American Idol - Season 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blake Lewis's take on last night..

Blake Lewis: Connick 'a cut above' as mentor

Tuesday on American Idol, we were blessed with the songs of Frank Sinatra and the arrangements of Harry Connick Jr., two iconic legends in the jazz world. I knew before the show started this would be one of the most memorable nights. Connick has been one of my favorite artists since I began singing. His arrangements and piano stylings are simply perfect. This is the first mentor I'm jealous the contestants got to meet and have him critique them.

The night started off with Aaron Kelly singing Fly Me to the Moon. This is Sinatra's most legendary song, and Kelly didn't do it justice. The judges were all over him for it. Simon said this: "If Sinatra was a lion, then you would be a mouse." Ouch!

Casey James is not a jazz singer by any means, and his rendition of Blue Skies proved just that. It was hard for me to see him perform, because, last week, he was at his finest. Connick's help wasn't even enough to save Casey. The judges ripped him to pieces after he was done. Kara said he sounded like a lamb when he held out his notes with his vibrato. If Casey sticks to country blues, he will do just fine.

The season's favorite Crystal Bowersox sang Summer Wild, which I thought was an interesting choice for a Sinatra song. The arrangement was beautiful and she looked stunning with her backless dress and full back tattoo of a sunflower. NICE! But, for me, DAWG (spoken in a Randy-like tone), I wasn't feeling it tonight. I thought it was just okay for Crystal. I still think it's going to be her and Michael in the final.

Speaking of Michael Lynche, he gave a great performance of The Way You Look Tonight. He is always on point. Harry's critique was spot on and Michael listened to him closely and hit it home. I really think they should've made this the closing performance of the show.

Lee Dewyze sent us home with That's Life. I was impressed with Connick's arrangement of this tune. His horns, band and piano accompaniment were amazing. Lee did an alright job, but, come on -- they should have had him open the show, not close it. The judges, of course, praised him (my eight friends and I almost got in a fight about that over at my place, and everyone left mad). Had he performed at the top of the show, I think it would have been different. Oh, well. The one thing I will say about Lee's performance is this: It was the first time he actually held out a note longer than two beats and looked like he was having fun. He should be! He is on the greatest stage in America right now. Take it in Lee … it's almost over.

Well, it's safe to say that Connick is a cut above as a mentor, and I'm looking forward to more of him on the results show. Connick and Lady Gaga??? Now that makes for an interesting night on American Idol.

What did you guys think about the show?? I'm curious.

Cheers -- Blake Lewis

Blake Lewis: Connick 'a cut above' as mentor - Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

I didn't think the performance was very good. The sound was off or something, and it just wasn't all that exciting. But, what can you do? The piano Bad Romance at the start was nice.

I havent heard the song she sang. I was expecting Telephone or something.

I didn't think the performance was very good. The sound was off or something, and it just wasn't all that exciting. But, what can you do? The piano Bad Romance at the start was nice.

Yep. It was just off and kind of boring. Not to mention not a very good song to begin with, imo.

I''m glad I was wrong.

Aaron was less popular than I realized.

I really can't see Mike in the F2, he keeps being in the bottom group. My money is on Lee and Crystal now.

I'm voting for Mike next week because I think Lee and Crystal are safe and the cute but incredibly dull Casey should go next. Plus, "This Woman's Work" was one of the best things I've ever heard on AI so I am happy to throw some votes his way. And, I just like the guy.

So these are the songs they got to choose from for tonight's movie theme week, with Jamie Foxx as mentor.

