Battlestar Galactica Seasons 4 & 4.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was a satisfying ending, although things really slowed down there in the last 30 minutes or so.

What a run. The Plan looks great, and I'll be curious as to how Caprica goes with the DVD release next month.

I watched season one and two on dvds

and ripped through them pretty fast, probably 3 episodes a night over two weeks.

Anyways, I really enjoyed much of this series. I think the early seasons were much better than the later ones. I think it went downhill once they introduced the final 5 concept. It was just too convoluted.

I do not find it very satisfying that we are left with Starbuck being an Angel (that everybody saw) that just vanished into thin air the last 10 minutes of the series. :shrug:
but then again, these are not humans like us, this all took place 150,000 years ago and the whole time they were referring to Earth, it was never about our Earth or our ancestors.

Some times a program starts out with a good premise and just gets too clever for itself.

Still I am glad I went along for the ride. I just think season one, two and most of three were far superior to this last season.

Thinking about this more, I'm really quite struck by the underlying notion of solitude over the whole thing. First, it was the solitude of space, and the reality that, aside from plants existing on exoplanets they encounter, they're all alone with the Cylons that their ancestors had created. But then, even with the characters themselves, most of them are utterly solitary individuals, even when around other people.

What ultimately has taken me aback the most, I guess, is that the conclusion on new "Earth" is probably the loneliest moment of the entire series. They land on a planet with plenty of plant and--this time--animal life, but the people they run into are primitive and unadvanced. From their perspective, they might as well be mere "animal life." Couple this with the decision to divide the population onto the different continents, and it gets more solitary. Finally, we get the main characters, who are either left abandoned through "death" (The Admiral and Lee) or willingly choose to live the rest of their life in complete isolation (Tyrol and Adama, separately, plus Col. Tigh and Ellen, Baltar and Caprica Six, and Helo, Athena, and Hera, as individual families).

I guess I can't help but notice that, while most of the relevant plot elements were resolved, the characters themselves were left as messed up as ever!

did I get this wrong.

did they not land on "our" earth 150,000 years ago?

did they not present the premise that "Tera" is the first woman "Eve" that recent scientist are saying all humanity evolved from 150,000 years ago?

Baltar even suggested mating with these early men.

the premise that these 'humans" would want to go off and be by themselves was not believable to me.

I think they were trying to write in how human migration spread out of Africa and scattered.

Please help me get extended version cuts of the episodes of Season 4.5, which excluded pivotal material and left it for the deleted scenes section, by emailing Universal Home Video and Sci Fi to get Ron Moore the funds to do so:

Let's email Sci Fi and Universal Home video for extended episodes - SCI FI FORUMS

Okay, if you're like me you can't stand the rushed editing this last season has received and the lack of extended episodes that would add in much of the texture of Seasons 1 through some of Season 3. There's so much footage that gets cut for time.

For example, "Resurrection Ship, Part 2" had a key deleted scene that was left out of the cut that had Lee enunciate why he was feeling suicidal to Dualla and it really enhances our understanding of what he was going through in "Black Market".

Another example is Season 3's "A Measure of Salvation", which excluded a deleted scene in which Starbuck confronts Leoben and another in which Athena shows some subtlety in that her refusal to stop the genocide against her people may not be so cut and dry when she glances at Adama, after he addresses the troops. 2 brilliant scenes that should have been in the cut.

In fact, "Unfinished Business" was one of the few episodes that season that I knew was perfect from the moment I saw it and never needed an extended treatment, let alone the bloated version that lacked subtlety and made Dualla a self-punishing mess; the TV edit was far better. Of Season 3, "Torn"/"A Measure of Salvation", "Eye of Jupiter"/"Rapture" and the trial portions (which were amazing) of the last 3 episodes all needed it more.

Season 4.0 alone has far better versions of Adama confronting Kara in the prison cell in "Six of One" and of Tory and Tigh speaking to the Chief after his wife's death in the deleted scenes section.

There's also tons of stuff not even included in the deleted scenes, and it would be great for Sci Fi and Universal to include these in the blu ray release.

