Awards for 2012 Films, it begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see anything wrong with someone wanting to be an artist, and not a spokeswoman.

i really only take issue with the false choice she constructed which appears to be her only defense for her previous lack of courage (at least in comparison to, say, Ellen and Rosie). coming out does not automatically turn one into a spokesperson, nor was she ever in danger of becoming Honey Boo-Boo.

i will also say that it helps everybody when anybody comes out. especially someone as supremely accomplished as Jodie Foster.

now i hope another 2-time Oscar winner who's name rhymes with Spevin Kasey will follow her lead ...

i really only take issue with the false choice she constructed which appears to be her only defense for her previous lack of courage (at least in comparison to, say, Ellen and Rosie). coming out automatically turn one into a spokesperson, nor was she ever in danger of becoming Honey Boo-Boo.

Maybe in her mind once she opens up about her life, it's just a slippery slope. I think she only meant the Honey Boo Boo thing to be a funny reference. I'm not referring to you in particular, but it must be tough to have every word analyzed to have some sort of deep meaning that it doesn't necessarily have.

I get the whole she's so accomplished and people respect her and why it would be so meaningful to others because of that, but I think maybe all she's asking in return is that people respect her choices. She's always lived her life in movies that way, so maybe she thinks that's all she owes people? Just like Anderson, that's all he thought he owed until recently-and he said the bullying issue changed his mind.

Quote from Ben Affleck in today's NYT about his Oscar "snub" for Argo director, producer and star:

“We got nominated for seven Oscars, including best picture,” he said backstage. “If you can’t be happy with that, your prospects for long-term happiness are pretty sad.”

I love him.

Not a big fan of his acting (his work that I am aware of) and I haven't even seen Argo yet but it's nice to see a real down-to-earth-sorta guy have this success. He's always seemed to be a genuine person. Even in his JLo days...I mean, you can't blame him for going for it. He got his 'beating' over that and he always took it in good humor. I remember the SNL sketch where Affleck hosted and Fred Armisen was playing some dude making fun of him (Gigli, etc.) to his face. He took it in great stride.

As opposed to most of those other pretentious self-congratulatory douches in Hollywood.
Speaking of, this would be a good time to launch into a screed against the self-importance of 'actors' but maybe later.

I think his wife and kids have been great for Ben Affleck, they've matured him in a good way. Just age has too.

I was pretty sure I saw him in Boston years ago after he became famous, right after Good Will Hunting. Was way too shy to approach and bother him.

2013 ICS Award Nominees

Here's a preview:

PICTURE
• Amour
• Cloud Atlas
• Django Unchained
• Holy Motors
• Lincoln
• The Master
• Moonrise Kingdom
• Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
• Tabu
• Zero Dark Thirty

DIRECTOR
• Paul Thomas Anderson - The Master
• Kathryn Bigelow - Zero Dark Thirty
• Leos Carax - Holy Motors
• Nuri Bilge Ceylan - Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
• Miguel Gomes - Tabu

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
• Alps
• Amour
• Holy Motors
• The Kid With a Bike
• Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
• Oslo, August 31st
• Rust and Bone
• Tabu
• This Is Not a Film
• The Turin Horse

Holy Motors is good, I wish I had seen it in a theater a second time.

I have only seen two Carax films, are some of the other characters in HM recycled, like this one from Tokyo! ?

Screen-Shot-2012-01-26-at-1.22.13-PM.png

Maybe some Argo upsets at the Oscars? Hollywood loves that movie because of the whole making a fake movie in order to do a good deed. Self congratulatory. Not that it doesn't deserve it, I thought it was very well done. Since Affleck can't win the Oscar, maybe they split and give it best picture.

Yeah, if I had to bet right now, I'd put money on Argo taking home Best Picture. It seems to have the momentum.

I still need to see the fucking thing. Can't believe I didn't hit it up when it was in the theaters. I love Affleck and thought Gone Baby Gone and The Town were both damn good, especially the latter. I'll try to find Argo online sometime this week.

I can't believe Argo is not still playing in the Chicago market. It is still on quite a few screens here in CA (L A / The OC)

of the 9 nominated films, Argo is easily the best. I think I liked Django better, but I know it won't win. Amour, is way over-rated. Not a best film type at all. Not even the best by that director. Each of the films has some negative aspects, Argo does not have any. It should win.

this years Directors nominations are about the worst I've ever seen
that Beast jackass gets a nom for one little oddball crap film, his first film

that plus 3 shorts gives him less than 2 1/2 hours of total directed work, what a joke.

Argo got a re-release, it was on one screen at my local theater with one showing at 10 pm. It's already gone again. They had to make way for crap like Movie 43 or whatever that's called.

DDL and Spielberg get Oscar #3's and Argo takes BP.

Only real suspense is Lawrence vs Chastain. All other winners seem pretty obvious.

Only real suspense is Lawrence vs Chastain. All other winners seem pretty obvious.

Correct, and it sucks because I really adore both of those women. I'd be happy with either of them winning, but I think Chastain's performance was, ultimately, stronger and more memorable and I'd have to hive her the edge.

I'd also have to give her The Edge, the erudite and beanie-clad lead guitarist of the Irish rock quartet U2.

Correct, and it sucks because I really adore both of those women. I'd be happy with either of them winning, but I think Chastain's performance was, ultimately, stronger and more memorable and I'd have to hive her the edge.

I'd also have to give her The Edge, the erudite and beanie-clad lead guitarist of the Irish rock quartet U2.

Do you mind if I disagree with you here and say that I thought Katniss gave the better performance? I think Chastain is great but felt like Lawrence was the more memorable. Either way, one of them should receive The Edge.

Do you mind if I disagree with you here and say that I thought Katniss gave the better performance? I think Chastain is great but felt like Lawrence was the more memorable. Either way, one of them should receive The Edge.

I'm torn here. I thought Chastain's work was more subtle and perhaps more challenging. Her final scene alone may be award-worthy.

Lawrence's, on the other hand, was a true star-making performance. Without her that film would be near-worthless (and I say that as someone who was impressed by Cooper).

Finally, though, I managed to catch Amour last weekend, and I think Riva outdoes both of them. She really is as good as all the raves.

As long as that little punk from Beasts doesn't win, I'll be happy.

why all the hate for Quvenzhané Wallis
she really nailed that part,
I'd like to see Streep try and pull that one off.

if anyone could play a 6-year old african-american girl,

it is Streep.

though it's unlikely even Streep could overcome heartfelt but wildly unfocused direction.

why all the hate for Quvenzhané Wallis
she really nailed that part,
I'd like to see Streep try and pull that one off.

She "nailed" the part? She was 6 years old. Director shoots enough takes he can pull enough little moments to create the performance.

She had no business being nominated, especially when there were superior demonstrations of talent and craft from Rachel Weisz and Marion Cotillard in he running.

Ben wins the DGA award. I wonder how many winners of that award didn't even get a best director Oscar nomination. It's looking like that might have been the best thing to happen to him.

Back
Top Bottom