And the Oscar goes to... Dick Poop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only 8 Best Picture selections? :ohmy:.

At least Whiplash got in. It seemed to be on the brink with most of the prediction lists I was looking at.

:lmao: What the fuck...why is the Lego Movie getting so screwed? Well, I'm all in for Kaguya at this point, even though it won't win. What a joke. 2014 may very well have been my favorite year for animated film of all time, and Lego Movie was at the epicenter of that.

Not gonna lie, though, I'm really glad Life Itself didn't get a nod for documentary. It's not bad, but it's just a documentary. I gotta think if you're looking at Oscar-worthy at this point, you need to be doing something special. Either with the subject, or the storytelling.

And look, Laz, you were certainly right about editing :lol:. Can Birdman still win best picture without winning the most phoned in award of them all?

Um...Force Majeure?

BUT AT LEAST "Everything is Awesome" got a nomination :rolleyes:

There, enjoy all of those #hottakes

Birdman not up for editing is disgusting. That pretty much kills its chances of taking best picture.

I'm excited that Song of the Sea got some love. It really could have been worse. Lego Movie was great, of course. Better than Boxtrolls.

Last edited:
This will be a boring Oscar race. I feel like the big 6 categories are all locked up with strong front-runners.

Boyhood
Michael Keaton
Julianne Moore
JK Simmons
Patricia Arquette
Richard Linklater

I'm going to check out American Sniper tomorrow. Love Eastwood and Cooper, and war movies in general.

Birdman not up for editing is disgusting. That pretty much kills its chances of taking best picture.

I'm excited that Song of the Sea got some love. It really could have been worse. Lego Movie was great, of course. Better than Boxtrolls.

Birdman didn't deserve that nomination. The achievement was in the staging and executing the camerawork of that staging.

I don't think its likely to win the top prize anyway.

Bummed about Force Majeure as it's probably my #2 of the year, but I'm really excited that Wild Tales got in. Easily the most entertaining film I saw last year, and I can't wait until it gets a wider release. People are going to eat it up.

My only explanation for the LEGO snub is that it has a live action segment which some animators may have dinked it for, and also that it contained a lot of pre-existing characters from other media properties. Maybe some felt that it didn't do enough in creating new characters compared to the other films. Either way, it was left off for a brilliant Japanese film and one by a very talented Irish filmmaker. It's nice to see foreign, non-CG stuff in there.

I was thinking about Leo (the actor, not Bono's son) and the fact that he has yet to take home an Oscar. Not surprising considering actors who do win are ones that played a memorable role. Leo has fallen into predictability when it comes to making movies. He makes good ones, but he's just Leo in every movie.

Lego Movie was just Shrek all over again...a lot of pop culture jokes and not much else. Still, it was passable entertainment whereas The Boxtrolls had mediocre reviews and How To Train Your Dragon 2 literally copied all of the same tropes that you would expect from a straight-to-video sequel.

The other three animated nominees are actually art. Big Hero 6 surely has this in the bag.

I think the acting categories and Best Picture are a lock, but they were last year as well, so nothing's really changed. Last year's group as a whole was way more predictable when you went through all the categories.

There's an actual chance that Linklater doesn't win Best Director. Wes Anderson made a crowd-pleasing movie that was meticulously crafted and has done a lot of great work in the past. He could totally upset in the same way that Ang Lee rightfully won for Life of Pi.

Foxcatcher was easily the biggest snub, especially when we're nominating two Oscar-baity, historically inaccurate, highly flawed biographies (Theory of Everything/Imitation Game). But Foxcatcher was also always going to test a lot of audience's collective patience given the way it plays out.

This is the thing about The Lego Movie that keeps surprising me. The people today who are trying to claim it had no substance. What? It was a super deep movie for a children's animated film, and I'm surprised that a lot of people seem to have missed that .

Super deep by just having a simple moral attached to it like every other kid's film?

At least it's fucking Citizen Kane compared to the Disney-by-numbers flick that was Frozen. Lego Movie was at least sort of clever and its Oscar nominated track is at least a memorable entire song whereas "Let It Go" (and perhaps the entire success of Frozen) stemmed from the "cold never bothered me anyway" line catching people's ears.

Speaking of kids films, Brett McKenzie is the most snubbed music artist this year. He deserved another Muppet nomination for "Cockatoo In Malibu".

I seem to be the only one who read The Lego Movie as a really dark story, so maybe I'm the only one that feels it was really deep, but yeah, I thought it was super deep.

I know not everybody is 100% gung ho as I am, but I honestly feel Grand Budapest is a real 100 times more satisfying and interesting than any of the other films nominated for best pictures ans I'm fucking thrilled Wes got a nod for direction because there wasn't even anyone else within proximity of the game with a fraction of the talent and wherewithal this year aside from PTA, particularly that dipshit Innaritu. Rah rah.

It and Whiplash are my two favorite movies of the year, so I couldn't be happier that they were both nominated.

particularly that dipshit Innaritu

Did you see Birdman? I'm really not trying to be an asshole, but I haven't actually seen you write anything specific about the movie, just how much you loathe Innaritu as a director.

FWIW it's the only film I've seen of his and I've heard a lot of other people trash him while also saying Birdman is his only worthwhile film. Can't weigh on Innaritu himself but Birdman is a more than worthy Best Picture nominee.

Wes bugs the shit out of me sometimes but there's no question that Grand Budapest Hotel rules. GPH, Birdman and Whiplash are miles ahead of Boyhood. If any of those win (they won't), I'll be thrilled.

