And the Oscar goes to... Dick Poop! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:43 PM
And the Oscar goes to... Dick Poop!

‘Dick Poop’ was nominated for an Oscar | Entertain This!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

It'll be shitty if he doesn't win.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Only 8 Best Picture selections? .

At least Whiplash got in. It seemed to be on the brink with most of the prediction lists I was looking at.

What the fuck...why is the Lego Movie getting so screwed? Well, I'm all in for Kaguya at this point, even though it won't win. What a joke. 2014 may very well have been my favorite year for animated film of all time, and Lego Movie was at the epicenter of that.

Not gonna lie, though, I'm really glad Life Itself didn't get a nod for documentary. It's not bad, but it's just a documentary. I gotta think if you're looking at Oscar-worthy at this point, you need to be doing something special. Either with the subject, or the storytelling.

And look, Laz, you were certainly right about editing . Can Birdman still win best picture without winning the most phoned in award of them all?

Um...Force Majeure?

BUT AT LEAST "Everything is Awesome" got a nomination

There, enjoy all of those #hottakes
Old 01-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
The Male

Birdman not up for editing is disgusting. That pretty much kills its chances of taking best picture.

I'm excited that Song of the Sea got some love. It really could have been worse. Lego Movie was great, of course. Better than Boxtrolls.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This will be a boring Oscar race. I feel like the big 6 categories are all locked up with strong front-runners.

Boyhood
Michael Keaton
Julianne Moore
JK Simmons
Patricia Arquette
Richard Linklater

I'm going to check out American Sniper tomorrow. Love Eastwood and Cooper, and war movies in general.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Birdman not up for editing is disgusting. That pretty much kills its chances of taking best picture.

I'm excited that Song of the Sea got some love. It really could have been worse. Lego Movie was great, of course. Better than Boxtrolls.
Birdman didn't deserve that nomination. The achievement was in the staging and executing the camerawork of that staging.

I don't think its likely to win the top prize anyway.

Bummed about Force Majeure as it's probably my #2 of the year, but I'm really excited that Wild Tales got in. Easily the most entertaining film I saw last year, and I can't wait until it gets a wider release. People are going to eat it up.

My only explanation for the LEGO snub is that it has a live action segment which some animators may have dinked it for, and also that it contained a lot of pre-existing characters from other media properties. Maybe some felt that it didn't do enough in creating new characters compared to the other films. Either way, it was left off for a brilliant Japanese film and one by a very talented Irish filmmaker. It's nice to see foreign, non-CG stuff in there.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Also, really glad that PTA got the nod for his Pynchon adaptation over the trash that is Gone Girl.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Variety has an article citing reasons why it may not have been nominated. My guess is reason #5 is probably the strongest case for what happened:

Oscar Nomination Snub for Lego Movie: 5 Reasons Why | Variety
Old 01-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I was thinking about Leo (the actor, not Bono's son) and the fact that he has yet to take home an Oscar. Not surprising considering actors who do win are ones that played a memorable role. Leo has fallen into predictability when it comes to making movies. He makes good ones, but he's just Leo in every movie.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Lego Movie was just Shrek all over again...a lot of pop culture jokes and not much else. Still, it was passable entertainment whereas The Boxtrolls had mediocre reviews and How To Train Your Dragon 2 literally copied all of the same tropes that you would expect from a straight-to-video sequel.

The other three animated nominees are actually art. Big Hero 6 surely has this in the bag.

I think the acting categories and Best Picture are a lock, but they were last year as well, so nothing's really changed. Last year's group as a whole was way more predictable when you went through all the categories.

There's an actual chance that Linklater doesn't win Best Director. Wes Anderson made a crowd-pleasing movie that was meticulously crafted and has done a lot of great work in the past. He could totally upset in the same way that Ang Lee rightfully won for Life of Pi.

Foxcatcher was easily the biggest snub, especially when we're nominating two Oscar-baity, historically inaccurate, highly flawed biographies (Theory of Everything/Imitation Game). But Foxcatcher was also always going to test a lot of audience's collective patience given the way it plays out.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

This is the thing about The Lego Movie that keeps surprising me. The people today who are trying to claim it had no substance. What? It was a super deep movie for a children's animated film, and I'm surprised that a lot of people seem to have missed that .
Old 01-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Super deep by just having a simple moral attached to it like every other kid's film?

At least it's fucking Citizen Kane compared to the Disney-by-numbers flick that was Frozen. Lego Movie was at least sort of clever and its Oscar nominated track is at least a memorable entire song whereas "Let It Go" (and perhaps the entire success of Frozen) stemmed from the "cold never bothered me anyway" line catching people's ears.

Speaking of kids films, Brett McKenzie is the most snubbed music artist this year. He deserved another Muppet nomination for "Cockatoo In Malibu".
Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

I seem to be the only one who read The Lego Movie as a really dark story, so maybe I'm the only one that feels it was really deep, but yeah, I thought it was super deep.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:43 PM
I know not everybody is 100% gung ho as I am, but I honestly feel Grand Budapest is a real 100 times more satisfying and interesting than any of the other films nominated for best pictures ans I'm fucking thrilled Wes got a nod for direction because there wasn't even anyone else within proximity of the game with a fraction of the talent and wherewithal this year aside from PTA, particularly that dipshit Innaritu. Rah rah.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

It and Whiplash are my two favorite movies of the year, so I couldn't be happier that they were both nominated.