Batman - The Dark Knight Rises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Heath was still alive, you're looking at a 100% different movie, not just him exiling people in a kangaroo court.

TDKR has neither the freshness of a reboot (Begins) on its side, nor a truly memorable villain (the incomparable Heath in TDK). Begins, to be fair, had dull villains, but Nolan's bold "realistic" take is the driving force that keeps it fresh and interesting for me.
I agree, Begins wasn't really about the villians is about the 'how' and the 'why'.

I think most of TDKR problems stem from Bane. He's such a limited one note character, by the 90 minute mark I'd lost all interest in his agendas. The key to The Joker was his unpredictability, genuine menace and chilling machinations. Bane wants to reduce Gotham to ashes. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I disagree. Yes, Bane is a one note character but the reason he worked and this movie worked in my opinion is that
you realize it's not his agenda at all. Bane is a puppet character. I mean the twist was fairly obvious if you knew the comics(even in the very limited factor like myself) but I think it made the movie work.

Not the best of the series but still overall great movie. I took my wife with me, and she's not a fan of comic movies in the least bit, but she was enthralled. Afterwards she was asking me certain questions and I kept pointing out the references to Begins that were in the movie only to realize she had never seen it. So we came home and watched that right afterwards. We soon realized that the two things we missed in Rises were the stylized Gotham and the use of Batman's cape and grapling devices.

To be fair, Bruce did use a grappling-type device when he visited Gordon in the hospital. Though he wasn't in costume.

I actually loved how they showed him halfway back, like he couldn't go all the way and put on the whole costume, but has the black ski mask. Never seen anything like that before.

yes, we did get him in the end, and we have his origin story
but won't he need someone to be paired up with, I think I heard there was a Batman reboot and director already selected, so he could be in that?

yes, we did get him in the end, and we have his origin story
but won't he need someone to be paired up with, I think I heard there was a Batman reboot and director already selected, so he could be in that?

I think we could see him going at it alone. I've heard nothing about a Batman reboot at this time. I'm sure there will be one, but I think its really an understatement to say its way too soon for that.

Finally saw it yesterday. It had just enough to keep me from checking out of the film completely, but overall I found it disappointing. Like in TDK, I felt that Bruce/Batman was something like a guest in his own movie, here even more so because he's taken out of the events in Gotham for such a long stretch. Unfortunately, unlike TDK the film doesn't have someone as compelling as Joker or even Harvey Dent. Like many I at times found it hard to understand Bane's dialogue, but my biggest problem with Bane's voice was that I thought it was too high-pitched and ridiculous. I don't know if they deliberately tried not to replicate Darth Vader's mask-voice or something, but to me it completely undermined the scariness of the character. And as for the twist,

yeah it was a neat twist, I didn't see it coming at all. But aside from that one "gotcha!" moment, it doesn't really leave you with much else. Bane is relegated to the role of the puppet, and Miranda, until the big reveal, is basically a "nothing" character who gets to have a very forced romance with Bruce, and she doesn't get to do much after the reveal either.

Anne Hathaway and her heavenly red lipstick was my favourite part of the movie, she really added some colour and fun to the proceedings and had great rapport with Bruce/Batman. As before, I've enjoyed Michael Caine and Gary Oldman in their roles, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a good addition as well.

Hey, my Olly Moss TDKR finally arrived! Now to get it framed.

rmtm5t.jpg

I just watched Batman Returns for the first time in ages. I wonder what a third from Tim Burton would have looked like. Returns was better than I remember.

TDK Rises didnt have a sense of humour

OK, its batman and its dark, but other than the 'call me' by a guy who got beat up by the cat burglar, there wasnt really a lot else to say for a a moment of levity

There was too much emphasis about 'having a voice' (ie an indirect attack on The Tea Party movement) with regards to a potential upcoming election

Most of Hathaway's scenes had humorous moments, including her disappearing on Batman and him responding "So that's what that feels like", which got one of the biggest laughs from the audience I saw it with.

Most of the scenes with Lucius Fox also have humor.

And there's also funny lines from Bane, like his "Do you feel like you're in charge?"

her disappearing on Batman and him responding "So that's what that feels like", which got one of the biggest laughs from the audience I saw it with.

Also a moment of Bruce Wayne quipping to himself in his Batman voice, which was one of the dumbest things in a film filled to the brim with dumb shit.

Back
Top Bottom