Battlestar Galactica Seasons 4 & 4.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
(For the admin to resurrect and merge whenever anyone wants to create a thread specifically about Season 4.)

The Emmy-nominated and Peabody award-winning new Battlestar Galactica is the most politically-insightful show EVER in the history of American pop culture -- far more complex and dramatically-realistic than 24 or The West Wing. This re-imagined show (which is nothing like the usual escapist sci-fi, let alone the atrocious 1970s show from which it derives only vaguely its premise) intelligently explores themes ranging from terrorism, torture, war, religious faith, political campaigns, the tension between civilian and military authority in a fragile democracy, abortion, stem-cell research, genocide, marital problems, labor disputes, and, most recently throughout Season 3, the complicated politics of collaboration in an occupied regime. While the writing never feels too aping of current world issues, Ronald D. Moore and his staff show greater understanding of history and world affairs than most of the US media (except PBS) with its short-term sense of causality and American nationalist leanings that have led most recently to a war in Iraq that went largely unquestioned until it was too late.

It challenges conventional perceptions in US culture in very thoughtful ways. For example, the third season premiere – for which the show has been nominated with an Emmy for Outstanding Writing -- had the "heroes" engage in suicide bombings against the "villains" because, unlike most of the US media, the head writer understands that terrorism is a means, and not morally worse than war since both are terrible and violent means of solving political problems. This is not to say I agree with anything resembling Al Qaeda or its followers, but the American Revolution (especially in the South, where US soldiers would engage in hit and run attacks and use deceptive propaganda about British-allied natives raping white women) and French Resistance in WWII were terrorism, and Hitler used war, proving that war can be just as deplorable as terrorism in its goals and means.

What is equally impressive with how these issues are discussed is how the characters are portrayed. There is not one hero on this show who doesn't occasionally do "the wrong thing", but feels no guilt about it because they don't realize how wrong they are; there is not one character ("good guy" or "bad") who does not show both dark and heroic traits in a way that is similar to human nature.

Without presenting simple answers, this show is so real that it can change how we traditionally look at our societies. I firmly believe this insight can reduce conflict in this world. What this program depicts so well is that “the other” is not as homogenously terrible as we might think and that “we” are not necessarily as good or as true to our principles as we’d like to believe; each side stereotypes the other and prejudges its individuals based on what the group has done. There is no pure good or evil person in this series, only what is in-between – that we all have the capacity for kindness and selfishness, for clarity and mistakes -- which is far truer to human nature.

I am a student of history and have been disillusioned and saddened to learn from many university professors that the biographical and other works (including many on the genius of the US founders) written by many historians are actually deceptive hagiographies, as are the high school history books that seek only to uphold those on "our" side while completely denigrating those on the other. It is my strong feeling that this approach to history has harmed societies, including the US and the rest of the West. It is only when we learn about the capacity for fault and kindness in all of us, and of our great heroes’ abilities to make mistakes that we may better judge our past and plan for the future as peoples and voters.

"Battlestar Galactica" is the kind of show that best resembles the reality of human relations. Perhaps its one slightly weak area is its exploration of romance, but the painful side of love is written beautifully. It deserves attention, despite losing to formulaic shows in televised award shows. It also features an impeccable cast of actors, including Academy Award Nominees Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell.

Check out the miniseries to see what I mean, if you're uncertain -- even just a few minutes. The show is best enjoyed from the start, and I can only vouch for the near perfection in subtle writing that are the miniseries and Season 1. There are incredible episodes in following seasons, but nowhere near the consistency of the first. This show is losing in the ratings and needs your help. The first 2 seasons are on DVD; Season 3 will be out in mid-March, 2008.

Season 4 begins April 4th, my babies.
NO SPOILERS, unless there's a way of blocking them out so people don't have to read them.
http://tv.ign.com/articles/850/850903p1.html
(I wouldn't read the caption at the end to avoid any hints of what's going to happen; I didn't.)

Season 3 is selling on amazon, and contains a redone 25 extra minutes-long version of the amazing "Unfinished Business". I can't wait, but I'm disappointed they didn't add in lots of character textures that were missing from many big episodes, which actors like Grace Park and Jaime Bamber have noted were lifted for time; I think "Torn"/"A Measure of Salvation", "Eye of Jupiter"/"Rapture" and even the finale "Crossroads 2" suffered heavily from this. Even "The Woman King" supposedly had a reference to Helo acting out of self-interest in having been looking for illegal activity to get back in Admiral Adama's good graces; it would have added a greater believability to his character if such footage had been integrated into the episode than just left as a deleted scene. I don't know why Ron Moore did this. It's a shame.

