And the Oscar goes to... Dick Poop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you miss the part about Inside Out receiving more critical acclaim than nearly anything else nominated tonight?

Film Critic Top 10 Lists - Best Movies of 2015 - Metacritic

There's no logical metric that makes Inside Out undeserving. It's just not a safe, vaguely biographical live action drama starring white people. If it had fallen into that category and put up the sales and reviews that it did, the film would have swept the award circuit. Alas.
White people? ?
I thought the girl and her family were white
Are you fighting the power? with Jada and FP

But voice was provided by Mindy Kaling, I think (voice of disgust). so that has some diversity, right? I know remainder of main cast are white but still.

Diversity is a major problem with the Academy, but Will and Jada (and Chris Rock) are focusing too much on blacks getting screwed over and not enough on ALL minority races getting screwed over.

yeah I don't see actors from deep forest in Benezuela who speaks English and one of those language that is about to extinct.

So during the Dave Grohl Blackbird in tribute thing they showed a clip of Bowie... From Zoolander?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So during the Dave Grohl Blackbird in tribute thing they showed a clip of Bowie... From Zoolander?

Yup. "I believe I can be of service"

One of the greatest movie cameos. They could have used mans grasp exceeds his reach from the Prestige. I think the Zoolander clip captured him as recognizable. Very brief.

And Fight the Power to close, like holy supreme fuckin irony.

I laughed too hard at this. If those old Academy motherfuckers had patted themselves on the back any harder with that song choice, they would have wound up in traction.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you can read last night's ceremony as anything other than an apology. That's clearly what it was.

Also, the sorority racism bit by Chris Rock was absolutely brilliant.

Personally, I thought the most salient point made by Chris Rock last night was that the lack of diversity is as much a matter of opportunity as it is racial bias amongst the voters. It's an institutional problem. The blue chip roles aren't there unless you're lucky enough to land a spot in a high budget, racially-charged biography.

Personally, I thought the most salient point made by Chris Rock last night was that the lack of diversity is as much a matter of opportunity as it is racial bias amongst the voters. It's an institutional problem. The blue chip roles aren't there unless you're lucky enough to land a spot in a high budget, racially-charged biography.

This.

And, to add to your quote without editing "..or possibly, as a slave or other stereotypical role usually reserved for non-whites."

Having said that, there are opportunities. Hollywood just seems to figure out a way to fuck with them

Finally Leo, even if his better roles got passed over in the past and his preaching aside.

If only more prominent people would "preach" so passionately about how our environment is going down the toilet.

There isn't a more important issue.

Exactly. Its not like a ton of great minority performances were passed over by the Academy for nominations, moreso minorities didn't get to act in those roles.

The whole show was a patronizing farce.

And Fight the Power to close, like holy supreme fuckin irony.

I guess 99% of people alive in 1990 now have the attention span/memory of a rodent.

Yeah, Public Enemy being overlooked for a Best Song nomination is just one of the many ways Do The Right Thing got fucked that year.

My major problem with Rock's content (which I found mostly hilarious and scathing) was that he focused too much on acting roles. Even if more POC are cast, they're still appearing in films predominantly written and directed by white men and women. That's not legitimately offering up a diversity of vision and experience, as you can't expect whites to represent worlds they can't completely empathize with. Everything goes back to the studios buying/putting more scripts by POC into production. Following that, more POC need to be directing those scripts.

I'm not encouraging a total segregation of Hollywood, where whites only appear in films by whites, blacks only appear in films by blacks, etc. But actors are merely the vessels through which the stories are told, and what we're seeing in theatres is not the full range of the society we're living in.

My major problem with Rock's content (which I found mostly hilarious and scathing) was that he focused too much on acting roles. Even if more POC are cast, they're still appearing in films predominantly written and directed by white men and women. That's not legitimately offering up a diversity of vision and experience, as you can't expect whites to represent worlds they can't completely empathize with. Everything goes back to the studios buying/putting more scripts by POC into production. Following that, more POC need to be directing those scripts.

Very true. When I saw a black screenwriter highlighted during the in memoriam segment, I was taken aback. It's not something you see very often and that needs to change if the stories being told are in any way reflective of our world in 2016.

Last edited:

Dude, it's probably his greatest single on-screen moment. I was pleased.

I was disappointed they didn't take advantage of the orchestra right there to give James Horner more love. That was really surprising. Just showed him conducting for two seconds with no sound :(.

Man, I'm so disappointed Spotlight won. That movie really fucked up a great topic. An important topic, and then the guys didn't even really give any thought to their speech whatsoever. You were on the stage and had every chance to make a statement, and then almost as an afterthought were like, "Make the Vatican hear us." and it was like...where have you guys been the last two years? There's traction in the Vatican, maybe not enough, but they needed to say something like that, instead of acting like the issue is still being ignored by the church. Call them out for not doing more. But don't pretend like the work of those Globe reporters has been for nothing.

I really liked Spotlight. Way more than Big Short, which I saw a lot of people were predicting over the weekend.

Spotlight is the first film in like 60+ years to win Best Picture with only one other award. My guess is that if there wasn't category confusion with Keaton and he had been promoted solely in supporting, he may have won. But it really was a true ensemble effort.

12 Years A Slave only won two additional.

Spotlight was very good. My beef is that the 'moment' the film turns, hinges on Stanley Tucci's poor recall.

Solid procedural movie that peels back the layers of the onion. I love these movies. However there weren't any classic moments or scenes except for the very end when the phones start ringing off the hook.

Revenant was great for a period piece and showcase of human endurance. But I'm in not hurry to watch it again because it was draining on me as a viewer. In the same league as "There Will Be Blood"

I was rooting for "The Big Short". It was a heist movie that explained the complicated meltdown that affected the world. Glad McKay got an award for Screenplay. Proud of my fellow Penn Stater. Amazing that it took the director of Anchorman to explain the housing bubble in a fun movie that did have a moral compass within its characters.

I always enjoy reading the Honest Oscar Ballots on Hollywood Reporter to see what the voters thought. They only published 3 this year.

I was also pulling for Sly but Mark Rylance owned "Bridge of Spies". Nice win for Ex Machina. Another takeaway from the awards, Tom Hardy and Alicia Vikander had monster years.

If only more prominent people would "preach" so passionately about how our environment is going down the toilet.

There isn't a more important issue.

Exactly! The dude had millions of people watching at that moment. That is the moment to seize the opportunity and say something meaningful. It ain't just about thanking the Academy and your agent. Leo delivered a great speech.

Revenant was great for a period piece and showcase of human endurance. But I'm in not hurry to watch it again because it was draining on me as a viewer. In the same league as "There Will Be a Blood".

TWBB is a considerably more intelligent film. So in that regard I don't think it's in the same league.

I'm having a very cynical day. I didn't get much sleep.

But I would like to think that most journalists wouldn't give him a pat on the back just for saying something nice and generic about the environment.

Back
Top Bottom