Awards Season 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crazy Heart is at 94% on RT

Roper and the other guy said skip it or rent it. (lovely bones)

looks like the emperor Jackson's new clothes aren't going over so well this time

BROADCAST FILM CRITICS:

BEST PICTURE
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Invictus
Nine
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up In The Air

BEST ACTOR
Jeff Bridges – “Crazy Heart”
George Clooney – “Up In The Air”
Colin Firth – “A Single Man”
Morgan Freeman – “Invictus”
Viggo Mortensen – “The Road”
Jeremy Renner – “The Hurt Locker”

BEST ACTRESS
Emily Blunt – “The Young Victoria”
Sandra Bullock – “The Blind Side”
Carey Mulligan – “An Education”
Saoirse Ronan – “The Lovely Bones”
Gabourey Sidibe – “Precious”
Meryl Streep – “Julie & Julia”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Matt Damon – “Invictus”
Woody Harrelson – “The Messenger”
Christian McKay – “Me And Orson Welles”
Alfred Molina – “An Education”
Stanley Tucci – “The Lovely Bones”
Christoph Waltz – “Inglourious Basterds”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Marion Cotillard – “Nine”
Vera Farmiga – “Up In The Air”
Anna Kendrick – “Up In The Air”
Mo’Nique – “Precious”
Julianne Moore – “A Single Man”
Samantha Morton – “The Messenger”

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS
Jae Head – “The Blind Side”
Bailee Madison – “Brothers”
Max Records – “Where The Wild Things Are”
Saoirse Ronan – “The Lovely Bones”
Kodi Smit-McPhee – “The Road”

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
Inglourious Basterds
Nine
Precious
Star Trek
Up In The Air

BEST DIRECTING
Kathryn Bigelow – “The Hurt Locker”
James Cameron – “Avatar”
Lee Daniels – “Precious”
Clint Eastwood – “Invictus”
Jason Reitman – “Up In The Air”
Quentin Tarantino – “Inglourious Basterds”

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Mark Boal – “The Hurt Locker”
Joel Coen & Ethan Coen – “A Serious Man”
Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber – “(500) Days Of Summer”
Bob Peterson, Peter Docter – “Up”
Quentin Tarantino – “Inglourious Basterds”

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Wes Anderson, Noah Baumbach – “Fantastic Mr. Fox”
Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchell – “District 9”
Geoffrey Fletcher – “Precious”
Tom Ford, David Scearce – “A Single Man”
Nick Hornby – “An Education”
Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner – “Up In The Air”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Barry Ackroyd – “The Hurt Locker”
Dion Beebe – “Nine”
Mauro Fiore – “Avatar”
Andrew Lesnie – “The Lovely Bones”
Robert Richardson – “Inglourious Basterds”

BEST ART DIRECTION
Dan Bishop – “A Single Man”
Rick Carter, Robert Stromberg – “Avatar”
John Myhre, Gordon Sim – “Nine”
Naomi Shohan, George De Titta, Jr. – “The Lovely Bones”
David Wasco, Sandy Reynolds Wasco – “Inglourious Basterds”

BEST EDITING
Dana E. Glauberman – “Up In The Air”
Sally Menke – “Inglourious Basterds”
Bob Murawski, Chris Innis – “The Hurt Locker”
Stephen Rivkin, John Refoua, James Cameron – “Avatar”
Claire Simpson, Wyatt Smith – “Nine”

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Colleen Atwood – “Nine”
Janet Patterson – “Bright Star”
Sandy Powell – “The Young Victoria”
Anna Sheppard – “Inglourious Basterds”
Casey Storm – “Where The Wild Things Are”

BEST MAKEUP
District 9
Nine
The Road
Star Trek

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
District 9
The Lovely Bones
Star Trek

BEST SOUND
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Nine
Star Trek

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Princess And The Frog
Up

BEST ACTION MOVIE
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek

BEST COMEDY
(500) Days Of Summer
The Hangover
It’s Complicated
The Proposal
Zombieland

BEST PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Gifted Hands
Grey Gardens
Into The Storm
Taking Chance

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Broken Embraces
Coco Before Chanel
Red Cliff
Sin Nombre
The White Ribbon

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Anvil
Capitalism: A Love Story
The Cove
Food, Inc.
Michael Jackson’s This Is It

BEST SONG
“All Is Love” – Karen O, Nick Zinner – “Where The Wild Things Are”
“Almost There” – Randy Newman – “The Princess And The Frog”
“Cinema Italiano” – Maury Yeston – “Nine”
“(I Want To) Come Home” – Paul McCartney – “Everybody’s Fine”
“The Weary Kind” – T Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham – “Crazy Heart”

BEST SCORE
Michael Giacchino – “Up”
Marvin Hamlisch – “The Informant!”
Randy Newman – “The Princess and the Frog”
Karen O, Carter Burwell – “Where The Wild Things Are”
Hans Zimmer – “Sherlock Holmes”

Wow, those were my BP predictions.

I love a lot of things about this list.

