Batman - The Dark Knight Rises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Terrible terrible news.

I have tickets for the 7:30PM showing tonight and I don't even feel like going.

I don't think the day of the week matters. But obviously this guy did it at night so he could get that stuff in there, however he did it. And for maximum crowd, maximum impact. As awful as that sounds. Some witnesses say that someone got up, a person who was already in the theater, on a phone-and opened the emergency door. If that's the case he had an accomplice, or it was him and he brought the big guns inside that way. His car was right outside the door.

I don't know about anyone else here, but the theater I go to has virtually no security (police officers on Fri and Sat night, that's it). For a few years after 9/11 they had signs that said no backpacks, large bags, etc but they never searched bags or any of that. Only signs now say no outside food, they'd probably stop a bag for that. Not now, after this. Hopefully they'll have bigger concerns than that. No employees ever "guarding" the emergency doors, none of that. I've often thought of that, but it's a place for me that is supposed to be an escape. I go almost every week, and for a couple of hours that's what it is for me.

It's not like I'm afraid, I got on a plane 2 months after 9/11 and I'm not going to let whack jobs dictate my life or live in fear because of them. But it feels creepy and inappropriate to go today. I don't think I will. Only good thing to come out of it will be better security at movie theaters, but it's also pathetic that it has come to this. So damn depressing.

I am going to see the movie at 3:00 today at a theater that has a bigger screen than many IMAX theaters. I expect to really enjoy it. Still don't think it will be as good as TDK.

and I will say that thing that happen in CO last night is terrible. It has very little to do with this film. It has very much to do with one individual and his terrible deeds. I am not minimizing the tragedy. But this guy could have attacked at any number of places where groups of people congregate.

Trying in vain to focus this back on the films, and I feel shitty for even doing that:

After giving Batman Returns a second try today, I think I'd rank the films thusly:

Batman > Dark Knight > Batman Begins > Batman Returns = Dark Knight Rises > Batman Forever > Batman and Robin

There's a huge dropoff after TDKR. I can't decide between Batman Returns and TDKR because they're radically different films and both hang in the 7 area for me.

I will likely always consider 1989 Batman my favorite because Michael Keaton will always have the charm, humor and grace that Bale lacks in the part, and Nicholson is right up there with Ledger. Both performances are legendary. I also prefer the look of Burton's Gotham to Nolan's generic NYC/Chicago hybrid. The stories in both films are great. Aaron Eckhart's brilliant Two Face almost evens it out.

Doesn't mean he's any less mentally ill. Some people will yell and scream at violence in entertainment, but it doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

I will likely always consider 1989 Batman my favorite because Michael Keaton will always have the charm, humor and grace that Bale lacks in the part, and Nicholson is right up there with Ledger. Both performances are legendary. I also prefer the look of Burton's Gotham to Nolan's generic NYC/Chicago hybrid. The stories in both films are great. Aaron Eckhart's brilliant Two Face almost evens it out.

Yeah, maybe try looking at this without the nostalgia filter.

I've always had a problem with Keaton's casting, but after TDKR, there is no doubt in my mind that Keaton could never have pulled off the range of what Bale did in this final installment. His despair, his rebirth, the iconic heroism, and finally the terrifying menace he brings when he confronts Bane at the end. I don't believe that anyone could have hit all of these notes on average as well as Bale.

TDK > Batman Begins > Batman > TDKR > Batman Returns > Batman Forever > Batman & Robin (the last two at least are a no-brainer).

Plenty to like in this one but unfortunately doesn't have Heath's riveting performance. I still admire the work spent to lift this series above and beyond the comic book / superhero genre, so if making Gotham less gothic / artistic and more NYC then so be it.

I'd put it on the same level as Begins, maybe a bit better. It certainly has some of the cheesiness of that film. The Nolans are certainly fans of the comics; Selina Kyle is straight out of Year One.

Also, did Selina kill Bane at the end or just send him skidding out of the room? Crappy exit either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
these points tend to go down a bit

TDK is at 94%

this is down to 87%
about the same as Batman Begins

I think I just lowered my expectations a bit.

Batman Begins was far better than the Dark Knight.

Well then the same rule should apply to the Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and every other specific discussion thread on this board. I mean, if it wasn't for torrents I'd be way behind on those shows and been spoiled week after week.

Or maybe people who haven't seen the film / latest episode yet shouldn't open the thread. It's not a spoiler when it's on general release.

And if that's how Bane goes out then it is a bit abrupt, especially with that awful quip.

Exactly, seeking out information online is done at one's own risk.

But this is all moot, I'm sure no one here is dumb enough to open this thread before seeing the movie.

The thread has existed since January, and the incident in Colorado brought on its own discussion here, plenty of people here before they see/saw the movie, so don't call people dumb for reading a thread and expecting posters to use common courtesy and not reveal the ending when the movie had been in release for about 36 hours.

You'll notice other folks commented that they weren't keen on the ending, but didn't reveal what it was, common sense says many folks haven't seen the movie by saturday morning. Its a tad different than a TV show where an episode airs once and everyone watches at that time, people will be seeing this movie over the next several weeks, and some later on DVD.

Hewson said:
The thread has existed since January...

Its a tad different than a TV show where an episode airs once and everyone watches at that time, people will be seeing this movie over the next several weeks, and some later on DVD.

Oh yes I'm sure everyone in America can watch Breaking Bad as it airs, maybe not those of us outside the country though. But that's still ok to discuss freely, even when some folks are coming to the show late via DVD?

My comment about the ending was right at the end of my post not related to the shooting anyway, so anyone in here wishing to comment exclusively on this despicable tragedy could have skimmed right over it.

I'm just annoyed by your nannying of a thread set up for discussion of a particular film. The film is out and Warner Bros. have made that fact pretty obvious. I certainly didn't open the thread from Thursday until I saw it as all other discussion threads become full of people discussing plot details. Because of the iPhone app I can't even go into Zoo Station at all until I can see the new Breaking Bad ep for myself, but that's fine with me.

If you're going to get your knickers in a twist about spoilers to a film in its own thread, there are plenty of other threads that you might wish to consider policing.

Have to say, I've always found it odd that people say "put it in spoilerz!!!1!"

I didn't read all of the Breaking Bad and Community threads until I was fully caught up. Everyone else should be free to discuss in full, minute details.

I've scrolled past any posts in this thread that might have anything to do with the actual movie.

If you don't want to be spoiled, avoid the thread until you have a chance to see it.

As for the movie, I loved it. It was the perfect ending to Nolan's trilogy, and I don't think anyone will be able to top it anytime soon. He set the bar high. I like how it tied everything from the first movie together. I really liked the ending, Bruce Wayne finally got his happy ending.

Anne Hatheway was great as Catwoman. I was a little worried that she wouldn't be able to pull the part off, but she was perfect for it. Tom Hardey was great as Bane. Based on the trailers I thought he might be hard to understand, so I'm glad they cleaned up his dialog. Joshua Gorden Levitt can take up the Batman mantel, and I liked the little reveal about his real name. Albert's goodbye was well done. I love Michael Cane.

Definitely going to go see it again.

The fact that no one ever explicitly referred to her as "Catwoman" was a strike in the film's favor.

Back
Top Bottom