Anime, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I may have to do that. I remember the Manga also being far more fleshed out i/r/t the story between Usagi and Tuxedo Mask

Only thing I know about sailor moon is they have the boom anime babes that makes Ed Robertson think the wrong thing.

It doesn't sound like my thing.

How can I help it, IWB, when I think you're funny when you're mad?

It's a pretty fun show, honestly. It really does not take itself too seriously, despite it's sprawling storyline (think, DBZ bad). Lots of slapstick humor, a dash of silly teenager romance and lots and lots of butt-kicking.

Spent the day at the Ghibli Museum a few days ago. Not that anyone in this thread probably needs the encouragement, but definitely go if you're ever in Tokyo. It was simply wonderful, even the location was perfect. You're encouraged to explore the building and grounds in any path you choose and just discover all of the secrets hidden in the nooks and crannies.

A highlight of the museum was an exhibit dedicated to the form of animation. Filled with magic lanterns, zoetropes and the like, I couldn't leave without stepping through it again. The exclusive short on display was https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_for_a_Home_(film), which was fun after spending a few weeks in Japan. Sad not to catch Mei and the Kittenbus, but we were able to buy the picture book adaptation from the gift shop.

If it has a fault, it's that it often forgets that Miyazaki =/= Studio Ghibli and could do with more from Takahata at least. But other than that, it's magical.

I'm dubious of new FLCL (especially 12 episodes, yeeeesh), but with most of the key crew on board I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

My buddies at work are into Japanese stuff. Can't get into it myself. Anybody remember a cartoon from the late 80s early 90s were looking for a lost city of gold in South America? Ended up foreshadowing KOTCS but better

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Anime of the season so far:

FLIP FLAPPERS
https://youtu.be/A0W05AB-mO4

For you Ghibli Fiends here. Director Kiyotaka Oshiyama was key animator on a number of Ghibli features and directed one of the best episodes of Space Dandy. The art and animation are amaaazing. This show is amaaaaazing.

Also KEIJO!!!!!!!!
https://youtu.be/_4ELR2ZuIuY

For those who like sports, boobs, butts, ecchi, and fucking amaaaaaaaaaaaazing fight scene animation.

So I watched the first 13 eps of Full Metal Alchemist and as much as I wanted to like it, I felt underwhelmed. The tonal whiplash from cool af fight scenes to goofy, cliched anime humour was mostly to blame. Does it get better in season 2 or is it probably not for me?

Also, my favourite TV related thing this year has to be Avatar / Legend of Korra. Avatar was brilliant, epic storyline, fun yet deep characters, lovely animation and a slam dunk finale. Between Toph, Sokka, Zuko and Iroh it's hard to pick a favourite, so I'll go with Appa.

I'm midway through season 3 of Korra and its refreshingly different for a sequel series, something Better Call Saul also does right. Season 2 was an unfocused let down after a riveting first season, but season 3 is definitely back on track. The HD animation is a joy to watch, and while the characters can't quite compete with their predecessors, most of the storylines and themes are more mature than before. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Ah, well I mean it's a little hard to say. But Brotherhood does have an especially rocky start, as in trying to readapt the manga and correct the issues fans had with the original series which split from the source material half way through they pretty much rush through the first arc of the series since they assume most people are already familiar with how it begins. So the first 13 episodes specifically are really a mess and screw up a lot of the emotional beats and powerful moments those beginning chapters have in the original series which was able to really take its time. I believe the majority of the fan base prefer Brotherhood because it's so much more faithful as it goes on. I've never read the manga so I can't say, but I distinctly recall preferring the original adaptation. That said you should probably stick to it because things do improve a lot shortly from where you are. Mustang is a boss.

Thanks. I was aware of the reasoning behind the re-adaptation but didn't realize they would be rushing through at the start of Brotherhood. I'll hit up season 2 and see how it goes.

I read the manga and I can say that Brotherhood looked like it's (almost) an scene-by-scene recreation of the manga.

Thanks. I was aware of the reasoning behind the re-adaptation but didn't realize they would be rushing through at the start of Brotherhood. I'll hit up season 2 and see how it goes.

I will say as it goes on it does strike a better balance of tones which is your main concern. It's natural as things get progressively more serious but yeah.

The Pillows! Yes! I really think they sound a lot like a Japanese version of Manic Street Preachers. Such a kickass band.

Back
Top Bottom