New York Film Critics Circle

Best Picture
“The Hurt Locker”

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker”

Best Actor
George Clooney, “Fantastic Mr. Fox” and “Up in the Air”

Best Actress
Meryl Streep, “Julie & Julia”

Best Supporting Actor
Christoph Waltz, “Inglourious Basterds”

Best Supporting Actress
Mo’Nique, “Precious”

Best Screenplay
“In the Loop”

Best Cinematography
“The White Ribbon”

Best Animated Film
“Fantastic Mr. Fox”

Best Non-Fiction Film
“Of Time and the City”

Best Foreign Language Film
“Summer Hours”

Best First Feature
“Hunger”

I must say, I can't believe how much momentum The Hurt Locker has maintained throughout this year into the awards season. This is fantastic. I mean, it's not one of my favorite films of the year, but I'd love nothing more than to see Bigelow take her own award come Oscar night. And did anyone really expect the film to do quite this well so far? This is exciting.

Streep and Clooney from this supposedly more-cultured group is rather pathetic. I really thought Mulligan would win here.
Just more evidence that the Los Angeles critics make consistently better and daring picks.

Nice to see the accolades Mr. Fox is getting over Up, though. Not that it's going to make a whit of difference at the Academy Awards. If it somehow did manage to upset it might even elicit louder cheers from me than the ones for Jeff Bridges.

I think Meryl Streep is brilliant but really hope she doesn't get nominated for "Julie & Julia," it was a good performance in a cute movie but not one of the five best performances of the year. A few of the nominations she's gotten in recent years I think were earned more for her name value than her performance or the greatness of the movie ("The Bridges of Madison County," "One True Thing," "The Devil Wears Prada"). I found a listing of all her Oscar nominations, some are definitely not as strong as others:

1978 (51st)
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE -- The Deer Hunter {"Linda"}
1979 (52nd)
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE -- Kramer vs. Kramer {"Joanna Kramer"} [statuette]
1981 (54th)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- The French Lieutenant's Woman {"Sara Woodruff/Anna"}
1982 (55th)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- Sophie's Choice {"Sophie"} [statuette]
1983 (56th)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- Silkwood {"Karen Silkwood"}
1985 (58th)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- Out of Africa {"Karen"}
1987 (60th)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- Ironweed {"Helen"}
1988 (61st)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- A Cry in the Dark {"Lindy"}
1990 (63rd)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- Postcards from the Edge {"Suzanne Vale"}
1995 (68th)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- The Bridges of Madison County {"Francesca Johnson"}
1998 (71st)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- One True Thing {"Kate Gulden"}
1999 (72nd)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- Music of the Heart {"Roberta Guaspari"}
2002 (75th)
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE -- Adaptation {"Susan Orlean"}
2006 (79th)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- The Devil Wears Prada {"Miranda Priestly"}
2008 (81st)
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- Doubt {"Sister Aloysius Beauvier"}

She's awesome, but this point, she can fart in a paper cup and get an Oscar nom.

Golden Globes noms are out, but the highlight is by far Michael Stuhlbarg getting an acting nom, even if A Serious Man got boned everywhere else. The general HFPA starfucking continues, with Sandra Bullock and Meryl Streep getting 2 acting noms each, and Julia Roberts got one. Really? That's just lazy. Jeff Bridges still got one for Crazy Heart, but I'd see Clooney, Firth, or Freeman winning this one and Bridges winning the SAG and other acting precursors.

Amazing, Clint gets a nom even though his film isn't one of the ten BP noms. I'm also pissed that the Coens couldn't score more considering the love for THE STUHL! I mean, Nancy Meyers gets a nom for writing It's Complicated? WTF?

And...SHUTTLECOCK!

The trailer for It's Complicated is one of the most excruciating things I've ever seen. Whoever sang that "History Repeated" song that's in every trailer with a 40+ year-old woman, and by extension, every Nancy Meyers movie, can be shot. It's all so wacky, yet endearing!

That being said, it's probably better than Julie Is Kind of Boring & Julia Is a Crazy Caricature That Was Probably Done Better by Dan Aykroyd 30 Years Ago.

Are we going to bother doing our own 2009 awards thread/2000s decade awards/whatever this year? I remember last year's didn't really turn out all that great, but we've had some success in the past with those sorts of things.

We should, if only because the last two years we've done it the thread has eventually stayed stickied on the top of Zoo Station until, like, June or July. And I find that amusing.

I just want Christoph Waltz to win an Oscar...that-is-all-I-want

I'm just curious, do you think Star Trek has a chance of being nominated for Best Picture....you know, seeing as there are going to be 10 nominations?

Are we going to bother doing our own 2009 awards thread/2000s decade awards/whatever this year? I remember last year's didn't really turn out all that great, but we've had some success in the past with those sorts of things.

We should do it when the Oscars roll around, but yeah, I'm down.