BSG has forever changed my views about the grand political spectrum.

UberBeaver said:
I'm psyched.
I am, too. A little sad, too. I don't want to say "bye" to Baltar.... :(

I don't know if anyone's seen these, but here are some cool Q & As with some of the cast, after Season 4 had started filming; you can actually see Col. Tigh smile!

They also mention some major celebs that love the show. It's Robin Williams favorite show; Quentin Tarantino eargerly spoke with Grace Park about the show at a party. I just read last night how Miguel Ferrier (who played the guy who invented Robocop and has acted in "Traffic" and many other things) said he absolutely loves the show. I just wish these folks would promote the show when they're on "The Tonight Show" promoting their own stuff. It could really bring in their fanbases. Such a shame.

Part 1:
http://media.tv.ign.com/media/821/821011/vid_2040008.html

Part 2:
http://media.tv.ign.com/media/821/821011/vid_2041383.html

Part 3:
http://media.tv.ign.com/media/821/821011/vid_2042493.html

Anyone having trouble playing these, here's the page where they're found:
http://media.tv.ign.com/media/821/821011/vids_1.html

LemonMacPhisto said:
BSG has forever changed my views about the grand political spectrum.

Me too. I used to think that GWB was a terrible president and that we should be more empathetic to the Arab world. After watching BSG though, I am now convinced that GWB is not only one of the top 2-3 best presidents in history, he is also quite probably a prophet from God.

I have also learned that we should nuke any country that doesn't uphold our Christian ideals.

Thank you, BSG!

Dalton said:

Me too. I used to think that GWB was a terrible president and that we should be more empathetic to the Arab world. After watching BSG though, I am now convinced that GWB is not only one of the top 2-3 best presidents in history, he is also quite probably a prophet from God.

I have also learned that we should nuke any country that doesn't uphold our Christian ideals.

Thank you, BSG!

Be sure to tell everyone you know about this show. Especially if you have a chance of being on national television, or hell, even public access.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Be sure to tell everyone you know about this show. Especially if you have a chance of being on national television, or hell, even public access.

Last night, I was having celebration sex with Alicia Keys and Amy Winehouse and as they were screaming "Oh God, Oh God!" I was shouting, "Thank you Battle Star Galactica!!!"

I talked them both into watching the show and penning some songs based on the politically insightful themes.

Was this thread started as a way of mocking me? I specifically stated in the other thread that a new one would start once the season began. We don't need anything "political" in the title, simply saying Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 would have sufficed.

Needless to say, I will still create a new thread later and if the mods need to merge, I will request they keep the thread title simple. We don't need anything more than that.

Whenever I read "politically insightful" and "Muldfeld" together now, I can't help but roll my eyes and say "Now there's a show that's no longer worth watching."

Dalton said:

Have I had you before? You don't call me by my Christian name.

Alicia and Amy, they can call me Dalton.

Here's the thing... I don't give a tuppenny fuck about your moral conundrum, you meat-headed shit-sack... That's pretty much the thing.

phanan said:
Precisely why it shouldn't be in the title. He's given good shows a bad rap by giving us all this political babble...

Especially when "politically insightful" is coming from someone who thinks certain writers did really good work on Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. That negates all credit for me.

Dalton said:

Last night, I was having celebration sex with Alicia Keys and Amy Winehouse and as they were screaming "Oh God, Oh God!" I was shouting, "Thank you Battle Star Galactica!!!"

I talked them both into watching the show and penning some songs based on the politically insightful themes.

They tried to make him wear a J-Hat, he said no, no no.

I still hate God for cancelling The 4400, you know? I don't know if I will forgive him in time to watch Season 4.

I have no idea what the fuck any of you people are talking about, but if it involves political insightfulness, I'm in.

the tourist said:
Especially when "politically insightful" is coming from someone who thinks certain writers did really good work on Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. That negates all credit for me.

Don't be knockin' some good shows, man.

