Americas Next Top Model Cycle 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a bigfuck crazy year for reality TV!

Survivor has just pulled off the first genuinely thrilling season since Survivor Amazon, Top Model got it right - but the final two were for the first time ever imo that it could have gone either way and pretty much no-one would've minded - and Project Runway 4 was an absolute hoot.

Heres hoping Top Chef (which this season frankly has been a bit dull) gets spiced up and the new season of The Amazing Race kicks butt!

I was sooooo over these kinds of shows at the end of last year (the Canadian Top Model and Project Runway absolutely projectile shitted over the US versions...)- but the payout thus far in 2008 has been amazing.

seriously Anya blew it on the runway!!..I didnt like Whitneys first dress, the pink one complimented her better :up:

Im glad Whitney won!! YAY!

I just hope she gets acting lessons because in the commercials she was really bad...:huh: especially the Intalian on, she over acts. but Im sure she will get better :)

I think there's only been a short break between cycles for a while now.

I'm just so glad this cycle was better (for me, anyway) than the Saleisha cycle. I thought it was a much better crop of girls, and I liked that Tyra seemed to crank up the wackiness of her appearances.

She needed to ditch a lot of the self-importance she'd gotten over the course of the show. She ain't Oprah, no matter how much she wants to be, and her "nurturing" of the girls got to be so eye-roll-worthy.

BonoFox1 said:
seriously Anya blew it on the runway!!..I didnt like Whitneys first dress, the pink one complimented her better :up:

:)

seriously,

I'd like to see them do it over,
each wearing the others dresses

or at least the same dresses

Wednesday night's finale on the CW, Whitney Thompson became the first plus-size model to win the ANTM competition, a result met with tepid politically correct applause. But not from Gawker's readers: "Are you seriously not gonna say anything about the fact that some fat girl won ANTM over the one who got an excision?" one asks. "It's sooo unfair I don't even now why to make myself puke anymore!" Well, the outcome may indeed have been unfair. Some mean-spirited critics have noted that show creator and host Tyra Banks, a former supermodel, is above her fighting weight. And a friend of a friend of blogger Rich Juzwiak says the show's makers may have—shockingly!—planned on a plus-size victory from this season's very start.

The claim is that Whitney did not try out for top model but was approached on a plane by someone from the show. She was already doing modeling as a size 2 or 4 but because she was closer to a 4 she was a little too big for the show as a regular model. They told her that if she went and gained 10-20 pounds they would definitely put her on the show as "the plus-size model". [via Juzwiak's Four Four]

http://gawker.com/5009418/did-tyra-banks-fix-americas-next-top-model

If you scroll down to the comments, there are pics of Whitney modeling bikinis as a size 2 - 4.

I knew this season was fixed, and I am annoyed by that. But for some reason, I am going to watch this show next season :shrug:

Pearl said:

http://gawker.com/5009418/did-tyra-banks-fix-americas-next-top-model

If you scroll down to the comments, there are pics of Whitney modeling bikinis as a size 2 - 4.

I knew this season was fixed, and I am annoyed by that. But for some reason, I am going to watch this show next season :shrug:

Well that definitely cements the idea that this season was in fact fixed from the beginning!

She looks really good in those bikini pictures.

I dunno. I'm having a hard time getting all het up about scandals in relation to Top Model (Saleisha excepted, because she just sucked and was ridiculous).

I mean ... it's a reality TV show, and it's been on long enough those who have been watching know it's never the most "modelly" girl who wins, right?

I don't think there's much of a scandal here - we did see pictures of a younger Whitney and she was on the bigger side (i.e., pictures of her growing up, shown after she won), so it's not like she's always been super skinny and gained weight to be the ringer on the show.

I also saw an interview with Whitney where she was asked about the photos, and she stood by them, although she said they were photoshopped to make her look thinner (if I remember correctly).

Plus, how many plus-sized models said they tried to make a go of it as a regular model, but trying to maintain the thinner weight was too difficult and led to eating disorders?

Finally (I'll shut up soon, I swear!) - Whitney's not the first contestant who was approached to be on the show. Remember tall blonde Sarah from the season with Jade, Danielle and Joanie? They came up to her in a mall and asked her to come and check it out.

