American Idol - Season 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know. I don't think she'll win either, but she's pretty good, and like I said in my tl;dr post...she's unique. And a lot of people that watch American Idol love country music.

She could get pretty far.

The way the judges are talking right now, and the way it looks, it could easily be a Hollie vs. Jessica showdown in the final, though.

I almost think they do it on purpose at this point. Nigel loves his "drama" and they need the ratings.

Jessica Sanchez has pipes. Damn. And, yes Philip Phillips has a Dave Matthews thing going, but it's still better than the rest of the snoozefest that are the guys on this show. Colton could be intersting, but first I'd need to shave his head. That damn skunk strip is awful.

I almost think they do it on purpose at this point. Nigel loves his "drama" and they need the ratings.

True. Rather pathetic if that's the case, though-think of all the people who could be there instead who don't have criminal backgrounds and are good singers. Ah, well.

My question for tonight: why, of all the songs these people could choose from their birth years, are so many of them doing remakes of songs that originally came out years ago? Yeah, the remakes came out in their birth years, but still...there's tons of original music that also came out in those years, too.

I like her, too :). I think she's my favorite of the girls. Jessica's good, too.

Have to agree with Randy on Heejun. Vocally, not the best performance, no, but he did have fun with it. And I'm generally more favorable on the girls than I am the guys this season, but if I HAD to pick, Philip's probably the best of the guys-at least he tries to change things up a bit with the song choices every now and again.

It really strikes me weird when I hear the judges say they don't know certain songs-Steven said that with one of the Billy Joel songs tonight, and they've said it before about other ones on the show. I'm younger than them and I know these songs.

Also, Billy Joel's made some great music, he really has.

I like Heejun's attitude...the fact that he can poke fun at the ridiculousness of this show he's on...but he's just not a good enough singer.

Yeah, I agree, I like me a few Billy Joel tunes. He's not somebody that I listen to regularly on my own, but I had a friend in high school who played his albums a lot in the car and I got to know the stuff pretty well.

Elise was really good tonight...probably the best so far...but I'm still not a big fan.

Ugh, and here comes Jessica with her overblown bullshit. I really don't like this chick, and she's probably gonna win the entire competition. Fuck.

I hate it. :shrug:

erika-van-pelt-639-032212-1332426269.jpg

Elise was really good tonight...probably the best so far...but I'm still not a big fan.

Jimmy said he didn't understand why she was in the bottom 3 last week when she gave such a killer performance. I can tell him. I think it's because a lot of viewers are seeing what I'm seeing: a bad attitude. She's got a great attitude when she performs well and gets good feedback. But she cannot take criticism and she is also not generous with the other performers. She's the kind who gets voted off and then tells the camera what a mistake they've made, how she's going to show them, etc., instead of being grateful for the experience and losing graciously. She's a good singer (though I find that type tiresome) but I hope she goes home soon.

I think Erika is my favorite right now just because she's mature, has a great voice, goes against type, and is kind of an underdog. I think she needed a makeover but I'm not completely crazy about the new look which was a bit too dramatic. I see her as classy, not Pink-ish.

Philip is proving to be interesting, too. Kind of hate the Dave Matthews schtick but I like him as a person.

I don't really hear the Dave Matthews thing all that much that everyone's talking about-I get it a little, but I don't think it's THAT obvious a comparison.

But yeah, he's one of the more memorable guys this season. I also agree with you, Sicy, I like the original look better.

joyfulgirl is right, too-some contestants over the years have gotten to arguing directly with the judges and getting all high and mighty and cocky and it really turns me off when they do that. Sure, the judges can be wrong, definitely, and yeah, it's really confusing when the judges say that they need to change things up a bit, but then when the contestants do just that, the judges complain that they're "losing who they are" by going outside their comfort zone or musical style. So I fully understand contestants being a little irritated sometimes and all that, and I've no problem with them discussing some critiques of themselves with the judges-how else will you learn, right?

But for christ's sake, you've got TV reality show level fame right now. You're not a top selling star yet. There's ways to bring up disagreement with judges on something without acting like a snotty, unappreciative, "I-know-more-than-you" brat.

