American Idol - Season 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
It's back, my friends.

Seacrest is back.

The drama is back.

The overwhelming joy of one nation coming together to share in love, laughter, hope, music, and cheesiness. It's back.

Tomorrow night, 8 pm EST.

Simon, Randy, Kara and ... Ellen DeGeneres.

Yeah, wtf indeed. But I'm glad Paula's gone.

I'll still watch, because while I hate to love it, I love to hate it as well. :lol:

Now that my choir rehearses on tuesdays though, I'll be forever behind. But at least I can fast-forward through a lot on DVR.

Oh my sweet Idol, you're returning at last.:love: It'll be hard to top last season. I don't think we'll ever see anyone with Adam's level of talent on the Idol stage again. Plus, it was pretty kick ass that one of my friends came in 5th. On the judge's angle, as much as I adore Ellen, I'll really miss Paula. I know she was loopy and strange, but I still really liked her. With her and Simon both gone next year, I doubt I'll watch. I'm hearing Simon wants her to come and judge with him on the U.S. X Factor, and if so, I'll definitely be watching that.

So who all are the judges? Paula quit right.

And for the early audition weeks there will be a new guest judge every episode. Some of the guest judges include Avril, Victoria Beckham, and Joe Jonas!

Simon is out after this season to bring us the X-Factor. :hmm:

Yeah, and I find that a bit strange. The X-Factor is basically the exact same show as American Idol. It would be weird if we had both Idol and X-Factor in the States. There should really only be one large scale "let's find a pop singer" show, in my opinion. Simon probably knows something that we don't know. Maybe Idol will be shut down completely in 2011 and we'll just have X-Factor?

But then what would happen to Seacrest? :sad:

There are potentially dark times ahead.

I think the Seacrest will be just fine without Idol - he hosts a weekly radio countdown show, hosts a show on E, and probably is plotting his world takeover as we speak.

I think the Seacrest will be just fine without Idol - he hosts a weekly radio countdown show, hosts a show on E, and probably is plotting his world takeover as we speak.

:lol: Not to mention, X Factor will need a host too. If the reports are to believed and Simon has invited Paula to be a fellow judge on the show (which I believe. He was very unhappy that she left.), I don't see why he wouldn't ask Ryan, Randy, and possibly even Kara (though I can do without her), to join him on the show. FOX is supposedly saying Idol isn't going anywhere yet, but who knows?

There's no point in American Idol without Simon. It would be like 24 without Jack Bauer. It would be like a 007 movie without 007. It would be like U2 without Bono. It would be like the Chicago Bulls of the 1990s without Michael Jordan(except of course that Michael Jordan is better at basketball, Bono at singing, 007 at being a spy, and Jack Bauer at saving at the world than Simon likely is at anything sans knowing how to spot other peoples' talents). It doesn't work without any of them. It doesn't work without Simon. People don't watch for musical quality, they watch in the early weeks to see Simon make [sometimes visibly unstable] people cry or go on an obscenity-laden tirade devoid of any modicum of self-awareness, and they watch in the later weeks/months to see if any of the people who can actually sing can get the ultimate stamp of approval - a smile, standing ovation, or something from Simon that shows that he was genuinely excited/moved(although I don't see much on American Idol that would be moving). Does anyone else feel this way?

There's no point in American Idol without Simon. It would be like 24 without Jack Bauer. It would be like a 007 movie without 007. It would be like U2 without Bono. It would be like the Chicago Bulls of the 1990s without Michael Jordan(except of course that Michael Jordan is better at basketball, Bono at singing, 007 at being a spy, and Jack Bauer at saving at the world than Simon likely is at anything sans knowing how to spot other peoples' talents). It doesn't work without any of them. It doesn't work without Simon. People don't watch for musical quality, they watch in the early weeks to see Simon make [sometimes visibly unstable] people cry or go on an obscenity-laden tirade devoid of any modicum of self-awareness, and they watch in the later weeks/months to see if any of the people who can actually sing can get the ultimate stamp of approval - a smile, standing ovation, or something from Simon that shows that he was genuinely excited/moved(although I don't see much on American Idol that would be moving). Does anyone else feel this way?

A little over-dramatic, and he's certainly not the only reason that millions of people watch the show. But, yeah, I agree it won't be the same without him.

EDIT: I can't read.

He's talking about the rejected contestants re: the obsenity-laden tirades.

I'd like to believe that I wouldn't watch the show if Simon left, but knowing me I'd still watch it anyway to see how good (or not) the singers are.

I don't think the show will be the same without Simon. I happened to really like him. The talent this year I don't know, last years group I think was a special group, especially that glam rock guy! :lol:

It was rumoured that the X Factor judges could possibly be Cheryl Cole, Dannii Minogue, Louis Walsh < who are all on the UK version, or Paula. The UK host and Irishman, Dermot O'Leary, has been rumoured as the US host. I think the US version would have to field half the judges as Americans for some reason. Would Americans jive with only one of their countrymen on the panel? I know Canadians wouldn't care if that happened up here.

Just as Pop Idol was cancelled in the UK and X Factor took over, I think the same could happen with AI. Simon Cowell is a huge part of AI and bringing Paula over with himself to judge X Factor is going to be seriously damaging to AI. I don't think there's room for both shows on the same network. Of course these shows would be on a different parts of the year.

Well, I think they'd need to have judges that the American viewers are more likely to have heard of. I don't think there are a lot of viewers of Idol who know who Cheryl Cole, Dannii Minogue or Louis Walsh are.

I'd love to see the X Factor be brought to the US - no age limit, groups as well as solo singers. :up:

Yeah, Simon apparently has grown very fond of Cheryl (and who can blame him?), and rumors have been swirling for months that he'd try to bring her over to host in America. I would be fucking thrilled. She's absolutely one of my favorite people on the planet and the exposure for her, and by extension for Girls Aloud, in America would be wonderful. But I don't see it happening. Her whole life and whole family is in England, and she's got a great thing going over there. I could very well be wrong, but I don't see Cheryl joining the American X Factor judges panel.

And, as far as I know, I haven't heard anything about Simon wanting to bring Dannii and Louis over. I think it's just Cheryl. He sees potential in her, particularly, to be a hit with American audiences. And he's right on the money, as usual.

Just as Pop Idol was cancelled in the UK and X Factor took over, I think the same could happen with AI. Simon Cowell is a huge part of AI and bringing Paula over with himself to judge X Factor is going to be seriously damaging to AI. I don't think there's room for both shows on the same network.

I agree completely. I think Simon bringing X Factor over to the States is the death knell for American Idol. I think I read something that Idol's contract with Fox ends in 2011 anyway so we could be watching the last, or second to last, run of American Idol.

I feel almost certain that Cheryl Cole will be on it........if she dumps her husband...lol. I'm not that fond of him although I like him when he's playing for my England. She is great though but it seems a big gamble for her and her personal life is she makes such a big move.

If bringing Cheryl Cole over to these shores means more any US exposure for Girls Aloud, then I am all for it. :up:

I'm missing Paula. The show just isn't the same without the chemistry of the original 3. That being said, I thought Victoria Beckham did a really good job. She actually was honest and gave real feedback, which is more than I can say for most guest judges. Also, I think my favorite part of the auditions is Ryan's subtle douchey-ness to the crappy contestants.:lol:
Also, I'm fairly certain that the asshat wearing Superman's Clark Kent glasses was an actor or something. It was pretty obvious he was put up to that by someone.

I was only really impressed with a few people tonight: Tyler, the guy that sang "Let's Get It On; he had a really unique voice and a really genuine quality about him. Also, that 16 year old girl Katie that sang "At Last" was amazing. And Justin the guy who beat cancer; he has a great range. I love anyone who sings "Feelin' Good" well. Plus, he's smokin' hot. :combust:

"You sound like a 3 year old girl dressed like LaToya Jackson.":lmao: Best. Simon. Insult. Ever.

Victoria Beckham was such a waste of time-she didnt have any real feedback in the begining all she was doing waas repaeating what the others were saying!!
The only time I thought she was ok was in the second half of the show when she bickered with Simon

If bringing Cheryl Cole over to these shores means more any US exposure for Girls Aloud, then I am all for it. :up:

Exactly. And it would bring exposure, if at least a little bit. If she's judging on some new hit singing competition, at least a few people will look up her name, see who she is, and download an Aloud song or two. And that would be a beautiful thing. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

But, like I said, I have a gut feeling that she won't do it. Hoping I'm wrong.

"You sound like a 3 year old girl dressed like LaToya Jackson.":lmao: Best. Simon. Insult. Ever.

That was a great one. And I agree with your spoiler comment above about the guy with glasses. He totally came off like a paid actor or something. Hmmm.

Anyway, I really enjoyed tonight's premiere and am very happy that this show is back. Idol 4eva.

Cancer guy was hot! :drool: (do we remember is name?) and the 16 year old that sang at last was very good

Back
Top Bottom