Anyone else dislike current sitcoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
You know, I can't think of one current sitcom that I like.

There are some that I think have the occasional funny moment (like Bleep My Dad Says and The Office), but overall, I just don't think any of them are good.

Anyone agree?

There's a small but strong contingent of passionate current sitcom fans here on this message board.

We rep current sitcoms hard as a motherfucker.

If you take a look at the first page here in the Zoo Station subforum, you'll notice that there are no less than 5 very active threads about current American sitcoms.

Check it. We go hard.

However, I don't doubt that you'll find someone around here who shares your outlook. Best of luck in your search.

There's a lot of crap, but there are some good ones out there.

30 Rock
How I Met Your Mother
Modern Family

i hear many, many great things about Parks & Recreation and Community, but I haven't yet checked them out.

The Middle on ABC is great. I plan on looking into Mr. Sunshine sometime, too. That looks kind of good.

All else either sucks or doesn't look or sound good enough to convince me to bother checking it out.

What sitcoms did you like? That would help me understand what quality you think all shows are now lacking.

Parks & Recreation
Community
30 Rock
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The Office is having a stronger season than it has in a couple years as most here have noted. And I hear good things about Modern Family.

I somehow missed Sunny jumping over to Comedy Central and now have totally stopped following it.

Which is okay - I wasn't loving it as much as I used to.

corianderstem said:
I somehow missed Sunny jumping over to Comedy Central and now have totally stopped following it.

Which is okay - I wasn't loving it as much as I used to.

It's syndicated on Comedy Central, which makes little sense. The new ones still run on FX.

Damn, really? I'm so confused.

I think when I got a new DVR and had to set up all my shows again, I just forgot about it altogether, and then swear I saw the last minute of something current-looking on Comedy Central (I think Dee was pregnant, which was my clue) and figured I'd missed something with a network switch.

I've tried to get into both Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock because I thought the premise of each show was interesting and I had heard so many people say how funny they were, but I just didn't like them enough to continue watching.

The last sitcom I was really, really into was The Office, and that was just the first three or four seasons. I don't even watch it anymore.

What sitcoms did you like? That would help me understand what quality you think all shows are now lacking.

These are my faves:

50s: I Love Lucy
From the 60s: Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, Leave It To Beaver
70s: Happy Days, Laverne And Shirley, All In The Family, Jefferson, MASH, Brady Bunch, Good Neighbors, Fawlty Towers
80s: Family Matters, Step By Step, Cosby Show, Wonder Years, Family Ties, Growing Pains
90s: Fresh Prince, Home Improvement, Keeping Up Appearances
2000s: Even Stevens, Phil Of The Future, (Yes, I'm serious about both of them)

I loved Home Improvement.

Judging by your list above, I'm guessing you wouldn't like it.

I don't think I'll get another season. I mean, it's funny, but some of the episodes from season one, that I bought, are just too hard to watch (like when his wife has dermatitis and Larry offends a black dermatologist). I'll have a heart attack if I get another season.

That kind of describes the experience watching all of Ricky Gervais' TV shows, the situations and characters are so uncomfortable it hurts... but it's still hilarious.

The "uncomfortable" humor has a really fine line with me. I love the original Office despite the cringing (maybe because of it), but I couldn't get into Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Even watching Seinfeld, George used to make me nervous. "Oh god, what's he going to do this time?!"

Yeah but I liked Ricky Gervais' Office (not as much as the US version, and I haven't seen Extras) but Curb... I'm struggling to get myself across here, but it's so heavy and it's literally like Larry fucking up in every second minute. It's too much.

The "uncomfortable" humor has a really fine line with me. I love the original Office despite the cringing (maybe because of it), but I couldn't get into Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Even watching Seinfeld, George used to make me nervous. "Oh god, what's he going to do this time?!"

The difference between David Brent and Jerry Seinfeld, George Constanza, Larry David etc. is that Brent is well-meaning, where Larry David's characters are well aware they are mean assholoes.

I like Seinfeld for the writing, but Curb is pretty unfunny for me.

Judging by your list above, I'm guessing you wouldn't like it.
Don't think I'll be getting it from Netflix anytime soon, then. :)

Actually, I'm in the middle of season 3 of Alias, going all the way to the end (Season 5), so I won't be getting anything else on Netflix for a while. I watched it when it was new, but I didn't understand a whole lot of it in the last few years, so I don't remember a whole lot.

Ricky Gervais' TV shows, the situations and characters are so uncomfortable it hurts... but it's still hilarious.
The one thing I liked of Ricky Gervais was the Emmys commercial when he said "I'll be there, trying to make `em cry".

Back
Top Bottom