Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #496
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I was surprised by how much I liked Catwoman, as I may have already said. I expect to kind of hate her, and I decidedly did not.

My biggest problem with the film was the lack of backstory for Bane. Not the person, but the villain. Like, where the fuck did the mask come from? It seemed like they were relying a bit too hard on the audience just knowing who Bane was and what the mask did, and I was kind of irritated with that throughout the film, waiting for the explanation to come.
His back story is certainly there, more than any of the previous villains, you're just talking about an explanation for how the mask worked. Which was implied, and I didn't feel we needed to know more about it's function ala Lucius Fox explaining things to Bruce.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #497
ONE
love, blood, life

One last thing, another reason this was more enjoyable to me, Bale gets the chance to actually anchor the movie and has quite the arc, which is why despite its more modest scope and cast I always preferred Batman Begins to TDK, it's all about Bruce Wayne as a living, breathing and tortured person. Every previous Batman movie made Wayne nothing but his playboy image and even Batman plays second fiddle to the villains. Here they manage to create the epic scope and balance of the ensemble that TDK accomplished, while still allowing Bruce to have that great arc and depth.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #498
The Male

Local Time: 03:22 AM
I really loved the interactions between Bruce and Alfred, I got a bit choked up when they had to split up, and on to Bruce's "death." Michael Caine is a tour-de-force in TDKR, for the little screen time he gets.

Not sure that I agree TDKR "stands on its own more." This film definitely brings the trilogy closest to being a cheesy, heartwarming action series. The entire plot is some shit about the hero being down on his luck and triumphing over adversity, and the ending is hilarious (if necessary; like Nolan would ever have the nerve to kill Batman). It's been done a thousand times, and less absurdly. It's not like TDK was a revolution in filmmaking, but it messed with your head a lot more. TDKR is more about brute force and pulled heartstrings, which is a weakness, but I can see why some would find it more appealing. You definitely want to throw up a bit when TDK ends.

I will say that the twist was a very pleasant surprise. I couldn't buy Bane as the sole villain. I knew he had to be answering to someone.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I really loved the interactions between Bruce and Alfred, I got a bit choked up when they had to split up, and on to Bruce's "death." Michael Caine is a tour-de-force in TDKR, for the little screen time he gets.

Not sure that I agree TDKR "stands on its own more." This film definitely brings the trilogy closest to being a cheesy, heartwarming action series. The entire plot is some shit about the hero being down on his luck and triumphing over adversity, and the ending is hilarious (if necessary; like Nolan would ever have the nerve to kill Batman). It's been done a thousand times, and less absurdly. It's not like TDK was a revolution in filmmaking, but it messed with your head a lot more. TDKR is more about brute force and pulled heartstrings, which is a weakness, but I can see why some would find it more appealing. You definitely want to throw up a bit when TDK ends.

I will say that the twist was a very pleasant surprise. I couldn't buy Bane as the sole villain. I knew he had to be answering to someone.
so true on Caine's performances.. stellar IMO. And even the second time I got choked with those scenes with Bruce and death scene.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #500
Refugee

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Caine really had to do almost all the emotional heavy lifting in the movie. I've always been impressed with his spot on portrayal of Alfred and have enjoyed him in all three movies.

So, what did Bane's voice remind people of? I'd have to go with the Elephant Man as portrayed by Scrooge McDuck. But I could also hear it as General Grievous impersonating Sean Connory. Any other thoughts?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #501
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
But I could also hear it as General Grievous impersonating Sean Connory.
This. Perfect.

Now.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #502
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
Sean Connory.
I heard Connery when Bane said this:

"It doeshhn't matter who we arrrre... what mattersh ish ouuur plaan. No one cared who I washh until I put on the mahhshk."
Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #503
The Male

Wow, this film's been out for four days and its box office numbers have already surpassed its $250 million budget. Looks like it's on a good pace to pass up TDK's ridiculous $1 billion box office.

Now.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #504
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:22 AM
This is a pretty unusual film series for me in that I find it especially difficult to rank these three films from best to worst. Much easier done with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Spiderman, X-Men, etc.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #505
Blue Crack Addict

1. TDK
2. Batman Begins
3. TDKR
Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #506
Blue Crack Distributor

Christian Bale popped 'round today to see the victims. A lovely gesture.

Christian Bale in town visiting victims of shooting - The Denver Post
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #507
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:22 AM
That's a nice gesture on Bale's part. There was a movement across social media to get him to do it in the Batsuit, which would have been the god damn stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #508
Blue Crack Distributor

Yes. Not at all triggering or traumatic!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #509
45:33

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor
That's a nice gesture on Bale's part. There was a movement across social media to get him to do it in the Batsuit, which would have been the god damn stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Yeah I saw that. My eyes nearly rolled out of their sockets. How contrived would that be??

At any rate, great stuff from Bale.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #510
Blue Crack Supplier

"Sir, you can't park your car in the ambulance zone."

"THIS ISN'T A CAR."

"Where are the shooting victims located?"

"I'm sorry sir, hospital policy prevents us from giving out that kind of infor--"

"WHERE IS IT??"