The National Society of Film Critics, perhaps the most respected organization to give out awards every year, has finally weighed in:

BEST PICTURE
The Hurt Locker

BEST DIRECTOR
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

BEST ACTOR
Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

BEST ACTRESS
Yolande Moreau, Seraphine

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (tie)
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Paul Schneider, Bright Star

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Mo’Nique, Precious

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Summer Hours

BEST NON-FICTION FILM
The Beaches of Agnes

BEST SCREENPLAY
Joel and Ethan Coen, A Serious Man

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Christian Berger, The White Ribbon

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Nelson Lowry, Fantastic Mr. Fox

I'm pretty pleased, even though much of this is more of the same. Glad they recognized THE SCHNEID! and the Serious Man screenplay. Plus, no Meryl Streep is always refreshing. I actually just downloaded Seraphine and will be checking it out soon.

Well, I'm pleased as punch with most of that, aside from Renner for Best Actor. I mean, come on, there were plenty of better lead performances this year. But hooray for The SCHNEID! If only the rest of the film weren't completely shunned this year.

Yeah, Renner deserves to be nominated, but he's not tops for me either. I'm down with The Hurt Locker/Bigelow combo though, along with Waltz and The Coens. Hopefully Netflix'll send Bright Star to me when it comes out.

Michael Stuhlbarg
Isaac de Bankole
Matt Damon
Ben Whishaw
Nic Cage

Is probably my top 5 for 09. Others I'd still put above Renner:
Sam Rockwell
Adrian Brody
Viggo Mortensen
Sharlto Copley
Tom Hardy
Vincent Gallo
Joaquin Phoenix

Hmmm, so yeah. That's a lot. Not that Renner's performance wasn't solid.

I consider Landa to be a lead role, so I'm putting Waltz with the other Actors:

Christolph Waltz
Michael Stuhlbarg
George Clooney
Nic Cage
Sam Rockwell

With Adam Sandler, Sharlto Copley, Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Downey Jr., and Matt Damon rounding out the 10.

I think Jackie Earle Haley in Watchmen may be my favorite supporting perf of the year, too. Stiff competition though.

This Monique juggernaut has got to stop. But I fear it won't.

Hah, you and Jeff Wells. Why isn't Marion Cotillard winning anything? Jeebus.

I'm still a noob to the Bastages, so excuse my gushing, but I cant say enough about that performance. Every line was delivered flawlessly. I even enjoyed the way he ate strudel, for fuck sake. Landa will go down as one of the great character's of cinema

Christolph Waltz
Michael Stuhlbarg
George Clooney
Nic Cage
Sam Rockwell

With Adam Sandler, Sharlto Copley, Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Downey Jr., and Matt Damon rounding out the 10.

I think Jackie Earle Haley in Watchmen may be my favorite supporting perf of the year, too. Stiff competition though.

Basterds is certainly an ensemble piece, and it's hard to place Waltz outside the cast, however much screen time he has. If anyone should be highlighted in lead, it's Laurent, as she seems to have more key scenes (the two meetings with Pvt. Zoller, lunch with Goebbels and Landa, the scenes with her projectionist, the Cat People "getting ready" scene, and her in-movie monologue) and it's more her story than anyone else's, the film's title notwithstanding. Waltz has the big opening scene but then we lose him for too long a period of time to really call him a lead.

Much agreed on Haley. A real shame he's getting overlooked because of the overall reception to the film itself. He's definitely on my ballot.

I was thinking about our eventual end-of-decade thread/poll/lists/whatever, and was wondering how ambitious we want to get. I'm sure participation won't be extremely high to begin with, but I still think it would be fun to try some unique sorts of sub-categories on top of the major Top Films lists. Performances, scores, cinematography and other stuff for lists sure, but how about a Top 5/10 scenes from the decade or something along those lines. I'd like to do that.

I consider Laurent to be a lead performance as well. Waltz intersects with both the Shoshanna and Basterds storylines though, even if he weaves in and out of either of them. I'd say he dominates a good portion of the Giant Face segment, between his exchanges with Kruger and later with Pitt. It's tough. I primarily chalked him down as a lead because I think the supporting category is a little too deep. Either way, he's on top.

Haley was lauded even in the negative reviews, too. Damn shame.

Lance, I like the scenes idea, and maybe it could branch out to Best Actor in a Lame Movie, Worst Actress in a Great Movie, Unintentional Comedies, Disappointments, Overlooked Films, etc... That'll get more participation and discussion than the general Academy-type ballot.

Lance, I like the scenes idea, and maybe it could branch out to Best Actor in a Lame Movie, Worst Actress in a Great Movie, Unintentional Comedies, Disappointments, Overlooked Films, etc... That'll get more participation and discussion than the general Academy-type ballot.

Right, we could just throw out as many ideas as we wanted and see what sticks. But the top scenes is something I definitely want to do. I think I already know my unshakable top 3, though the order is up for internal debate.

Cool. I have the 10 scenes from this year pegged out. Decade's gonna be difficult.

Cool. I have the 10 scenes from this year pegged out. Decade's gonna be difficult.

Hmm, I haven't even really considered 10 scenes from this year. I have a feeling that would be really easy for me to do though.

Back
Top Bottom