Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:38 PM
the HATH!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #275
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I've been considering which titles Nolan may be drawing from for story inspiration. Knightfall's obvious, as is the Loeb/Sale The Long Halloween/Haunted Knight/Dark Victory run. I wonder though, how much of Year One will factor back in with The Hath/Catwoman's involvement.

Also, given that the title is a direct reference to a chapter in The Dark Knight Returns, could it be suggested that Bane and Catwoman could also embody elements of that piece as well? Perhaps Bane and Cat will share characteristics with The Mutant Leader (the bit at the end of the trailer with Bane/Bats may suggest that) and Carrie Kelly's Robin, respectively. Bane's appearance along with his flunkies evoke those cronies, pre-Sons of Batman, to me at least.

This is all geek conjecture, mind you.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
The Hath
Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #277
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Old 08-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #278
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:38 PM
So graceful!

Alright, I'm done with spoilers
Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Old 08-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #280
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Who said Nolan couldn't have any fun?

Oh, that's right. Everyone.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #281
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Nolan can and does have a lot of fun, my major turn off for his Batman films. (Is it ok at this point for me to not have to back up every complaint I make about the films by saying, "But I still do enjoy the movies, they're just not my favorites of his?" because I feel like I'm doing that with almost every other post about these movies)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #282
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The more I think about him and his work, the more that he reminds me of Ridley Scott. Nolan certainly has more of an authorial voice than Scott; he's very set on the philosophical and intellectual deconstruction of classical pulp genres (detective noir, the superhero, magic, the heist flick) and is a solid enough craftsman to deliver on his material. My main issue with him is that he tries to both be a populist and drive his "intellectual" points home, generally by distrusting the viewer. His characters rarely act, but spend time talking in broad, thematic strokes. Michael Caine can spew monologues about tangerines in Burma and sell that moment, while Ellen Page is saddled with being an exposition machine/audience surrogate and drowns in the material. In my opinion, in his deconstruction, he robs the material of its cinematic potential as much as he lives up to it. That being said, if we needed the first 2 hours of Inception to get to the final 45 minutes, then I'm okay with that. It's the most thrilling and vibrant filmmaking of his career thus far.

I like all of his films and respect what he's been able to accomplish within the studio system. These are nagging issues that I've had with his technique after seeing Inception.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
The more I think about him and his work, the more that he reminds me of Ridley Scott. Nolan certainly has more of an authorial voice than Scott; he's very set on the philosophical and intellectual deconstruction of classical pulp genres (detective noir, the superhero, magic, the heist flick) and is a solid enough craftsman to deliver on his material. My main issue with him is that he tries to both be a populist and drive his "intellectual" points home, generally by distrusting the viewer. His characters rarely act, but spend time talking in broad, thematic strokes. Michael Caine can spew monologues about tangerines in Burma and sell that moment, while Ellen Page is saddled with being an exposition machine/audience surrogate and drowns in the material. In my opinion, in his deconstruction, he robs the material of its cinematic potential as much as he lives up to it. That being said, if we needed the first 2 hours of Inception to get to the final 45 minutes, then I'm okay with that. It's the most thrilling and vibrant filmmaking of his career thus far.

I like all of his films and respect what he's been able to accomplish within the studio system. These are nagging issues that I've had with his technique after seeing Inception.
Yeah, that really kills most of his work for me. And that comparison is apt, though (of course hur hur) I'd argue Nolan doesn't quite have Scott's visual chops, workmanlike though the latter's might be as well. But just take a look at Scott's first three features and his student work and compare to any of Nolan's films. Yeah.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #284
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Yeah, that really kills most of his work for me. And that comparison is apt, though (of course hur hur) I'd argue Nolan doesn't quite have Scott's visual chops, workmanlike though the latter's might be as well. But just take a look at Scott's first three features and his student work and compare to any of Nolan's films. Yeah.
I'd lump Legend into that early batch as well as far as style is concerned; I still need to see The Duellists. Most of his work feels so goddamn rote and dispassionate, which is a shame, since Alien and Blade Runner show a strong command of nearly every facet of production.

At least we've got Tony.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Tony is GOD. Except his early films* are pretty shitty, inversely proportionate to his bro.

*Loving Memory, Hunger, etc.