Anime, anyone? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:39 AM
Did I ever rec Clannad? Because I haven't seen more than a couple episodes of it myself, unless you're talking about something else.

I don't really know what your exposure to anime is, or what your particular tastes are. For somewhat well-rounded not-too-insane series, you can't go wrong with the aforementioned Watanabe's two major series Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. Sticking with somewhat actiony series, Black Lagoon is great, Rideback, Birdy the Mighty, Planetes, Monster, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, Night Raid, Baccano...

More down to earth series I'd suggest are Mushishi, beautiful and episodic, very Japanese in aesthetic and ideology. Haibane Renmei, Spice and Wolf has some of the best character-writing in all of anime, K-On! is great and musically focused.

Then you have the more out-there stuff that tends to riff pretty heavily on anime and otaku conventions. GAINAX studio does some of the best work in the business. Neon Genesis Evangelion is kind of the landmark work. Absolutely harrowing, but definitely not a place to start. Their more recent Gurren Lagaan similarly riffs on mecha anime conventions but takes things in a comical direction instead. Also brilliant. Then you have something like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which is sort of indescribably eccentric, but also one of the most beautifully animated, humorous, and delicately human series I've seen. One of my favorites as well.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Someone on here recommended Clannad to me...I guess in my memory any anime recommendation defaults to having come from you.

I've never been a HUGE fan of the cartoon network anime's, not that I ever watched more than few episodes of Cowboy Bebop, and I never did watch Champloo. I like Full Metal Alchemist, and in spite of everything, Inuyasha. I really don't have a huge background in any one series, though, despite my best friend being a huge fan of nearly every series and trying for ages to get me into them all.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Ah, here we go. I wouldn't say you exactly recommended it to me specifically:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm loving the fact that so many anime series are now streaming on Netflix. I've always been interested in the genre, but never followed much of anything, save your standard DBZ and Inuyasha stuff that was on Cartoon Network so much you couldn't avoid it. I've just never known what shows to watch or where to find them. Now, of course, Netflix helps there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Yeah, it's pretty nice. I'd strongly suggest checking out Mushishi, which I saw was on there, though I haven't checked out the quality of the English dub (all the ones on netflix seem to be the dubbed version, which is rather hit or miss). That's also one though, which I can't really imagine watching in English, since it's so very culturally and stylistically Japanese. Full Metal Panic! is there in its entire three seasons, which is neat. I'd also recommend checking out Fruits Basket, Clannad, Baccano!, and the rather excellent Eden of the East, all on netflix last time I checked.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #19
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:39 PM
I have watched a lot of anime over the years, and spent my middle-school years obsessed with it (meaning it was the only thing I watched, ever). This is my list of approved anime:
  • Rurouni Kenshin (great for comedic relief, dubbed is actually better than subbed, and if you want something serious check out the OVA)
  • Yu yu Hakusho (watch dubbed with subtitles)
  • Wolf's Rain (subbed)
  • .Hack//Sign (subbed only, one of my favorites)
  • Planetes (subbed only)
  • Mushishi (subbed)
  • Full Metal Alchemist (Dubbed)
  • Full Metal Alchemist: The Brotherhood (subbed)
  • Elfen Lied (subbed, uh, mature audience only)
  • Inuyasha (subbed, while everyone makes fun of this anime, it's one of the few long ones I can actually tolerate for comedic humor)
  • Trigun (subbed, though it drags a bit towards the latter half)
  • Ghost in the Shell (either subbed or dubbed)
  • Paranoia Agent (subbed)
  • Lain (subbed)
  • Cowboy Bebop (either or)
  • Berserk (subbed)

Are there some mainstream ones in there? Yes, but you'll note that there is also a blatant lack of many popular mainstream ones. They are excluded for a reason.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Five episodes into Shinichirō Watanabe's new series Kids on the Slope, and it's already one of the better anime series I've seen. It's world's apart from his other two long-form works, Bebop and Champloo, in that it's almost naturalistic in its style, reminiscent of Edward Yang or Japanese New Wave live-action cinema in its setting and aesthetic, and a far more nuanced and rich character piece then he usually tackles. The emotional range and dramatic sophistication after just these 5 episodes is incredibly impressive. Watanabe times his moments with a master's precision, and manages to avoid almost all the pitfalls typical high school-set anime series nearly always suffer from. It's also gorgeously animated. The jazz sessions have as much energy and formal precision as any of Bebop's action sequences.

It's impossible to say at this point where it stacks against his other work for certain, but it's definitely strong than Champloo at this point in its cycle, and maybe Bebop (though episode 5 is where Bebop jumped from a very good series to an all-time-great, so we'll see where this all goes).

Will def be checking this out.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 PM
I've tried watching Mushishi but I just can't get into it. The concept is pretty cool, it's just failed to grab me. I guess I'm not huge on the visual style, either.

No surprise given my only post in here was about Paprika, but I love Paranoia Agent. Crazy series. The animation is so damn good and yeah, the title theme is pretty incredible too.

Paranoia Agent Opening - YouTube

I think it packs as much into 13 episodes as any anime I've seen, while still having room for stand alone stories.

I'll check out Kids on the Slope too. Bebop is great stuff.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Rurouni Kenshin is getting a live action film. Japanese actors and everything.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I picked up a thread of nostalgia and checked out the last episode of Gundam Wing, only to find that did NOT age well. I ignored all the pretension in the dialogue as a kid, and I may be able to put up with it today, except the actual voice dub itself sank it-everyone sounded so bored or sedated!

I still love giant robots, though. Are there any big Gundam series to be sure to see, or do they generally plateau in quality?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Gundam Seed I remember being much better than Wing, there are two main Gundam Seed series, less pretentious nonsense than Wing, but then again it's also been a few years since i've seen it.

Code Geass is fun in giant mech terms, very emo and over the top, but enjoyably so.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Popping in to say after 7 episodes Kids on the Slope is shaping up to be one of the all time greats.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I still have the last three episodes of Kids on the Slope to watch, as apparently that's the end of the series entirely, but I hear it finishes strong. And going off the first 8 or 9 or however many episodes I watched to far, really did turn out to be one of the best.

Anyway, really came in because of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, the latest feature length installment in the Haruhi series. Won't drone on much about it, since it requires familiarity with the previous 26 or however many episodes of the series to mean anything, but this is a remarkable somber, beautifully rendered and cinematic counterpoint and companion to the series. Fluid movement in nearly every moment of its animation as well. Fucking gorgeous and thrilling. Maybe elevates Haruhi on the whole to being my favorite anime series of all. Maybe.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Holy shit, that's gorgeous.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Deeps thoughts on recent shit.

Attack on Titan
The Devil is a Part-timer
Tatami Galaxy
Old 01-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #29