American Idol - Season 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that's easy. MJB's One is far better.

I really think that the hate for her cover of the song is more representative of a general distaste for R&B/Hip hop among many U2 fans rather than that the song was poorly done.

Exactly!! And the hate..it's absolutely ludicrous, it's probably one of the best U2 covers of all time. And yes so it sounds kindof like a hip hop/rnb flavor to it...but wait...the original One did too in terms of the rhythm, as did UTEOTW, Ultraviolet, So Cruel...also..it IS U2 on the track, in case people forget.

As for Lee's BD...honestly, I think that was one of the worst final round performances I've ever seen. Mailed in, no emotion, hardly even tried to hit a high note or take it to another level with the vocal arrangement...I was waiting for a special spine tingling moment and it just never came. Bland, bland, bland. :down: :down: And his announcement as winner for THAT??! I'm sorry, but AI just hit the all-time low IMO. It's too bad Crystal choked up, because she was just so beautiful there.

And yes so it sounds kindof like a hip hop/rnb flavor to it...but wait...the original One did too in terms of the rhythm, as did UTEOTW, Ultraviolet, So Cruel...also..it IS U2 on the track, in case people forget.

Careful now. Them's fightin' words.

Ah well, U2 has always been a lot blacker than most of their fans. :wink:

What's that line from The Commitments?

The Irish are the Blacks of Europe ...
Dubliners are the Blacks of Ireland ...
People from the north side are the Blacks of Dublin!

So say it once, say it loud - I'm Black and I'm proud!

Aren't U2 from the north side? :wink:

I have no problem with Mary covering the song. My only issue is that in the performances I've seen where she does it, I think she oversings it a bit at times. But I've no problem with rap/hip-hop artists covering U2. Or sampling them-I saw the performance that Jay-Z did at a Glastonbury festival, the one with the "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" sample, and I thought it kicked ass.

Angela

musically, the mjb version of one is closer to how it's been played live and is mildly more enjoyable until it gets awfully oversung.

and there's nothing hip hop about it, unless you consider having a black woman singing is hip hop.

What's that line from The Commitments?

The Irish are the Blacks of Europe ...
Dubliners are the Blacks of Ireland ...
People from the north side are the Blacks of Dublin!

So say it once, say it loud - I'm Black and I'm proud!

Aren't U2 from the north side? :wink:

LOVE The Commitments...and yes, that was the first thing I thought of.

Lee was on Regis & Kelly this morning. He performed Beautiful Day. Acoustic.

U2 should be grateful to this Lee
he has introduced their music to the under 25 crowd

on the most popular show on TV (Amer. Idol)

most young people don't lister to Classic Rock stations.

musically, the mjb version of one is closer to how it's been played live and is mildly more enjoyable until it gets awfully oversung.

Likely cause it's, you know, U2 actually playing live on it? ;)

and there's nothing hip hop about it, unless you consider having a black woman singing is hip hop.

Oh, yeah, because a black woman is singing it :rolleyes: (But for the record and perhaps unrelated, she is known as the queen of hiphop-soul, fyi)

Check the rhythm section of the songs I listed from AB, One included. The influences are clearly there. Has little if anything to do with the singing or the lyrics.

Bret Michaels name has been coming up as a possible Simon replacement...just a rumour of course

Likely cause it's, you know, U2 actually playing live on it? ;)

Oh, yeah, because a black woman is singing it :rolleyes: (But for the record and perhaps unrelated, she is known as the queen of hiphop-soul, fyi)

Check the rhythm section of the songs I listed from AB, One included. The influences are clearly there. Has little if anything to do with the singing or the lyrics.

oh wow, i didn't know it was u2 performing on that track because i'm completely retarded.

cool thanks, i had no idea who mary j blige is. i just saw black person and thought hip-hop. no, wait. that's not what happened.

and it's still not hip-hop, neither are the other tracks you mentioned. as has been said by more than just me, i can buy into it being closer to r&b.

oh wow, i didn't know it was u2 performing on that track because i'm completely retarded.

cool thanks, i had no idea who mary j blige is. i just saw black person and thought hip-hop. no, wait. that's not what happened.

and it's still not hip-hop, neither are the other tracks you mentioned. as has been said by more than just me, i can buy into it being closer to r&b.

I think you missed my wink ;) I'm pretty sure you knew it was U2, I was being silly.

At any rate I didn't say it WAS hip hop, I said there are influences heard in the rhythm of the tracks. You don't hear them, maybe, I get that. Doesn't mean they aren't there.

I still say Donny Osmond would've been a good choice. Or even go with my mom's pick, Davy Jones. He's got expertise with the music industry, and he's British :D!

I could certainly tolerate Bret Michaels over the rumor of Howard Stern. But it just won't be the same without Simon, I don't think.

Angela

Osmond would be nice, but boring.

There will never be another Simon,

I never was a fan of this show, but at least Michaels has a bit of an edge.

they should bring Paula back with Michaels

that way Michaels could roll his eyes at Paula, being that he is more or a rocker than her
they could play up, that friction thing.

keep Randy

I guess keep Ellen and cut Kara?

Why all the hate for Kara?

I just heard Lee covering a Marilyn Manson song. I don't know that song, but it sounded decent.

From what I saw this season, Kara was the only judge really bringing anything worthwhile to the show.

Get rid of all of them. Scrap the show, start fresh with something similar. Hey, like the show Simon's bringing to the US!

Why all the hate for Kara?

I don't really watch the show.

I don't hate Kara

I do recall the friction with Simon and Paula, (real or not)

seem to spice? up the show

Paula seemed popular, and if they could recreate the friction with Michaels, the show might get its legs back

does Ellen bring anyyhiong to the show?
or is she just watering down her mystic?

(it was a typo, if you check, i do make qiute a few of them)

Back
Top Bottom