Last edited:
I haven't but I've seen all his other films and have read enough to know it shares a lot fo the same qualities. He's a bad director.

I'm pretty surprised that Dumb and Dumber To wasn't nominated for best picture.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Part of me wants to see Inherent Vice soon, but I love PTA too much and end up over-analyzing his films in my head for weeks on end. I should probably watch a couple of other new films immediately after just so I forget most of it.

I think the acting categories and Best Picture are a lock, but they were last year as well, so nothing's really changed. Last year's group as a whole was way more predictable when you went through all the categories.

I don't know where the hell you're getting this from, but you're wrong. Supporting Actress was certainly up for grabs, as Lawrence had won the Golden Globe and people were not sure if Lupita was going to take it.

Picture is another one that was up for grabs; while American Hustle didn't wind up winning a single award, it had a lot of nominations and won the Golden Globe for comedy/musical. No one was sure that 12 Years was going to win, especially considering it missed a couple Oscar nominations that people thought it should have (cinematography, original score). And people didn't think that it would take the top prize with only two other likely awards to go with it.

Gravity could have won Best Picture and no one would have been shocked.

There's an actual chance that Linklater doesn't win Best Director. Wes Anderson made a crowd-pleasing movie that was meticulously crafted and has done a lot of great work in the past. He could totally upset in the same way that Ang Lee rightfully won for Life of Pi.

I don't think these situations are the same, because Lee's film was considerably more mainstream, whereas I think Anderson is still a bit of a niche filmmaker. Some people are never going to be into his particular style. Plus, Lee's win was to many people a result of Affleck not being nominated, with the award having to go to someone who didn't direct the BP winner.

I do agree that Linklater isn't necessarily a shoo-in. While I can't speak to the quality of Boyhood as I still need to see it, many may feel his great achievement is in producing the thing, in terms of keeping the project afloat for so many years. He obviously got some great performances out of his actors as well, but perhaps Inarritu's direction will look more impressive to more people. Staging all of those extremely long takes is certainly not easy, and the film's ensemble was perfectly handled, maybe the best of the year.

I know not everybody is 100% gung ho as I am, but I honestly feel Grand Budapest is a real 100 times more satisfying and interesting than any of the other films nominated for best pictures ans I'm fucking thrilled Wes got a nod for direction because there wasn't even anyone else within proximity of the game with a fraction of the talent and wherewithal this year aside from PTA, particularly that dipshit Innaritu. Rah rah.

Yes, but that being said...

Did you see Birdman? I'm really not trying to be an asshole, but I haven't actually seen you write anything specific about the movie, just how much you loathe Innaritu as a director.

FWIW it's the only film I've seen of his and I've heard a lot of other people trash him while also saying Birdman is his only worthwhile film. Can't weigh on Innaritu himself but Birdman is a more than worthy Best Picture nominee.

I haven't but I've seen all his other films and have read enough to know it shares a lot fo the same qualities. He's a bad director.

Well, I think you're painting with too broad a brush. All of his films have featured stellar acting, from a young Garcia-Bernal and Luna in Amores Perros to veterans like Penn and Watts in 21 Grams (arguably career bests from both up to that point), an assortment of different nationalities and acting styles in Babel, and a single, powerful performance form Bardem in Biutiful.

Now, I didn't think much of him visually or formally up to this point, but I strongly disagree that it "shares a lot of the same qualities". It's jazzier and more self-aware (and self-deprecating) than anything else he's done. There are certainly preachy moments about art vs. commerce and the nature of criticism, selling out, etc., but it's never without another character taking the air out of another one's lofty pronouncements or navel-gazing.

It's easily his best film, and to write him off based on past films, especially with that cast and the wide raves it's received from various corners, would be presumptuous. That's not to say it's divisive, because it is, but that doesn't mean you'll hate it. Look at Glenn Kenny, who I consider one of the smartest film guys around.

In case you haven't read his review:

Some Came Running: The Invented Worlds Of "Birdman" And "Whiplash"

Oh I'm definitely being glibly dismissive just to emphasize a point. I'm still interested in seeing Birdman too. In reality I try my best to like everything, abd typically do to a degree. I guess there's a reason I've seen all his other films to date even though I haven't liked a single one of them. Don't mind taking in all I can.

I'm really happy for American Sniper. I'm hoping for Ida but it's got stiff competition with Birdman in Cinematography, and Leviathan in foreign films. Like others have said it'll be predictable in the main categories.

I understand the criticisms about Inarritu, especially after Babel, but Amores perros is an excellent debut, and Birdman does the tongue-in-cheek aspect of art vs. entertainment well enough for me to forgive certain transgressions of preachiness.

Well, I think you're painting with too broad a brush. All of his films have featured stellar acting, from a young Garcia-Bernal and Luna in Amores Perros

I'm pretty sure Luna is not in the film. Probably an Y tu mama tambien mix-up there.

I remember seeing Devendra Banhart live in LA around '07 and out walked Gael Garcia Bernal and Natalie Portman to sing backup and my heart started racing and I got so excited because I was just awestruck by seeing such beauty in living flesh in front of me. Oh, and Natalie was alright I guess.

Hrm. Let me look up that show. I don't think it was her. It wasn't actually. It was just some chick with long hair. Oh well.

Whiplash was insanely good. So far I have seen that Boyhood, American Sniper, Imitation Game, & Birdman.

I'd vote for Whiplash based on what I've seen so far. I was totally immersed in a world that was completely foreign to me. And the unexpected payout was there in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom