Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #421
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 AM
and now this

Quote:
Fox says DeGeneres is new 'American Idol' judge

By DERRIK J. LANG, Entertainment Writer 9 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Ellen DeGeneres is dancing her way into the fourth judge's seat on "American Idol."

Fox announced Wednesday the talk show host and comedian, who admittedly has no formal music experience, just a passion for tunes, would join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi for the ninth season. The announcement all but seals the departure of Paula Abdul, the original third judge who announced she was quitting amid a contract dispute in July.

The announcement came as a shock to many of the popular singing competition's fans, who did not expect the Emmy-winning talk show host to fill Abdul's spot. DeGeneres told her talk show audience in an episode scheduled to air Thursday that she had been "dying to tell everyone" and would not abandon her chatfest. Instead, she will have "a day job and a night job."

"The times we're living in," she quipped, "we're all doing that."

Abdul had been replaced by a succession of guest judges across the country as "Idol" started next season's auditions. Among them: Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Kristin Chenoweth, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry and Shania Twain — but not the 51-year-old DeGeneres, who will join the ninth season following the show's tryout rounds.

"Hopefully, I'm the people's point of view because I'm just like you," DeGeneres said on her talk show. "I sit at home and I watch it, and I don't have that technical ... I'm not looking at it in a critical way from the producer's mind. I'm looking at it as a person who is going to buy the music and is going to relate to that person."

Old 09-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:46 AM
I don't even know what to say to that.

On paper, it's a trainwreck. And seems like a bad joke. But I guess we'll wait and see how it works out.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #423
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Yes that's odd. I don't watch the show but a column I just read thought she was "shockingly bad" as a judge on So You Think You Can Dance.

I guess they just want to take advantage of her popularity
Old 09-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #424
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:46 AM
I personally am thrilled about Ellen being on AI. I wasn't going to watch next season, but now I am. I think she will bring a fan's perspective to the judge's panel.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 AM
IMO, this is probably the best thing that the producers could have ever done for this show.

I think Ellen's sense of humor is great. Looking forward to her being there.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #426
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Don't get me wrong...I love Ellen..I think she is great..love her sense of humor...but , to take a singing competition seriously, I believe, someone in the industtry should be a judge. These singers want input on how to get into the business, constructive criticism..serious input...Paula was goofy, but she was a positive influence....they don't want comic relief while they are putting themselves out there...I just think it is a wierd choice
Old 09-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #427
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming june View Post
I personally am thrilled about Ellen being on AI. I wasn't going to watch next season, but now I am. I think she will bring a fan's perspective to the judge's panel.

the fans already control who stays and who goes

Judging should be done by a person with qualifications to be a judge in the field.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #428
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddysgonnapay View Post
Don't get me wrong...I love Ellen..I think she is great..love her sense of humor...but , to take a singing competition seriously, I believe, someone in the industtry should be a judge. These singers want input on how to get into the business, constructive criticism..serious input...Paula was goofy, but she was a positive influence....they don't want comic relief while they are putting themselves out there...I just think it is a wierd choice
I think petite blonds with fine features will do well this season

Old 09-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #429
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddysgonnapay View Post
Honestly, was Paula good for much more than comic relief?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #430
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
the fans already control who stays and who goes

Judging should be done by a person with qualifications to be a judge in the field.
I would agree with you on this IF the other judges ever used their knowledge of the music industry in a significant way while judging the contestants, but they rarely ever do, so I don't see the big deal about Ellen being there now. Also, I gathered from her interview with Seacrest that she seems to be taking this very seriously. I think she'll do fine.

Tags
american idol