I just don't see it as a big deal. It's America's Next Top Model, you know? A lot of the non-winners seem to get work here and there as well, so it's not the end of the world.

I'll totally keep watching. :wink: I thought this season was loads better than the last - I didn't like any of the girls last season (although Jenah kind of grew on me).

One of the 14 girls who will compete on the new season of America's Next Top Model – which returns to The CW on September 3 – is transgender.

"My cards were dealt differently," Isis, a 22-year-old former receptionist, tells Us Weekly exclusively in its new issue, on newsstands now.

Hailing from Prince George's County, Maryland, Isis identifies herself as "a woman born physically male."

Will she be a role model?

"I like to help people, but I'm here to follow my dreams," she tells Us.

The inclusion of Isis is being hailed by GLAAD president Neil Giuliano as "an unprecedented opportunity for a community that is underrepresented on television.

"We applaud Tyra Banks and The CW for making this historic visibility of transgender people possible," Giuliano said.

isis-b.jpg

I'm pretty sure Isis was featured as one of the "extras" in the homeless-themed photo shoot last season.

And I remember watching some documentary on PBS or Discovery or something about transgendered youths in NYC prepping for some ball, and Isis was on there too, I think.

An ANTM thread, eh?

Hmmmmm I'll give you two guesses as to whether or not I'm a HUGE fan of ANTM. I don't know how I missed this thread earlier. Anyways, I'm here now.

I'll just start with some history. It began on an uneventful hungover morning. I had passed out on my friends couch the night before and, as I often do after a night of heavy drinking, I woke up very early. Lo and behold, there it was, on VH1...a Season 1 America's Next Top Model marathon. I happened to wake up right when the first episode started. I sat on that couch, wearing the same clothes that I'd slept in, and I watched EVERY episode of Season 1. It was the entire day. I think it was a Saturday. Maybe a Sunday.

Anyway, that first season was captivating and I was hooked. It was the one where Adrienne won, I'm sure you guys remember it. And it involved a bald headed black girl, some bible thumpers, and Elyse.

Elyse was who sold me on the show. Here was a gorgeous and intelligent young girl who had been tossed into a whirlwind of a reality TV program hosted by a psychotic Tyra Banks and she didn't know what to do. Elyse had moments of doubt...looking into the camera and saying that she didn't want to be there. She didn't want to be a model. And then, whoosh, she almost won! I was, however, very happy that Adrienne won. She's cool. She smokes cigarettes and generally doesn't give a fuck about anything.

So that was it, I devoured all the other VH1 marathons of ANTM after that.

My VERY favorite season, you ask? Season 5. Easily. Unbelievably entertaining stuff. A lot of my appreciation of the show has to do with the fact that I develop big crushes on certain contestants. But Season 5 was just outta control.

Sarah (looked like Scarlett Johansson), Kyle, Lisa (drunk), Jayla, Bre (crazy)...

But there were two girls on Cycle 5 that I was in love with. One was named Kim and the other was named Nicole. I'm sure you remember them. Kim was the lesbian with the great personality and Nicole was the Rory Gilmore lookalike. I can't tell you how proud I was of Kim making it so far and then, of course, with Nicole winning the whole thing. Here they are...

TopModelGalleryKim4.jpg

NextTopModel5Winner-NicoleLinkletter.jpg

I also really liked drunk Lisa on that cycle. She was hilarious. Well, I'm rambling. I'll stop now. Thanks, bye.

Oh, GAF. Just when I think I can't :heart: you any more.

I love this show. Season 5 was great - I LOVED Kim. She has a gig doing news stuff and the like for MTV now, I think.

I loved the first season - Elyse has gone on to have a lot of success modelling in Asia, which is awesome. Adrienne has become a reality show trainwreck, but she was great on the show.

The second season was another favorite - Yoanna was one of my favorite winners.

I think my all-time favorite season was the season where the final two were Joanie and Danielle. I really wanted Joanie to win, but it was hard to be disappointed when Danielle won, because they were both awesome. Plus, it had Jade, who was hilarious and frightening. And I really liked the really skinny African-American girl whose name I'm totally blanking on right now ... Furonda! She was really quirky.