We pretty much got screwed on Season 4.0, but there's no reason 4.5 can't be even better than promised; "Blood on the Scales" is missing 40 minute of footage including pivotal stuff in which Romo has a great speech, Baltar properly explains his feelings about abandoning his followers, and lots of actions stuff. "Deadlock" is missing pivotal stuff in which Baltar's storyline is properly explained in terms of how he arms his people. Even "The Oath" is missing stuff Mark Verheiden felt was important. There's so much that can be done and there's no rush to put this DVD out so Ron and the writers can take their time in putting in what enhances the stories.

However, Ron Moore can't afford to do too many of such extended episodes, which requires him requesting funds from the network and Universal. So far, he's only been able to do it for his brilliant work on "A Disquiet Follows My Soul", "Daybreak", and Michael Taylor's "Islanded in a Stream of Stars".

So, let's help him and ourselves out by emailing Universal Home Video and Sci Fi channel and begging for the money to put together quality extended versions of episodes. Perhaps tell them that you've bought sets in the past and are willing to pay an extra 5 bucks for the extra discs it might take. If they realize there's an interest, they'll do it. This is our shot to get things right. If we miss this, it'll be 2.0 all over again (Remember when they excluded a couple of podcast and had no special features) because they'll have already produced the thing and there'll be no incentive to get it right.

Let's do this:
Universal Studios | Contact Us Form

feedback@scifi.com

I don't think it will get the WTF? reaction like the Soprano's finale.

Cally was posthumously responsible for our existence. Adama vomited all over the place. Anders flew the fucking ships into the sun.

Anders flew the fucking fleet into the sun.

Anders flew the fucking fleet into the sun.

Anders flew the fucking fleet into the sun\1!!!!!

Great finale. I feel entirely satisfied.

Lame.

Rest assured I was on the internet within minutes to register my disgust to the world.

Knowing that they were desperately trying to shoehorn in Hera as a mitochondrial Eve and "uh, God did it" without a decent why makes all of this prophecy look really underwhelming.

Kara Thrace chases a phantom heavy raider into a gas giant, her ship blows up, except she rematerializes on Earth, crashes, dies, is resurrected, and leads the fleet to fake-Earth. Why? The god-thing moving the fleet along was willing to blow up a sun to make signposts for them, why not a "thataway!" Oh well, great series.

mobvok,

I agree great series over four years

but this last season just got too convoluted

why bring in Bob Dylan's 'All along the watch tower' and even have them reciting lyrics, when this all happened 150,000 years before Dylan was even born. :no:

All of this has happened before, and will happen again. The series ended with Dylan's All Along the Watchtower, as apparently he is just the most recent person to write it. It just keeps repeating itself, recreating itself, replicating - like a fractal.

and why does an angel need to see a vision of her father (and that whole back story episode) and play the piano with him?

All of this has happened before, and will happen again. The series ended with Dylan's All Along the Watchtower, as apparently he is just the most recent person to write it. It just keeps repeating itself, recreating itself, replicating - like a fractal.

Considering Dylan in the early part of his career seemed to be writing brilliantly about things seemingly far beyond his own scope (like Watchtower), some kind of cosmic influence is actually believable.

I'm glad I'm not alone:

Obama Depressed, Distant Since 'Battlestar Galactica' Series Finale

WASHINGTON—According to sources in the White House, President Barack Obama has been uncharacteristically distant and withdrawn ever since last month's two-hour series finale of Battlestar Galactica.

"The president seems to be someplace else lately," said one high-level official, speaking on condition of anonymity. "Yesterday we were all being briefed on the encroachment of Iranian drone planes into Iraq, when he just looked up from the table and blurted out, 'What am I supposed to watch on Fridays at 10 p.m. now? Numb3rs?'"

"I haven't seen him this upset since Admiral Adama realized that Earth was actually an uninhabitable wasteland," the official continued. "Or at least that's what he told me. I don't actually watch the show. It's not really my thing."

Since the end of the series, Obama has reportedly brushed off key budgetary decisions, ignored his wife and children, and neglected his daily workouts, claiming that he no longer cares if he lets himself go "just like Lee did before the rescue on New Caprica."