(Buffy was better than Angel, overall.)

phanan said:
We don't need anything "political" in the title, simply saying Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 would have sufficed.

But no it wouldn't, don't you see? How can we possibly hope to convert the entire world to BSG fandom if we don't sell the show at every opportunity? Even if it means repeating ourselves word for word throughout multiple threads on the same forum, announcing show times as if we're TV Guide, and using every space available on the the thread title to advertise the show.

You don't deserve to watch BSG if you're not willing to whore it up among everyone you know, at every opportunity you can. :tsk:

Last edited:
You know, since the other thread is not at it's limit, I move that this thread gets merged with the other.

Since there is no season 4 yet.

corianderstem said:

Don't be knockin' some good shows, man.

Seriously? I watched about 2 seasons of Buffy cuz that was in the day when I thought Sarah Michelle Gellar was hotter than a microwave.

phillyfan26 said:
I still hate God for cancelling The 4400, you know? I don't know if I will forgive him in time to watch Season 4.
Dude, if you check http://www.the4400guide.com and http://www.savethe4400.net, you'll see the campaign has garnered attention. It wouldn't take much to get the show back on the air. USA never had the highest ratings. They kept meddling and those dull stand alone plots killed the season's ratings chances of picking up.

I hope you'll send a letter. There's a pre-written one if you download the petition signatures to date (Feb 1) from: http://www.savethe4400.com

I sent 6 bags of seeds, too.

Also, if it's any consolation, Ron Moore is an old buddy of Ira Steven Behr who executively produced and head-wrote The 4400. Ira worked with him on the early days of TNG's 3rd season, and Ron worked under him on DS9. Anyway, don't give up hope!

phanan said:
Was this thread started as a way of mocking me? I specifically stated in the other thread that a new one would start once the season began. We don't need anything "political" in the title, simply saying Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 would have sufficed.

Needless to say, I will still create a new thread later and if the mods need to merge, I will request they keep the thread title simple. We don't need anything more than that.
It wasn't to mock you, but this thread would provide a lighthouse for those already fans of the show with a silly-sounding name referencing a famously bad '70s show. The "politically-insightful" is meant to attract folks who might not be into sci fi. It's much smarter and better than average sci fi. I've also drawn in quite a few people by tagging the show truthfully as that. At the very least it draws attention, which is what the show needs. If the thread were simply titled "Battlestar Galactica", most people would ignore it. The show has always required that extra "umph" to get attention.

This was a preemptive attempt at creating a topic in reaction to YOUR mocking my earnest attempts. You don't have to talk politics if you don't want to, but this is a way of attracting attention to the show's useful layer of political commentary. If anything, it draws attention to the fact that it's a serious show and not simply the usual escapist nonsense with scantily dressed women a la Star Trek Voyager.

Besides, Mark Sheppard agrees with me in these first few seconds (contains Season 3 spoilers):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK1SghZqbbg

Also, let us not forget these words by the great James Callis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fos3nxMXRYc
"Genuinely, you can proselytize people. People who don't watch it, don't see it, don't know -- then they're the people who are missing out." He's also admitted to telling a casting agent, who falsely dismissed him as acting in "Stargate" (She'd confused STARgate and BattleSTAR Galactica), that she should watch the show and that it was "good for America."

The actors -- especially Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, James Callis, and Jaime Bamber -- have all spoken highly about the show's political relevance to the most pressing issues of our time, and it seems superficial to try and say discussion of the show should be so constrained to avoid acknowledging such relevance, when that is the source of so much of the writers and actors' passion for their work.
the tourist said:

I've said before those aren't amazing shows. I enjoyed them just like I enjoy "Lost". It doesn't mean I think they're politically-insightful or particularly educational for society. They're fun, mostly for the comedy, and the writers did proportionately good work for those shows. They have their faults and formulaic contrivances, but I think they're a hell of a lot better than most of what's on TV like "Grey's Anatomy" or "Desperate Housewives" or even "24" or "The Shield".

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

I'm torn on that one. I think Buffy's 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th seasons were pretty great; season 4 had some awful drama, but wonderfully funny moments. However, Angel's 3rd, 4th, and 5th season just might beat those. The finale was pretty awesome, too.

I keep trying to spread the word to my friends, but they just don't like it.

Even when I say how politically insightful it really is.

Philistines.

Back
Top Bottom