Batman - The Dark Knight Rises - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #466
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:52 PM
I spent the first half or so feeling a little like I wasn't liking it as much as the last one. And then shit started going down, and I spent the rest of the movie on the edge of my seat. Literally!

(I'm one of those people who flinch and say "ooh" and stuff when they're really involved in a tense movie. Heh.)

I had some things to nitpick about it, but I'm not really interested in doing that. I loved that I was so involved in it once I got over the initial skepticism. And I got a big grin on my face every time the big dramatic Batman music came in, which is always nice.

.... I lied, I'll say one thing - Catwoman seemed kind of unnecessary. They obviously needed a character who could fight and hold her own, but did it have to be Catwoman per se? Oh well.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #467
Refugee

Local Time: 09:52 PM
I wanted more Catwoman. (specifically: Her stealing from someone before Bruce, with a news report calling her Catwoman. And another scene with her and Batman.)

Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #468
Blue Crack Distributor

I was surprised by how much I liked Catwoman, as I may have already said. I expect to kind of hate her, and I decidedly did not.

My biggest problem with the film was the lack of backstory for Bane. Not the person, but the villain. Like, where the fuck did the mask come from? It seemed like they were relying a bit too hard on the audience just knowing who Bane was and what the mask did, and I was kind of irritated with that throughout the film, waiting for the explanation to come.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #469
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Really enjoyed the movie, but I found some of the dialog hard to understand, especially Bane. And then trying to follow along the backstory of some characters was difficult, too.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #470
Blue Crack Addict

It sounds like maybe some of the theaters got a bad copy of the audio. I went to a local Loews cinema with an imax screen and had zero trouble understanding any dialogue.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #471
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Yeah I think if I do go see it again before the Blu Ray, I'll try and get to an IMAX screening.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #472
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Being gigantic and sprawling was the movie's benefit and problem- occasional moments where the enormous scale of events really came through, and frequent moments where my brain glazed over a bit because there wasn't really a thread to hold my interest.

When the plane sequence came out ~6 months ago I could barely even hear Bane, but in the final release it was almost comic how front in the mix they put him.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #473
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 PM
TDKR was pretty good. But it did lack something...

Batman 60s - One of the Most Ludicrous Scenes Ever - YouTube
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:52 PM
well I loved it. Saw it twice this weekend..
Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #475
Blue Crack Distributor

I had trouble hearing a lot of the dialogue, from several characters; it seemed like the volume could just have been too low in my theater.

All I got from Bane was that the mask somehow "held in" his intense pain? There were one or two lines about it, but not a lot of explanation.

One nitpicky question: how the hell did Bruce get back into Gotham after getting out of the Pit Of Despair? I don't mind not having the details of how he got back to the US, but how did he get into the city itself? I guess Batman has all sorts of secret passageways, but that seemed like a miss.

It's like the bit in The Dark Knight where Batman jumps out the window with Rachel, and we're left to assume that the Joker ... what? Shrugged, said "oh well" and did a little shuffle dance out the door with his goons?

Oh, thought of another thing - I didn't like the kid singing the anthem that played under the set-up Bane's takeover. It was good and tense for a set-up, but it seemed almost jarring to have that "This movie takes place in America" reminder. You know? I know there've been references to the president, and the military, but Gotham to me is Gotham, existing outside of the realm of the real world, and the country itself is unimportant.

So that felt weird to me.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #476
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:52 AM
I really enjoyed the police chase when Batman made his return. After that scene I was on the edge of the seat.

The only thing that bothered me was when Batman was in his cave without the mask. There was no black around his eyes, but then I figured it might've been a nod to Batman Returns.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #477
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
One nitpicky question: how the hell did Bruce get back into Gotham after getting out of the Pit Of Despair? I don't mind not having the details of how he got back to the US, but how did he get into the city itself? I guess Batman has all sorts of secret passageways, but that seemed like a miss.
This entire plot line amused me. The movie in general was a weird cross between Rocky 3 and Rocky 5 (losing someone you care about, getting your ass beat, rehabilitating, doing something awesome while everyone cheers you on and, with regards to 5, going broke and receiving a bad piece of news from the doctor that "prevents" you from working) but that shit where he climbed out of the hole and was instantly in Gotham cracked me up. Did he get a ride to the airport? Did he walk there...presumably across oceans? What the fuck?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #478
Blue Crack Supplier

Cori, I remember reading about Bane's mask before the movie came out (from press stuff; the few Batman books I have don't include the character) and seeing an explanation of his condition, but was surprised when it was only touched upon briefly in the film.

Apparently the mask releases a steady stream painkillers (perhaps in some kind of vaporized form) to keep up with his chronic spinal condition. When Batman damaged the mask later on, it gave him the upper hand as his opponent was in excruciating pain.

Don't really have a problem with the "how did Bruce get back to Gotham" issue, as according to the countdown he had a number of days to do so, and I think all can agree that he's a pretty resourceful guy who surely has connections all over the world.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #479
Blue Crack Distributor

I got enough out of it to know that Batman breaking the mask put Bane at a big disadvantage, but yeah, an extra sentence or two would have been nice for those of us who love the movies but have never seen a peep of the source material.

I didn't mind so much the missing link of him getting across the world (likewise how he got to Italy at the end - I didn't buy for a second that he was legit "broke." Also, billionnaires have connections.), but just waltzing back into the city.

"Stop, who dares try and cross Gotham's Bane Barricade!"

"Uh ... Bruce Wayne."

"Oh hey, man. Welcome home. Come on in."
Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #480
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:52 PM
How'd he get from the Pit to Gotham? Well, he's the god damn Batman.

I went back and read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth today. That shit needs to be a movie.