American Idol - Season 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Not so much," said the 36-year-old. :wink:

It just didn't sound like a single. Given Idol's track history, would you expect to turn on any pop radio station and hear that?

I would assume that as a single, they'd tart it up a bit, add more instrumentation, a schmaltzy string treatment, etc.

Both possible singles are all bad imo. I dont get it. They've both sung WAY better songs than those in this season. Why they picked those is beyond me.

Not that most of the Idol winner's singles have ever been much other than saccharine radio-friendly pop schmaltz, but it just seems to be another reason why Idol sucks this season and is running down - releasing cover songs as their singles? :huh:

I like the Patty Griffin song a lot although I don't listen to the radio and have no idea who else has covered it or if it was made famous by one person in particular, or if everyone in the world knows that song and are sick to death of it. I just know it as a Patty Griffin song and I think it's a great song. I was actually moved by Crystal's performance. Would I buy it? I dunno. Maybe to support her. I confess I have never bought an Idol song or record before.

So these were both songs Crystal and Lee picked? I thought the singles were always selected for them.

So these were both songs Crystal and Lee picked? I thought the singles were always selected for them.

They always have been in the past, but someone said earlier that Lee picked Beautiful Day. I actually find that hard to believe, because he really didn't seem all that comfortable up there or happy to be performing it. Hell, he didn't even seem very familiar with the song.

I could be totally wrong.

Updates / Spoilers(?)
* UPDATE!!! from Kelly Clarkson’s Facebook HERE, “Don’t miss Kelly performing tonight on American Idol! She and fellow winner Fantasia will be performing “Together We Are One” as a farewell performance to Simon Cowell. American Idol airs tonight at 8 pm on Fox.
* UPDATE: Janelle Wheeler will host the Crystal Bowersox party in Ohio
* UPDATE: Blake Lewis just tweeted, “Off to rehearsal for tonight’s American idol season 9 finale. Excited to be back on the show.
* UPDATE: Jordin Sparks tells the JohnJayandRich show that she’ll be on the Idol Finale. Podcast will be posted HERE soon.

Rumors

* From @Mix1063:
* The guys of season 9 are singing Hall and Oats “You make my dreams come true” and “Maneater”
* “Lee sings with Hall and Oats “I can’t go for that” Tomorrow Night on Fox 66?
* “Crystal Bowersox performs Joe Cocker “With a Little help from my friends””
* AINow.org is reporting that there will be a tribute performance featuring Idols on Wednesday, but it will only include Idols not signed by 19
* TMZ is reporting that Paula Abdul was out shopping for a dress recently and that she will be attending the finale tomorrow. More HERE.
* Hollywood Life is reporting that Lee Dwyze and Crystal Bowersox will sing with Joe Cocker at the Idol finale! ! Read more HERE.
* “American Idols Top 10 perform “Schools out For The Summer” by Alice Cooper Tuesday” via @MIX1063 (if this is true, I would think the group number is for Wednesday’s finale)
* People magazine reported that Paula Abdul will appear to help send off Simon Cowell. At the very least, she will probably appear in a video tribute.
* Janet Jackson will perform on the results show.
* Chicago, the Bee Gees and Hall and Oats have supposedly been tapped to keep the Baby Boomer demo happy.
* Cleveland radio station @WQAL “Seems the Christina Aguilera rumor is true.. as we hear the gals practicing Stronger! Sounds Good!”
* @WQAL “Rehearsals going on… The Boys are practicing a rendition of “Pants on the Ground!!!”
* Idol Tracker reports that the Melissa Etheridge/Crystal Bowersox duet may be back on the table (The appearance contract Etheridge signed with Dancing With The Stars would not allow her to appear on the Idol finale)”

Idols who have confirmed their return to the Finale (or not)

* Elliott Yamin tweeted on Monday: “my homie taytay hicks gets in town 2day…gonna get 2 share the stage with him again!..1st time since r idol days..can yall guess what 4 ??” (Tay tay is Taylor Hicks).
* Michael Johns tweeted on Monday: “It was fun being back at the Idol finale today. Good to see some old friends. I got asked to perform on Wednesday night. Pretty excited…Can’t give too many details sorry but its going to be pretty epic”
* Blake Lewis tweeted last night that he WILL NOT BE PERFORMING on the finale
* Kelly Clarkson and Fantasia will perform “Together We Are One” as a tribute to Simon Cowell
* Blake Lewis confirmed he will be performing

Confirmed to Perform:

* Christina Aguilera, Carrie Underwood, Kris Allen and Enrique Iglesias will be appearing on Wednesday’s finale to perform their new singles.

Two comments:

* Elliott Yamin tweeted on Monday: “my homie taytay hicks gets in town 2day…gonna get 2 share the stage with him again!..1st time since r idol days..can yall guess what 4 ??” (Tay tay is Taylor Hicks).

Oh, Elliott. You are not a 13-year-old girl.

* Blake Lewis tweeted last night that he WILL NOT BE PERFORMING on the finale

* Blake Lewis confirmed he will be performing

:lol: Thanks for clearing that up, Blake.

I loved Crystal's performance of "Up to the Mountain". Not sure if it would sell as a single....probably wouldn't, but it was gorgeous.

Tonight concludes my American Idol viewing forever. Had never seen the show before this season, and will never watch again. A lot of people have bashed this season, both within and without this thread, and a lot of the criticism seems legit to me. However, I'll just say that with the exception of Adam Lambert, every single ex-Idol that has performed on the show this season has left me completely underwhelmed. And if I could get any five albums of theirs, collectively, for the price of one, or get one album from Crystal at the same price, I'll take the one album from Crystal without hesitation.

I loved Crystal's performance of "Up to the Mountain". Not sure if it would sell as a single....probably wouldn't, but it was gorgeous.

....if I could get any five albums of theirs, collectively, for the price of one, or get one album from Crystal at the same price, I'll take the one album from Crystal without hesitation.

I just lost the last remnants of whatever little respect I had left for you. This hurts me more than coolian's godawful pun.

Two comments:

Oh, Elliott. You are not a 13-year-old girl.

I thought they disavowed all knowledge of Taylor Hicks?

I hope this means all former winners will be back, cause I'd love to see David Cook up there.

There's been no mention of him appearing. I haz sad :(
At least I got to see him perform in the finals on the Tuesday show a couple of years ago :)

He's been all over this week. Hope he's looking after himself!!!

You have one as a spoiler and one not :lol:

ETA: :whistle:

Damn you! :wink:

I wonder if they did covers this time because the originals of the prior years' winners didn't sell very well.

Though I can't imagine the Leebomination selling any better.

I wonder if they did covers this time because the originals of the prior years' winners didn't sell very well.

Though I can't imagine the Leebomination selling any better.

Actually Cook's single did really well even with the damn magic rainbows. Last year's was a disaster. That was a bad written song, even Adam had issues singing it. Could you imagine Lee attempting that? Thanks Kara :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is what they do on X-Factor, have a performer sing a cover. I think it would be more effective if it were an older song not one written this decade.

Don't know if I posted this earlier

Chicago will perform a medley of their big hits with a male contestant.

I'm wondering if I can wait to watch or if I will follow online with spoilers :panic: :shifty:

Chicago will perform a medley of their big hits with a male contestant.

Any chance it'll be the awesome 70s stuff with awesome horns, instead of the shitty Peter Cetera 80s Chicago? One can only hope.

I think I'll tune into the last 10 minutes or so to see the winner, and then watch the rest via fast forward on DVR to see if anything interesting happened.

Just saw Michael Lynch perform with Michael McDonald. They took it to the streets :)

luckily you just missed Dane Cook :|

I'm trying to decide if I want to be spoiled for the winner or not. I'll probably read it on fb anyway.

Back
Top Bottom