American Idol - Season 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm curious, how long have you been watching this show? Because that happens every week. It's a huge part of the show and what's made it successful...the judges often tell the performers how bad they were, in detail. It's just not nothing new.

Oh, I'm familiar with the show. I watched maybe the first four or five seasons and then stopped for awhile. I know this what they do and I don't have a problem with it. I was just commenting on how particularly awful this group is, especially last night. And the judges critiques were especially scathing. It's not that the criticism was harsh that I found painful to watch, but more that the harsh criticism was right on target. Every season, at least of the ones I watched didn't have this many terrible contestants. I mean, really, there's just a handful that really belong on that stage. The rest. . .it's just an embarrassment.

Spoiler time!
Siobhan Magnus – “Through The Fire”

Casey James – “Hold On I’m Coming”

Mike Lynche – “Ready for Love”

Didi Benami – What Becomes of a Broken Heart

Tim Urban – “Sweet Love”

Andrew Garcia – “Forever”

Katie Stevens – “Chain of Fools” by Aretha Franklin

Lee Dewyze – “Treat Her Like A Lady”

Crystal Bowersox – “Midnight Train to Georgia”

Aaron Kelly – “Ain’t No Sunshine”

I'll have to watch it later this evening, as I'll be out when this airs live.

Crystal's is probably the only one I'm looking forward to seeing, as hers is the one song I really like (or am not totally sick of, from that list), and I know she won't massacre it.

Well, that didn't want me to gouge my ears out. So that's already an improvement over last week where I couldn't even finish watching.

Crystal is well Crystal. She's perfection and I loved those shoes.

Loved Lee. He showed personality and soul. Really, really good.

Also really liked Andrew and Big Mike. Easily their best performances of the finals.

Siobhan had a rough night. I really wish she'd stop with the screaming.

Others weren't awful but unremarkable. Didn't watch Aaron when I found out what he was singing.

Pretty much agree with everything Trojanckik just said.

Lee and Andrew surprised me, I'd been down on them lately but both were pretty good. Andrew was great, actually.

Tim was pretty awful, though.

Pretty much agree with you guys there. I did like Casey's choice of song - think he did well. Looks like it could be Didi in the bottom, along with Tim. I just don't get it. His eyes are always popping out of his head :crack:

Based on the end-of-show recap alone, it sounded like Crystal was amazing (although was she as awkward as she seemed in that dress and heels? Poor thing), Lee was good ... and those were the only two that caught my attention.

Was Andrew singing that Chris Brown song? Is it just me, or am I the only one horrified that someone would sing a Chris Brown song without thinking about the implications of that?

Or have most people forgotten that he's an abusive shithead who went on a bunch of apology appearances without actually apologizing?

I didn't like Andrew anymore anyway, but now I hope he gets voted out because I'm still one of the appalled people.

I found the info online.

Eh, there are just so many sub-par singers, I can't bring myself to get annoyed that it was Didi this week.

I don't know, that whole hour left me bemused. Usher, Will I.AM., Diddy, Tim sticking around, etc.

Tim being in the Top 9 must speak volumes about this season being as bad as everyone is telling me it is in comparison to season's past.

That being said, every single part Idol contestant that's performed this season has underwhelmed me so I don't know.

I more or less keep watching to listen to Crystal. I cannot see myself watching next season. But, hey, at least I finally watched.

If it was Duffy/Adele chick going or Tim it doesn't matter, all the same. As long as Crystal is in it's all good.

Diddy Dirty Money.....is this joker for real, haha. Plus he was lip-synching at a singing competition.

This is funny:

AI9PreTop9TimBanner.jpg

And I read that next week's theme is songs from the Lennon/McCartney songbook. Did THE 'CREST! actually confirm that last night? I fast-forwarded through a bunch of shit.

That cartoon of Tim is pretty great.

I can say with certainty that for me personally, as one who's watched from the beginning, this is by far the worst season. I'm partly losing interest anyway, but I think if I liked more of the singers, I'd make more of an effort to watch, rather than just DVR-ing it and then deleting unwatched.

^I agree. I didn't watch Season 1, but I've been a huge fan from Season 2 on. Speaking of Season 2, Ruben looked great last night. I've always loved his voice and personality, and I'm glad he's taking care of his health. He put most of this season's contestants to shame last night. Season 7, and most definitely Season 8 were by far the best talent-wise. We got really spoiled 2 years in a row with a lot of really talented and one insanely talented artist(s). This season sucks, frankly. Everybody seems to be phoning it in. If it wasn't for Crystal, I wouldn't bother to pay attention to any of it.

I agree with all of you. Worst. Season. Ever.

And last night before the show, this was the prediction posted on Mjsbigblog site. I lol'd.

So yeah, I’m going with Tim, who I’m beginning to think escaped from a Zombie cult in order to audition for American Idol. His bizarre song choices, inappropriate reactions, and crazy death stares can’t be pleasing too many folks beyond the Vote for the Worst trainwreck-lovers, and the tween-set who think his crazy-eyes are dreamy.

Tim is like a demented Robby Benson. And, if you get THAT reference, you are old like me…

This is the "worst" season, I suppose, but that term is relative and I'm still enjoying it. I don't know, I still get a kick out of the whole thing...Seacrest, the judges, the campiness and hamminess. And I like Siobhan a hell of a lot. She's such an endearing goofball, to me.

I'm actually probably more fond of this season already than I was of season 6. I wasn't paying very close attention that year. I like that Jordin won, but I wasn't a huge fan of hers, and I really can't remember anybody else that was on that season other than Blake. Sanjaya was there, meh, and Haley had nice legs, and that's about it. Oh yeah, and Antonella Barba (god damn!) was in the Top 24, but didn't make the finals. She was a babe.

The last two seasons were more fun than this one, definitely. And, of course, the year Carrie won was amazing. And season 5 had a lot of memorable peeps, for better or worse - Pickler, Daughtry, Elliott, Mandisa, Bucky, etc.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I still love the show. I'm loyal, and easy to please.

Yeah, I guess that's the big difference for me - it's not fun for me anymore, not even the mocking. :ohmy:

Ah, Blake Lewis. I looooooove his debut album - it's surprisingly good pop music. His latest isn't so bad, but not nearly as good as the debut.

I don't even remember if the guy was a good singer, I just remember that beatbox shit he would do.

He wasn't a great singer, but he wasn't bad, either. Thankfully, there's a not a ton of the beat-boxing on the album - it's more incidental and not really a big part of the songs.

The stuff you hear at the beginning of this song is probably the most that's in the songs themselves, not counting the dumb little interludes on the album.

This is one of my favorite pop songs of the past bunch of years. Great chorus.

YouTube - Blake Lewis - How Many Words

Back
Top Bottom