Seacrest with a Hunger Games reference at the top of the show! Ha!

Hollie looks hawt tonight. Let's go.

Skylar doing Miranda Lambert is just about perfect. That's totally who she's trying to be. Great song choice. One of Miranda's best.

(Unfortunately, she's still a level or two below Miranda...)

Fuck that. I'm sick of these fucking judges.

She just fucking blew that shit out of the water. They give a standing ovation to Heejun, but they criticize Hollie? Did they not hear what she did with the last 20 seconds of that song? She sang that final chorus with as much strength and emotion as Carrie ever has. And trust me, I know.

Whatever.

I might start muting this show whenever the judges come on to do their "job."

I've been watching this show for 11 years (yes, I'm fully aware of how sad that is), so why am I still getting angry when the judges show their stupidity? They've always been stupid.

Good lord. I'm done for the night. Sorry.

Hehe, good night for you, huh :D?

She DID look quite lovely, yes. And I thought she did a nice enough job on the song.

Some very...unusual song choices tonight! One thing I'd like to request: Can Joshua Ledet please stop shrieking at me? Yes, he's got a good voice, but there's powerful and dramatic type of loud, and then there's just shrieking. And he often seems to do the latter.

Also, it still is really weird to hear people do a Led Zeppelin song on "Idol".

West Coast here. So far so good. I loved the Fleetwood Mac/ Stevie Nicks medley. Colton should have picked a better song. I loved Skyler's song. It was a perfect choice for her. Deandre picked a perfect song.vJessica sounds great on this Beyonce song.

Wow. loved Philip squared. And Jimmy Iovine is right, he looks a bit like Lindsey Buckinham, without the fro.

And now some Zeppelin. I loved her take.

I thought Colton's performance was all right. Not "wow" but nice.

I did like Elise doing "Whole Lotta Love", yeah. And I liked Jessica's take on "Sweet Dreams", too.

I've been watching this show for 11 years (yes, I'm fully aware of how sad that is), so why am I still getting angry when the judges show their stupidity? They've always been stupid.

Good lord. I'm done for the night. Sorry.

Missed your rants on this earlier. I have to say I agree with you on the judges. Yeah, I know, it's 11 seasons in and we should be used to that, but seriously, some nights I do think they aren't hearing the same things I'm hearing, and some nights I just really want someone to get a good criticism.

Fuck that. I'm sick of these fucking judges.

She just fucking blew that shit out of the water. They give a standing ovation to Heejun, but they criticize Hollie? Did they not hear what she did with the last 20 seconds of that song? She sang that final chorus with as much strength and emotion as Carrie ever has. And trust me, I know.

Whatever.

I might start muting this show whenever the judges come on to do their "job."

I don't know, GAF, I agreed with Randy that her vocals in the lower range were funky, and I agreed with Jimmy that her performance showed her lack of experience. She did blow the last verse out the water, I agree. She is hugely talented but she's no Carrie Underwood, though she could become one in a few years. I just don't think she's ready.

And I thought Heejun was stunning. I was literally gasping outloud during the performance. I love that song and I love his voice. I knew he'd go anyway, but he went out on a high note.

Everybody was so good this week. They picked the right songs, they sang them amazingly, it was one of the best shows I've seen.

That said, I don't particularly care for Colton's voice. To me he screams and screeches though not as much this week as last.

Elise was great. But I still can't stand her. That comment she made in the mansion "Why does Deanndre get the biggest room?" says it all. She said it like she was actually jealous, not like poking fun at him in a good-natured way. I think she literally thinks she is the best and most deserving of the biggest room.

Annoyed to see Deandre still in the race. He's just another example of a pretty-boy winning out against some real talent, like Erica Van Pelt. I think the AI voters are all teenage girls and vote accordingly. They should raise the age of callers (if they could) to 18. Maybe then the results wouldn't be so skewed.

Yet I keep watching, *sigh*.

Should I start watching (while fast-forwarding through the judges' crap)? I caught a minute or so of Jessica, and she knocked my socks off.

Yeah, watch the performances from Wednesday. Pretty great, all of them.

Back
Top Bottom