Awards for 2012 Films, it begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
the award season is in swing for the 2012 films

NY Film critics have spoken

New York Film Critics Circle Winners -- 'Zero Dark Thirty' Best Film

Best Film
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)

Best Screenplay
Tony Kushner (Lincoln)

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)

Best Actress
Rachel Weisz (The Deep Blue Sea)

Best Foreign Language Film
Amour

Best Animated Film
Frankenweenie

Best Supporting Actor
Matthew McConaughey (Bernie, Magic Mike)

Best Supporting Actress
Sally Field (Lincoln)

Best Cinematographer
Greig Fraser (Zero Dark Thirty)

Best Non-Fiction Film (Documentary)
The Central Park Five

Best First Film
David France (How To Survive A Plague)

DDL was the only good part of Lincoln, but he was hardly better than Joaquin Phoenix in The Master.

I sat through The Master again recently, and I will say I liked it a lot more.
Whatever issues I thought I had with it the first time were not as bad as I thought they were. Both Phoenix and Hoffman are at the top of their games. It is not P T Anderson's best work, but it is one of the better films on 2012.

Lincoln is a Spielberg film that is tolerable, often he makes crap films. This is not one of those. DDL is of course, outstanding. The sentimentality and reshaping of history to pander to the mass audience will make this a hit and winner of many awards.

I guess I'm left to be the resident Lincoln lover here. Though I know NSW is just as smitten with it. Wherever he is.

Cinematically I didn't find much to get excited about. It's a writer's and actor's film more than anything else I've seen from Spielberg.

Also, that phoniness of the opening scene is near-unforgivable. Luckily it mostly avoids that kind of pandering for the rest of the film.

the opening scene is unforgivable and would have been a laugh out loud moment if anyone had any awareness of the reality of the times,
and yes they left that blatant pandering and moved on to the less obvious, the film was good to look at, DDL was very good, the 13th amendment history lesson worthwhile for those that thought the slaves threw down their chains and went free at the 'Emancipation Proclamation."

I guess I'm left to be the resident Lincoln lover here. Though I know NSW is just as smitten with it. Wherever he is.

I'm here, and, yes, I was totally smitten with it. The opening scene is easily and quickly forgotten, unless you're going out of your way to make sure you have something negative to say about the film, in my opinion.

And, fuck me, have not seen The Master yet. It never played in Munich and I cannot find it here right now. Desperately need to see it and I do not want to wait until it's on Blu Ray.

The opening scene was everything I was afraid the film was going to be, so when it was basically isolated by the end of the film, I was very pleasantly surprised.

One of the best cast films in recent memory, for my money.

I really did not know that the film would drill so deeply into the process of getting the amendment ratified. I found the strategy, dialogue and execution of that to be endlessly fascinating. And, agreed with Little Lord Piss, the cast was excellent, to say the least.

DDL's performance does not even require discussion.

The opening scene was everything I was afraid the film was going to be, so when it was basically isolated by the end of the film, I was very pleasantly surprised.

One of the best cast films in recent memory, for my money.

I wouldn't say it was competely isolated, as Lincoln's conversation with Mary's seamstress rang equally false, even considering the character's fascinating real-life story.

Wasn't crazy about the ending either, but I learned a long time ago never to expect a great one from this director.

Nothing else bad for me to say, as I really enjoyed it overall.

My favorite performance after DDL was James Spader. Such against-type work from him, and his character brought some necessary levity and earthiness.

NSW, you should have a chance to see The Master this season, as I imagine it will return to at least one theatre so awards voters who missed it can still check it out in a theatre.

It also hasn't hit the (admittedly small) second run circuit yet as far as I know, so there's that possibility too.

NSW, you should have a chance to see The Master this season, as I imagine it will return to at least one theatre so awards voters who missed it can still check it out in a theatre.

It also hasn't hit the (admittedly small) second run circuit yet as far as I know, so there's that possibility too.

Yeah, you're right, thanks. I literally check Fandango every morning to see if it pops up. I'm sure it will re-emerge soon.

Do you have a second run theater that you're fond of, by the way? There was a decent one near where I live but it closed down.....I'm sure if you have one it's up near you but still......

Best Actress
Rachel Weisz (The Deep Blue Sea)

that was a real surprise, I thought this came out last year. I do remember seeing it in a theater, it played about one week. Checking IMDB it was in the spring, it never got a wide release.
Well, I will say she is that good in it, it is a very 'art house' film.
I did like it a lot and would recommend it for anyone that likes movies that rely on actors and characters more than a need for the action scenes. The sets are good and so is the casting. I will be surprised if she gets anymore nominations. The film will not appeal to a wide audience.

Yeah, you're right, thanks. I literally check Fandango every morning to see if it pops up. I'm sure it will re-emerge soon.

Do you have a second run theater that you're fond of, by the way? There was a decent one near where I live but it closed down.....I'm sure if you have one it's up near you but still......

Regency in Pasadena. It's a block away from the Laemmles. Not a good theatre but a cheap on. $2 before 6pm and $3 after. They get a decent mix of stuff.