* (Everything I Do) I Do It For You – Bryan Adams
* (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life – Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
* A Whole New World – Brad Kane & Lea Salonga
* Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In – The 5th Dimension
* Arthur’s Theme (Best That You Can Do) – Christopher Cross
* Beauty and the Beast – Celine Dion & Peabo Bryson
* Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
* Can I Have This Dance – Vanessa Hudgens, Zac Efron & the Cast of HS Musical
* Can You Feel the Love Tonight – Elton John & London Community Gospel Choir
* Can’t Fight the Moonlight – LeAnn Rimes
* Danger Zone – Kenny Loggins
* Don’t You Forget About Me – Simple Minds
* Endless Love – Lionel Richie & Diana Ross
* Evergreen – Barbra Streisand
* Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
* Falling Slowly – Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
* Flashdance (What a Feeling) – Irene Cara
* Footloose – Kenny Loggins
* Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio
* Ghostbusters – Ray Parker Jr.
* Gonna Fly Now (Theme From Rocky) – Bill Conti
* Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman – Bryan Adams
* I Believe I Can Fly – R. Kelly
* I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing – Aerosmith
* I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston
* I’m Alright (Theme from Caddyshack) – Kenny Loggins
* Into the West – Howard Shore and Annie Lennox
* Iris – Goo Goo Dolls
* It Might Be You (from Tootsie) – Stephen Bishop
* Jai Ho – A.R. Rahman, Sukhvinder Singh, Tanvi Shah et al
* Jailhouse Rock – Elvis Presley
* Kiss From a Rose – Seal
* Let the Riverrun – Carly Simon
* Live and Let Die – Wings
* Lose Yourself – Eminem
* Moon River (from Moon River) – Audrey Hepburn & Henry Mancini
* Mrs Robinson – Simon & Garfunkle
* My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion
* One Night Only – Jennifer Hudson, Deena Jones & The Dreams
* Over the Rainbow – Judy Garland
* Purple Rain – Prince & the Revolution
* Separate Lives – Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin
* Stayin’ Alive – Bee Gees
* Summertime – Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
* Superfly – Curtis Mayfield
* Take My Breath Away (Love Theme from Top Gun) – Berlin
* Up Where We Belong – Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes
* We Don’t Need Another Hero (Thunderdome) – Tina Turner
* Will You Be There – Michael Jackson
* You’ll Be in My Heart – Glenn Close & Phil Collins

And there will be duets too.
Crystal/Lee and Casey/Michael

Damn. Crystal and Lee's duet was easily the best performance on Idol all season. Really great stuff. Fun to watch.

Here's a rundown & recap of the whole evening :corn:

The Top 4 take on the songs of the cinema, with the help of mentor, Jamie Foxx. In addition to performing solo, the kids will be pairing up for duets: Crystal Bowersox will perform with Lee DeWyze and Casey James will croon with Michael Lynche.

After introducing the judges and the Top 4, Ryan Seacrest runs the Video package, featuring Jamie Foxx, tonight’s mentor. He’s a movie star AND a multi-platinum R&B artist. He’s the perfect mentor! Music is a the soundtrack of our lives, says, Jamie. Lets figure out what we have now, and elevate it.

Jamie is sitting in the audience. He brought the kids t-shirts. Oooh. Are you a contestant or an artist? After they are done singing, he’s going to present them with a t-shirt that will either say “contestant” or “Artist” depending how they do…

Lee DeWyze – “Kiss From A Rose” by Seal – After his mentoring session Jamie gives Lee an artist’s shirt. Lee is playing his acoustic guitar tonight. This is a really hard song to sing. Really easy to lose pitch. Hm. Bandzilla is drowning him out. Don’t think I would have picked this song for Lee. This performance is really underwhelming. It’s time to step it up, contestants! Randy says, “For me, you did nothing with that song, pitchy in spots–choose a rock kind of song, be who you are.” Ellen says, “There could have been more done with the song, but you’re so good, I loved it.” Ellen says, “You had a great week last week, it’s one of the most difficult songs to sing, having the arrangement, you got lost a little lost, but you are still great.” Simon says, “I’m with Randy. There are so many brilliant songs, and so many opportunities to make it your own. That was karaoke, you tried too hard to make it sound like the original. I would give you the contestant shirt.” Lee felt really good about his performance. 1-866-436-5701 – 1-866-436-5705

Michael Lynche – “Will You Be There” by Michael Jackson – He’s sitting with Ryan at the Top. He talks about the pressure of getting into the Top 3. And how, a year ago the Top 3 was his goal. He’s trying to bring it home to his city. Oh. Jamie is giving him the contestant shirt! Cause he didn’t know his words. Michael is on the stairs to begin. He’s got a six-singer choir behind him. Choir is descending the steps. I should be bowled over by this, but for some reason I am not. I think the song is a little too big for Michael. I’m not feeling it. Randy says, “I didn’t love this for you either, I wish you had chosen some R&B song. It didn’t take off.” Ellen makes a “Free Willy joke, and then, “Your goal should be to win. It was a little bit predictable”. Kara namechecks Mike’s memorable performances like “Womans’ Work” and says, “Those were songs where I had goosebumps. I didn’t feel that from you. You played it safe. I know you have more. I want you to go back to those moments.” Simon doesn’t know what Free Willy is. “I think that you could have chosen…at least you gave it 100 percent, and I kind of felt that you meant it….” That was ridiculous. They spent half the time arguing about how the song lyrics have nothing to do with whales. 1-866-436-5702 – 1-866-436-5706

Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze – “Falling Slowly” – Yes. They went there. They’re both playing guitar, facing each other. If you forget Kris Allen and his beautiful rendtion last year, and just take this on it’s own merits. It’s really quite lovely. They’re performance is more energized than Kris’s. Different, not better. I like their interaction–great decision to face each other. They’re voices blend well, dig the counterpoint. Randy says, “What a difference a couple moments. Unbelievable. Amazing. That’s what I’m talking about.” Ellen says, “You’re the new Captain and Tennile! That was great” Kara says, “One of my favorite moments of the entire season, I loved the chemistry the support, you brought out the best in both of you.” Simon says, “I don’t know if I’d call that a good song…I’d call it a fantastic song.” Crystal and Lee says the interaction was a little awkward at first. Crystal told Lee at the Chicago auditions that he was her musical crush.

Casey James – Mrs. Robinson by Simon and Garfunkle – Jamie tells Casey to “seduce him”. Casey says it was an intense moment. Casey gets an artist shirt. He’s playing the mandolin. He totally re-arranged it and it’s AWESOME!!! Wow. Casey pulled it out when he needed it. That was terrific. Randy wants to know why he picked the song. Oh No. Here we go again. MORE KARA JOKES. CRITIQUE HIS VOCALS PLEASE. Randy, not that impressed, finally says, “I thought that you sounded cool on it” Ellen says, “I wish they would have given you a big boy guitar. I liked that you came back and did something different with the song. I liked it.” Kara says, “This is you fighting to stay in the competition. This is difficult for you. It was a good choice.” Oh my god. They aren’t talking about his performance. This is ridiculous. Simon says, “I didn’t think the song or the performance had the substance required for this important night. It was lazy. You could have made more of an impact. I think there have been some really strange song choices, and that was one of them.” It’s official. They are busing Casey. 1-866-436-5703 – 1-866-436-5707

Crystal Bowersox – “I’m Alright” by Kenny Loggins from Caddyshack – Jamie gives Crystal the artist shirt after he tells her to look straight at the audience with her pretty green eyes. Crystal is doing a bluesed up version of a pretty crappy song. She’s improving it, but not sure why she picked it. Oh yeah, most of the songs on the list SUCKED! Vocally she’s pretty awesome. She’s making the song her own, as they say. Lots of bluesy wailing. She’s really letting loose. Randy says, “You are an artist, I loved that you tried to switch it up. Nice job.” Ellen says, “The song just got Crystalized. You took that song, and made it better” Kara says, “You made it better…I agree with Randy–Artist!” Simon says, “After that performance, You are back in the game.” Ha. Crystal’s boyfriend Tony was dancing in the audience. 1-866-436-5704 – 1-866-436-5708

Back
Top Bottom