In addition, sources confirmed that instead of meeting with Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner on Monday, the depressed president sat alone in the Oval Office, scouring Internet message boards for posts by other fans about the series conclusion.
Hoping to cheer himself up, Obama also decided to re-watch the extended director's cut of "Unfinished Business," a season three episode he once described as "bringing the Starbuck-Apollo relationship to a head in the best possible way."

Revisiting the series, however, has only made the president more miserable. After a staffer suggested he bring DVDs of the show along on a recent policy trip to Denver, Obama reportedly muttered under his breath, "What's the point? It's over."

"We were going over his schedule when he sighed and asked if I watched Battlestar," said a White House secretary, whom Obama used to playfully call "Billy." "I told him I was planning on it because my sister's a big fan, but he just stared out the window the whole time."

"I also noticed he took down his Battlestar Galactica season 4.5 poster," she added.

Obama watched the finale just as he had every previous episode, alone in the White House screening room with the volume turned all the way up. Sources said he emerged exhilarated and told several aides that the show's writers "wrapped things up the best they could, though the very end was a little much."

The commander in chief also bragged that he "totally called" the fact that "All Along The Watch Tower"would be used as the jump coordinates for the FTL drive.

Despite his initial excitement, by Monday morning the absence of the hour-long Sci-Fi program had begun to affect the president.
"I'm a little concerned," first lady Michelle Obama was overheard saying at a fundraising event Tuesday. "When Firefly was canceled, he walked around like a zombie for a week, and Serenity was the only thing that snapped him out of it. Last night he said he felt like he had just discovered David Axelrod was one of the Final Five, whatever that means."

A devoted fan of the original 1978 Battlestar Galactica, Obama was initially hesitant to watch the new series, saying he was upset to learn that hotshot pilot Starbuck would be played by a woman. However, during a particularly slow week in the U.S. Senate, Obama decided to rent the first season from Netflix.

Aides said Obama "blew through" season one in a weekend, then purchased season 2.0 from a local Best Buy, and, in order to catch up in time for season three, downloaded the majority of season 2.5 from iTunes.

"When we spoke last month, he said season three was his least favorite because some of the episodes with Helo and the Sagittarons—and pretty much anything that involved Cally—were boring and didn't advance the plot," Afghan president Hamid Karzai said. "But I told him that when you watch it all on DVD, and you don't have to wait a whole week for a new show, those peripheral episodes actually add new color to the already established world."

Added Karzai, "Lately, though, it seems like he'd rather talk about the resurgence of Taliban warlords in Kandahar than the show."
During an emergency press conference on Wednesday, Obama addressed his recent detachment, as well as various other matters facing the United States.

"Our nation finds itself in uncharted territory in the deep emptiness of space," Obama announced. "The Old Girl has limited supplies, no allies, and now, no hope. I never said this would be an easy journey. Yet I promise you this: There is a place where there is no war and no economic turmoil. It is where, according to the Sacred Scrolls handed down to us by the Lords of Kobol, the thirteenth tribe traveled over three thousand years ago. That place is called Earth. Not the other Earth. This Earth. It's complicated. Anyway, I plan to take us there."

Added Obama, "So say we all! So say we all! So say we all!"
terminator.gif

Awesome.

I finally got around to watching the finale a few days ago (was out of town). For the most part I found it a very satisfying ending, and though I didn't shed any tears I did find myself getting emotional several times throughout the episode. I think they could've done without the last couple minutes of "we're going to slap you in the face with how obvious the connection from their lives to our own is" schtick, though.

In truth, I've got a few episodes left in season 1 and I still don't really care. I'm giving the show an extended run cause so many of you said it was great, but there is no guarantee that I'm going to watch more than 2-3 episodes of season 2 at this rate.

I certainly can't see why numbnuts orgasmed every time the show was mentioned.

In truth, I've got a few episodes left in season 1 and I still don't really care. I'm giving the show an extended run cause so many of you said it was great, but there is no guarantee that I'm going to watch more than 2-3 episodes of season 2 at this rate.

I certainly can't see why numbnuts orgasmed every time the show was mentioned.

If the season 1 finale doesn't pull you in, I doubt anything in season 2 is going to change your mind.

But at least you've finally realized that JewHQ must be utterly destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom