American Idol - Season 10: New judges. Same amount of awesome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
all-judges-670x241.jpg

Randy Jackson. Steven Tyler. THE CREST! J-Lo. Jimmy Iovine.

Premieres one week from tonight. 8/7 central, on Fox.

It's gonna be the best season ever. I can feel it. New life has been breathed into our favorite show. The new judges panel has great chemistry with eachother. Seacrest is looking better than ever. And, of course, the singing. As long as there is a United States of America, there will be a delicious cocktail of talented musicians and batshit crazy people who think they're good singers. Once again, we begin the journey toward finding the (most likely disappointing) next American Idol, and along the way we get to share in our communal love of music, laughter, love, hope, joy, cheesiness, second-hand embarrassment, and Ryan Seacrest.

Let's go.

Ahh you're so positive. Really not going to be the same without Simon.

It's either gonna be an amazing comeback for the series, or a complete disaster, ratings wise. Of course I'll watch the auditions, but I'll probably go cold turkey when Hollywood week starts. After Lee won over Crystal last year it was the final straw. :shrug:

I dunno ... part of me wants to stand firm in my decision to drop the show from my line-up, after fast-forwarding through most of the episodes last season before dropping it completely.

But part of me still wants to check it out. I might watch a few of the audition episodes. I don't like Steven Tyler or J-Lo though, so .....

I'll definitely watch out of sheer curiosity. It may well not be the trainwreck I'm expecting it to be. But I'm not exactly holding my breath. If nothing else, at least it'll provide some potentially unintentional hilarity.

I feel kind of bad for poor Randy, being the lone original judge left. He's probably thinking, "Did I say 'dawg' one time too many or something, what's the deal?"

Angela

not a fan of J-Lo, but am quite curious how the season is going to play out.... it's like what juliaguliaxo94 said, it could be a comeback for the series or a disaster. think the show ran it's course all together, but... yeah.... i'll still be tuning in to see how it all plays out.

Why is there all this talk about Simin leaving the show when all he's done is decided to become more involved behind screen when AI changes its name to the X Factor next year? Why the big song and dance? Why does everyone keep talking about it as though it's a different show?

When I first heard that Simon was bringing the X Factor to the US I thought that it was already in the US. American Idol is the US version of the X Factor. They've had Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson and David Cook on the American version of The X Factor which is called American Idol. Pop Idol is the same program of X Factor but in 2004 it changed its name to the X Factor. You don't want 2 shows that exactly the same on twice a year with different tittles do you?

Opral Fruits and Starbursts (same sweets, different name)
Oil of Ulay and Oil of Olay (same facial cream, different name)
Jiff and Ciff (same cleaning product, different name)
Marks & Sparks and Marks & Spensor's (same shop, different name)
Marathan and Snickers (same chocolate bar, different name)
Emmerdale Farm and Emmerdale (same TV program, shortened name)
American Idol and The X Factor (same karaoke show, different name)

Where did you hear that AI (here in the US not elsewhere) is going to change their name to X factor.. You have a source or link of some kind? I have been following AI from the beginning and had not seen anything regarding this for the US verison. I highly doubt we would have X factor and AI here in the US at the same time. Networks are not gonna do that..

Why is there all this talk about Simin leaving the show when all he's done is decided to become more involved behind screen when AI changes its name to the X Factor next year? Why the big song and dance? Why does everyone keep talking about it as though it's a different show?

When I first heard that Simon was bringing the X Factor to the US I thought that it was already in the US. American Idol is the US version of the X Factor. They've had Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson and David Cook on the American version of The X Factor which is called American Idol. Pop Idol is the same program of X Factor but in 2004 it changed its name to the X Factor. You don't want 2 shows that exactly the same on twice a year with different tittles do you?

Wha...what?

They are two different shows. AI is not changing its name to X Factor. They are two different entities. Idol isn't going anywhere, it's just Cowell wanted to bring X Factor over to the States.

There will be many differences. They're not the exact same show. Very similar, yes. They'll both be on Fox, and they'll both feature singers being judged in a competition form.

But X Factor is a different beast. X Factor will air in the Fall, whereas Idol airs starting in January through to the Spring. There will be a completely different judges panel, and the judges roles are very different. They are assigned categories, and get to personally mentor the contestants. None of that happens on Idol. There are less strict age restrictions on X Factor. On X Factor, groups of more than one singer can compete, whereas Idol is strictly a solo performer going for a contract.

On Idol, the initial "audition" performances that we see are traditionally held in a sequestered room with just the singer and the judges. On X Factor, the auditions will be held in front of a large audience. And that is just some of the changes.

I get the feeling that you know all of this already, though. So why are you bringing it up? They are not exactly the same.

Why do we have multiple versions of cooking competition shows? Or "win the heart of this handsome bachelor or bachelorette" shows? Why do we have multiple "let's put a bunch of rambunctious young strangers in the same house and see what kind of shit they can stir up" shows?

Money, for the most part. And entertainment.

I'm personally looking forward to having both shows on U.S. airwaves. Especially if Chezza joins Simon on the X Factor judges panel. Good god.

Wha...what?

They are two different shows. AI is not changing its name to X Factor. They are two different entities. Idol isn't going anywhere, it's just Cowell wanted to bring X Factor over to the States.

There will be many differences. They're not the exact same show. Very similar, yes. They'll both be on Fox, and they'll both feature singers being judged in a competition form.

But X Factor is a different beast. X Factor will air in the Fall, whereas Idol airs starting in January through to the Spring. There will be a completely different judges panel, and the judges roles are very different. They are assigned categories, and get to personally mentor the contestants. None of that happens on Idol. There are less strict age restrictions on X Factor. On X Factor, groups of more than one singer can compete, whereas Idol is strictly a solo performer going for a contract.

On Idol, the initial "audition" performances that we see are traditionally held in a sequestered room with just the singer and the judges. On X Factor, the auditions will be held in front of a large audience. And that is just some of the changes.

I get the feeling that you know all of this already, though. So why are you bringing it up? They are not exactly the same.

Why do we have multiple versions of cooking competition shows? Or "win the heart of this handsome bachelor or bachelorette" shows? Why do we have multiple "let's put a bunch of rambunctious young strangers in the same house and see what kind of shit they can stir up" shows?

Money, for the most part. And entertainment.

I'm personally looking forward to having both shows on U.S. airwaves. Especially if Chezza joins Simon on the X Factor judges panel. Good god.

Yes I know exactly about the X Factor. Don't forget, I am British. However, I still think it's very pretentious to call for Simon to make out it's completely different. Do you get teh UK X Factor in the US? I feel fro the subtle difference between the 2 shows AI is better because it's more about the music. The X Factor has annoying styling and voice over.

well... color me wrong.. I stand corrected and must be a crap AI fan.. :D I can see the shows on at different parts of the year.. It will be interesting!.. Must do a better job of keeping up with the latest..

thanks GAF!:up:

Yes I know exactly about the X Factor. Don't forget, I am British. However, I still think it's very pretentious to call for Simon to make out it's completely different. Do you get teh UK X Factor in the US? I feel fro the subtle difference between the 2 shows AI is better because it's more about the music. The X Factor has annoying styling and voice over.

They don't air the UK X Factor in the US, no, but I've seen a ton of it, on YouTube and other sites, because I have to keep up with what Cheryl's doing. Especially her first year on the show, I watched practically that entire season via YouTube.

But, the point is, if you knew about the many differences between the shows, why did you come in here raising a fuss about how they are the exact same thing? Were you just bored? I guess it doesn't really matter.

I hope you're doing ok, Annie.

They don't air the UK X Factor in the US, no, but I've seen a ton of it, on YouTube and other sites, because I have to keep up with what Cheryl's doing. Especially her first year on the show, I watched practically that entire season via YouTube.

But, the point is, if you knew about the many differences between the shows, why did you come in here raising a fuss about how they are the exact same thing? Were you just bored? I guess it doesn't really matter.

I hope you're doing ok, Annie.

Aww, thank you GAF. :hug: I've always been fond of you.

I really don't think that there are a lot of differences between the 2 shows, however. Other than the fact Americans do everything bigger and better than the Brits because they've got more money to spend.

BTW, I have a theory that there was a bit of trouble between Cheryl and one of the contestants from last year's X Factor. One week she had a few stern words for Wagner over something he supposidly said about her in a magazine. Now you can't moan that the press tell a lot of lies about your personal life like she does and the next minute having a go at someone over what they said about you in the press. I thought it was all lies? Therefore, I reckon there was something going on.

Yeah, I see where you were coming from now. You are aware that there are differences, but you still think they are fundamentally the same thing. And I totally get that. Like I said, they are definitely similar. It was just a bit confusing the way you worded your original post. My bad for getting all righteous and indignant. I tend to do that.

I didn't follow this most recent season of X Factor all that closely, and I don't know anything about the incident you're referring to. But in passing I did see that some fans of the show were very upset at Cheryl for eliminating a contestant that they felt was worthy of staying? I even heard there were death threats and foolish things like that. That's bullshit, and makes me sad. Cheryl's had some rough times, but deep down she's a total sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly.

I also watched a few performances by Cher Lloyd, who was Cheryl's "protege" or whatever. I thought she was a unique and charismatic performer. Too bad she didn't win.

I like Jennifer too. I do not see any "diva" behavior at all. :up:

No (I've never thought she was a diva. She's always seemed like she'd be a fairly nice person to meet to me) :). I liked when she gave the girl who was crying a hug.

That was strange, though, one minute she's all nervous and crying, the next she's popping her shirt open and all that. Ah, well. Not too bad a voice, though, so...

Angela

Back
Top Bottom