Regency also has a NoHo location. The chain has a website.

l I will be surprised if she gets anymore nominations. The film will not appeal to a wide audience.

BAFTA shouldn't be hard to get for a British actress, and since the Globes split into drama and comedy/musical, if the studio tries to push her it's not inconceivable.

Being a previous Oscar-winner doesn't hurt, either.

I think Lincoln is one of the most beautifully "cinematic" films of The Beard's career. His collaboration with Kaminski alone here reached heights I didn't ever expect from them. He light and shadow alone works as strongly as the script or actors both of which are really strong, the typical Spielberg pitfalls here and there notwithstanding. But this was one of the best-looking pieces of celluloid (aided ironically by an especially strong digital projection) I've seen in years. But that's not to discount it's strong film language either: smart cutting for the most part, great framing, shot lengths, subtle camera moves, etc. likely to remain in my top 5 of the year I'd wager.

I'm here, and, yes, I was totally smitten with it. The opening scene is easily and quickly forgotten, unless you're going out of your way to make sure you have something negative to say about the film, in my opinion.

And no one ever does that with Steven Spielberg.

I have nothing to add to this discussion. All I've seen is the well-made Argo.

But I will.

Zero Dark Thirty > gaining momentum?

Zero Dark Thirty named best film by National Board of Review | Reuters

Here’s the full list:

Best Film: Zero Dark Thirty

Top 10 Films
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Lincoln
Looper
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Promised Land
Silver Linings Playbook

Director: Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty

Actor: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

Actress: Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

Supporting Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, Django Unchained

Supporting Actress: Ann Dowd, Compliance

Original Screenplay: Rian Johnson, Looper

Adapted Screenplay: David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

Animated Feature: Wreck-It Ralph

Special Achievement in Filmmaking: Ben Affleck, Argo

Breakthrough Actor: Tom Holland, The Impossible

Breakthrough Actress: Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Directorial Debut: Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Foreign Language Film: Amour

Top 5 Foreign Language Films
Barbara
The Intouchables
The Kid With a Bike
No
War Witch

Documentary: Searching For Sugarman

Top 5 Documentaries
Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry
Detropia
The Gatekeepers
The Invisible War
Only the Young

William K. Everson Film History Award: 50 Years of Bond Films

Ensemble: Les Miserables

Spotlight Award: John Goodman (Argo, Flight, Paranorman, Trouble With the Curve)

NBR Freedom of Expression Award: Central Park Five

NBR Freedom of Expression Award: Promised Land

Top 10 Independent Films
Arbitrage
Bernie
Compliance
End of Watch
Hello I Must Be Going
Little Birds
Moonrise Kingdom
On the Road
Quartet
Sleepwalk With Me

I thought The Master was pretentious and boring, honestly by the end I was glad it was over. Great acting, that was about it for me. I loved Lincoln and thought it was very moving. Typical Spielberg but who cares, I fall for it and I'm not ashamed.

I think Ben Affleck definitely deserves a bunch of best director noms for Argo-so well done. Can't wait to see Zero Dark Thirty.

more awards

'Amour' awarded Best Picture at 2012 Los Angeles Film Critics Awards

Best Picture
Amour
Runner-Up: The Master

Best Director
Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master)
Runner-Up: Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)

Best Actor
Joaquin Phoenix (The Master)
Runner-Up: Denis Lavant (Holy Motors)

Best Actress
Tie:
Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
Emmanuelle Riva (Amour)

Best Supporting Actor
Dwight Henry (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
Runner-Up: Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams (The Master)
Runner-Up: Anne Hathaway (The Dark Knight Rises and Les Miserables)

Best Screenplay
Chris Terrio (Argo)
Runner-Up: David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)

Best Cinematography
Roger Deakins (Skyfall)
Runner-Up: Mihai Malaimare Jr. (The Master)

Best Documentary/Non-Fiction Film
The Gatekeepers
Runner-Up: Searching for Sugar Man

Best Animated Film
Frankenweenie
Runner-Up: It’s Such a Beautiful Day

Best Foreign Language Film
Holy Motors
Runner-Up: Footnote

Best Music/Score
Dan Romer and Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
Runner-Up: Jonny Greenwood (The Master)

Best Editing
Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg (Zero Dark Thirty)
Runner-Up: William Goldenberg (Argo)

Best Production Design
David Crank and Jack Fisk (The Master)
Runner-Up: Adam Stockhausen (Moonrise Kingdom)

Douglas E. Edwards Award
For Independent/Experimental Film/Video
Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Verena Paravel (Levithan)

good to see Holy Motors getting some recognition

At least Holy Motors finally won something.

Happy for PTA, Joaquin, Amy.

Argo for screenplay is ludicrous.

Really glad Beasts won nothing major.

yeah Beasts, the kid is cute, but please do not encourage any more bad film making.

Deakins gets an award for a film that is not worth a re-watch.

and a lesser PTA is still better than most anything else.

I'd actually watch Skyfall again even if it was just to look at Deakins' photography again.

Having said that, I do think The Master should have won cinematography.

hanginthere.png

Back
Top Bottom