Awards Season 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think Invictus is such a sure thing. You know one Meryl Streep movie might sneak in there, holy shit.

I will only go on record with my first 4 as being a sure thing

the other 6?,
I am not so sure. I'd say Julla would be the Streep that might get the nom.

She has a good shot for an Actress nom, and god forbid, a win, too.

I'd rather see Sandra Bullock win for playing a blind woman that mistakenly adopts a black child.

Yeah, I agree with you. District 9 doesn't feel like such a longshot anymore, strangely.

Streep only has 2 Oscars, supporting for Kramer vs. Kramer and lead for Sophie's Choice, but it feels like more than that. Of the potential crop, I'd want Mulligan to win, but more likely than not, it'll be between the Julia Child impression and Erin Brokovich Jr.

Yeah, the number's gaudy, but why should that be a slight on her? It's bullshit that there aren't many other actresses given roles as plumb as hers have been.

It's a slight on the Motion Picture Academy,

if one goes back and looks at some of those nominations they will find performances that were overlooked while Streep got the nom because they stood up and paid attention to her.

If Streep gets a nom this year and Mulligan is left out, I will think the Academy values her work too much at the expense of others.

Yeah, you're right. Then again, the same argument could be applied to a lot of those actors with 5+ nominations, I guess.

I doubt Mulligan will be left out. If anything, she's in the 3 spot behind Streep and Bullock now and right with Sibide for Precious. Hell, who's going to be the 5th nominee? I don't buy this Helen Mirren in The Last Station deal, especially considering that it's a Sony Picture Classics film. They already dropped the ball on An Education and Moon. I'm betting on Marion Cotillard for Nine as a part of some Weinstein electioneering, plus she was fantastic in Public Enemies.

I think you are right

Blunt could slip in there. I'd say Bullock has the inside track, then Streep, Precious could upset them. :shrug:

It's a slight on the Motion Picture Academy,

if one goes back and looks at some of those nominations they will find performances that were overlooked while Streep got the nom because they stood up and paid attention to her.

If Streep gets a nom this year and Mulligan is left out, I will think the Academy values her work too much at the expense of others.

You could probably say the same thing about John Williams and his 45 nominations.

Avatar's only won the Golden Globes at this point when it seems like The Hurt Locker's won literally every other major award. This seem almost as decisive as last year with Slumdog, but everyone's all wary about how the run-off voting will go.

So the BAFTAs are on right now and of the awards given out so far the major ones are:

Best Original Screenplay - The Hurt Locker
Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz
Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique
Best British Film - Fish Tank
Best Newcomer - Duncan Jones

The IMDb page apparently has all the winners listed though. Wonder if they're just predictions or someone's let the cat out the bag early.

IMDb | Road to the Oscars 2010 | BAFTAs

EDIT - Kristen Stewart just won the Rising Star award ahead of Carey Mulligan, so looks like those are the actual winners posted ahead of the official announements. Boo.

Aye, someone must have leaked the results because I'm sure it was live on TV. Cameron was gracious at losing Best Director but looked miffed at losing Best Picture. Also, Mickey Rourke and Dustin Hoffman can't read autocues.

I'm not liking this Hurt Locker over Basterds for Original Screenplay trend. Not one bit.

It's a bit lame, but if it adds to the overall momentum for Hurt Locker to win Best Picture at the Oscars over Avatar then I'll live with it.

It was nice to see Duncan Jones win for Best Newcomer after getting shafted everywhere else. Really need to see Fish Tank too now, it's been at the top of my rental list for a while. Bit of a surprise to see A Prophet winning Best Foreign Language over The White Ribbon, but after seeing it yesterday I'm not complaining. Looking at the noms for that it seems I've seen more of them than for either Best Picture of Best British Picture. That's never happened before.

Ideally, there would be a Basterds upset for Picture, too, but I like all three films, so I can't complain too much.

I'd like to check out Fish Tank as well, after I watch some of the essential holdovers from last year.

Let the Right One In being 2 years old would help, I'm guessing.

I guess so, but it didn't hit our shores until... April I think. You know we still have no release date for The Brothers Bloom? Looks like a DVD purchase for me in a few weeks time.

I'd like to see Basterds win cinematography. Some gorgeous stuff going on there.

Back
Top Bottom