I haven't liked the last few seasons as much - they're just trying too hard now, but I can't stop watching it. The worst season and worst winner was Saleisha, who was the most obvious plant they've ever had.

Kim is working for MTV, really? Wow wow wow. I've always thought she could be an actress or something like that. Where can I find her on MTV? I must see this.

:hyper:

And, yeah, I really wanted Joanie to win that year, too. Oh well.

I didn't watch this most recent cycle. But was it the one right before that that had the showdown between Melrose and Carridee? I was in love with both of them. And I wanted Melrose to win. Oh well, again.

Kim is working for MTV, really? Wow wow wow. I've always thought she could be an actress or something like that. Where can I find her on MTV? I must see this.

:hyper:

I have seen her a few times doing reports on stories. She is still as pretty as ever!

Can't wait for the new season to begin :hyper: Should be interesting with having a transgender this time around.

And, yeah, I really wanted Joanie to win that year, too. Oh well.

I didn't watch this most recent cycle. But was it the one right before that that had the showdown between Melrose and Carridee? I was in love with both of them. And I wanted Melrose to win. Oh well, again.

I also wanted Joanie to win!

also from season 4 Naimah and Katelyn..I think Katelyn should have won!

^I had to root for Naima because she's a Detroit girl like me. Oh, alright, she was actually from the city. I'm from a Stepford-like suburb 25 minutes south of it.:wink: I'm still street, though.:lol: I did like Kahlen though. She was definitely one of the most down-to-earth girls in the competition, and she was really talented. I remember that amazing photo she took in the 7 deadly sins shoot down in the grave plot. This was right after she found out a friend of hers had died. She definitely deserved to win, too.

^I had to root for Naima because she's a Detroit girl like me. Oh, alright, she was actually from the city. I'm from a Stepford-like suburb 25 minutes south of it.:wink: I'm still street, though.:lol: I did like Kahlen though. She was definitely one of the most down-to-earth girls in the competition, and she was really talented. I remember that amazing photo she took in the 7 deadly sins shoot down in the grave plot. This was right after she found out a friend of hers had died. She definitely deserved to win, too.

Kahlen was a chameleon!..Yeah Naima was unique but I was so rooting for Kahlen

I liked Naima on the show, but wow, everytime I saw her after she won, she looked like hot buttered ass and I'd think "HOW did she win this thing?"

I liked Naima, but whenever I watched the reruns on VH1 or MTV, I think Brittany should've won. She had the personality, she took great pictures and improved the most.

:bump:

Did anyone watch the premiere tonight? Should we make a new thread or what? Or just change the title of this one? I don't know.

Anyways, I only got to watch the first hour. But I will give you some first impressions. The girls I already have huge crushes on are Analeigh, Lauren (she reminds me of a girl I have a crush on in real life), Samantha, and Hannah. But the girl I might be totally in love with and who I think I want to win is Clark. She is quite possibly the hottest girl they've ever had on this show. Wow.

I also like Joslyn the girl who had tried out "like 30 times" before. She's entertaining.

So who got kicked off in the second hour? I hope it wasn't Clark or Lauren or Samantha. Although, I really doubt Clark got kicked off unless she totally screwed something up. She is unbelievably good-looking and will probably go far.

Tyra and the two J's were their usual hilarious selves from what I saw and I look forward to watching the rest of the season.

I think Isis is .... not attractive. :reject: Photographs well, though.

When I first saw Elina in some local Seattle promos, I thought she was fug, but when I watched the show, I thought she was stunning.

I like Annaleigh. I don't care for Lauren Brie - I don't like that totally pale-invisible eyebrows look.

GAF, one of the Brittanys (the African-American girl with the curly hair) got booted. I forgot what she had changed her name to.

The whole space theme thing was so over-the-top ridiculous, but I kind of like that for the last few cycles, they've really started embracing the complete ridiculousness of the show.

Yeah, I don't know if Isis will make it very far. Maybe.

But Cori what do you think of Clark? She's gotta be the frontrunner right now. Yowza, she is super hot. :drool:

But does she have what it takes to be top model? We will see. Only Tyra knows.

Back
Top Bottom