Batman - The Dark Knight Rises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to say something about TDK, apropos of nothing, really:

I know that the film is far from perfect, and that Nolan is derided in certain circles, etc.

Spoiler alert -

I cannot name a recent or even semi-recent blockbuster type of film that had me more riveted or even uneasy than this one did. Maybe I'm a sucker or a fool, I don't know, but from the moment the hanging corpse slams against the glass of the mayor's office right up until the dual explosions where Dent and Rachel were being held, respectively, I was more or less on the edge of my seat and assumed that ANY character could die at any moment, outside of Wayne/Batman. I rarely, if ever, feel that way watching a film. I of course did not feel the same when I saw it for a 2nd time...but that first time was intense.

end spoiler

Again, this was no masterpiece, but considering the genre and the films that came before and after it from said genre, I think it had some remarkable moments and stands above its brethren. It also has Ledger's performance, which still blows me away while making me sad at the same time.

Anyway, yeah.

Gordon's "death" put everyone in my theater into a semi-coma.

Gordon's "death" put everyone in my theater into a semi-coma.

One of my comic book friend nerds who went with me opening night burst out, "WHAT THE FLYING FUCK...!" in amazement, amidst the silence and gasps.

forhashtagunaltered.jpg

I get e-mails from this site called BeInAMovie.com. They sent me one about Dark Knight Rises filming in Pittsburgh

Filming in Pittsburgh, PA on Saturday, August 6th. FILMING ONE DAY ONLY!!!

And it get's better:
Ages 14 and up (anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult). This is one of the main scenes in the film, and being on set will be a memory that lasts a lifetime. A full day of explosions, special effects, pyrotechnics, and stunt men!

So come spend the day on set with us in "Gotham City".
The scenes we're invited to be in are going to involve a football game; not just an ordinary football game, but one that takes place in Gotham City. And as you know, there is nothing ordinary about Gotham City. Something unexpected always happens in a city known for two things, crime and the Dark Knight!

Rumor has it that Catwoman in this version is a cat burglar, I pray that this is true so they can have some normal world version of that ridiculous character and a quasi-plausible reason for her dressing like that.

Rumor has it that Catwoman in this version is a cat burglar, I pray that this is true so they can have some normal world version of that ridiculous character and a quasi-plausible reason for her dressing like that.

Please Chris Nolan, literalize her for me!

For the sake of his version of this universe? Absolutely, how else can it work? Unless you make her an escaped Arkham patient that thinks she's a cat, but that probably wouldn't work for a Bruce Wayne love interest.

I have little problem with Catwoman's inclusion as it won't be anything like the '60s iterations (obviously) or more supernatural-leaning Burton approach. Making her a high-stakes cat burglar and uneasy ally with her own questionable moral compass makes a ton of sense in the Nolan-verse.

My only concern is with how poorly Nolan handles female characters in his work. They're more or less cyphers for a particular issue that the male protagonist is dealing with; the closest one comes to having a fully realized arc is Rebecca Hall's character in The Prestige... and that may be a good example of a solid actress elevating threadbare material.

Am I the only one who doesn't dislike Racehl Dawes? She isn't the most fully realized character but hardly a cardboard cutout. I kind of get what you mean about actresses raising the material, that was true with Carrie Ann Moss in Memento (a character that has several sides but all are barely written, she was the underrated element of that movie) and Cotillard and Page in Inception, neither character gets too much depth but you believe the actresses' emotion and distress.

If it's true we're getting Talia as well I doubt either one will have a huge focus in the film, especially given all the rest of the things they have to flesh out and tie up, I don't think a full length love tale is in the offing fro Bruce.

The character in Memento, for me, really wasn't very well fleshed out at all. I've seen the movie like three times now and I still have a bit of trouble understanding her motivations for certain actions because I don't think we really get into her head as a character.

That being said, I don't feel like we ever really get into any one's shoes really in that movie because everything's so fucked up, you know?

Kind of off-topic, but the Catwoman as portrayed in the next Arkham City game looks really fucking awesome.

Kind of off-topic, but the Catwoman as portrayed in the next Arkham City game looks really fucking awesome.

Yeah, holy shit. Plowed through Arkham Asylum in about 2 days. Can't wait for the follow-up.

The character in Memento, for me, really wasn't very well fleshed out at all. I've seen the movie like three times now and I still have a bit of trouble understanding her motivations for certain actions because I don't think we really get into her head as a character.

That being said, I don't feel like we ever really get into any one's shoes really in that movie because everything's so fucked up, you know?

Oh I agree we don't understand her, I was just saying that Moss gives a great performance in a fractured role.

Am I the only one who doesn't dislike Racehl Dawes? She isn't the most fully realized character but hardly a cardboard cutout.

Despite popular opinion, I thought Holmes' Rachel was OK. But again that was down to the performance. She portrayed 'a cute little Assistant D.A.' (Flass quote) who was completely out of her depth with relative ease, and also brought a bit of warmth to a severely underwritten role which could quite easily have come across as smug and holier than thou (see Maggie Gyllenhaal's take on the character). Holmes and Murphy also had a strange chemistry in the little screen-time they shared.

Back
Top Bottom