Achmed, the Terrorist.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading this is more entertaining than anything Dunham's ever done. I chuckled at bits of the video, because I found the eyes/voice combination to be funny at certain points, but it's definitely nothing to rave about.

Plus, I think when you're at a club or any venue and you go to see a comedian and you get drawn it at any point, it's easier for him to sell you on weaker material... so it would make sense for people to at least laugh in person. YouTube-wise: I wouldn't doubt it either... honkies think "Chocolate Rain" was funny, too.

Judging by the amount of people in the audience laughing along, I'd say you're incorrect.

And I certainly don't think comedians have a responsibility to not create negative emotions. George Carlin certainly didn't spare anyone's feelings in his routines (and thank God for that). Neither did Bill Hicks, or Richard Pryor, or, etc, ad nauseum - NOT that I think this guy even begins to compare to them. Doubtlessly there were some, if not many, who took offense to certain things they said.

Should a comic's goal be to not offend anyone?

Comedy isn't here for negative emotions. Sure things will be said that might offend someone a little but to leave or come away angry, sad or incredibly offended is the opposite of laughter and comedy. That's my basic point, a comedian is there to make someone feel something positive through laughter. That's the point of comedy, isn't it?

Man makes stupid puppet jokes --> People laugh at it.

Someone is being made happy in this video. I think most of us here are in agreement that he's hardly a great comedic talent, but you can't just dismiss him the way you're doing when contrary evidence is right in the same damn video.

Man makes stupid puppet jokes --> People laugh at it.

Someone is being made happy in this video. I think most of us here are in agreement that he's hardly a great comedic talent, but you can't just dismiss him the way you're doing when contrary evidence is right in the same damn video.

I guess we have a different definition of what comedy is, which is fine.

One of the most prevalent facets of comedy is satire, which can be defined as "irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity." There's hardly anything positive about that, especially if you're the butt of the joke. At its best, comedy is often constructive and a valuable release for hidden frustrations, but the intention is not always (nor should it be) inherently upbeat or positive.

Comedy isn't here for negative emotions. Sure things will be said that might offend someone a little but to leave or come away angry, sad or incredibly offended is the opposite of laughter and comedy. That's my basic point, a comedian is there to make someone feel something positive through laughter. That's the point of comedy, isn't it?

Did you completely ignore my part about George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, etc? Your definition of comedy is too narrow. Above all comedy should be funny. There is nothing in its definition that confines it to positive emotions only.

Or, what LemonMelon said.

One of the most prevalent facets of comedy is satire, which can be defined as "irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity." There's hardly anything positive about that, especially if you're the butt of the joke. At its best, comedy is often constructive and a valuable release for hidden frustrations, but the intention is not always (nor should it be) inherently upbeat or positive.

I believe that the essence of comedy is laughter and laughter is a very positive thing. It shouldn't leave someone really hurt or angry. When it does, it isn't comedy in my opinion. It becomes being hurtful. Yes irony, sarcasm and wit can be very funny but can also be used to be very hurtful. It doesn't have to be upbeat but if it really hurts someone, it isn't comedy in my opinion.

I believe that the essence of comedy is laughter and laughter is a very positive thing. It shouldn't leave someone really hurt or angry. When it does, it isn't comedy in my opinion. It becomes being hurtful. Yes irony, sarcasm and wit can be very funny but can also be used to be very hurtful. It doesn't have to be upbeat but if it really hurts someone, it isn't comedy in my opinion.

So I take it that you don't find The Cycle Of _______ jokes to be very funny? :wink:

Did you completely ignore my part about George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, etc? Your definition of comedy is too narrow. Above all comedy should be funny. There is nothing in its definition that confines it to positive emotions only.

See, I disagree with the last thing you said. I think comedy MUST create positive emotions because it's purpose is to create laughter. When people come away with the opposite feeling such as hurt or anger, it isn't comedy. I don't know enough about Carlin, Hicks or Pryor to get into specifics with them.

See, I disagree with the last thing you said. I think comedy MUST create positive emotions because it's purpose is to create laughter. When people come away with the opposite feeling such as hurt or anger, it isn't comedy. I don't know enough about Carlin, Hicks or Pryor to get into specifics with them.

I'm not entirely surprised that you're not very familiar with them.

As to your point that comedy MUST creat positive emotions - the laughter itself is the positive emotion. However the laughter is not necessarily the point of the joke, or the larger point the comedian is trying to make. You should look up some Bill Hicks on YouTube to see what I'm getting at. You can be funny and make people laugh while offering up some pretty scathing commentary on people and/or society, and you can make people laugh while causing others to take considerable offense to what you're saying. It all depends on the audience, the material, and the skill of the comedian.

Last edited:
Rant In E-Minor is a fantastic comedy record, Screw. Check that out.

Of course, since "offensive comedy" is an oxymoron, it's more like a guy talking for 70 minutes, trying to be as far from humorous as humanly possible. He absolutely succeeds.

So you're saying you don't like comedy that hurts people.

Comedy is such a blanket term. Personally, I'm a fan of observational humor, satire, physical comedy, high-brow, low-brow, whatever can make me laugh. If it's clever, it wins. It's a way to subvert any type of ridiculous or tense situation to draw a positive response from yourself or others... but not always the butt of that joke.

To me, comedy works the same way as drama in that you need to reach a catharsis, through laughter or relaxation or something. I think you can find things that are funny without laughing at loud at them, as long as it hits you emotionally on some level.

I'm not entirely surprised that you're not very familiar with them.

As to your point that comedy MUST creat positive emotions - the laughter itself is the positive emotion. However the laughter is not necessarily the point of the joke, or the larger point the comedian is trying to make. You should look up some Bill Hicks on YouTube to see what I'm getting at. You can be funny and make people laugh while offering up some pretty scathing commentary on people and/or society, and you can make people laugh while causing others to take considerable offense at what you're saying. It all depends on the audience, the material, and the skill of the comedian.

Definitely. Above all, you need some type of wit to fully appreciate these guys.

They're like the Scott Walkers of Comedy.

Rant In E-Minor is a fantastic comedy record, Screw. Check that out.

Of course, since "offensive comedy" is an oxymoron, it's more like a guy talking for 70 minutes, trying to be as far from humorous as humanly possible. He absolutely succeeds.
two guys walk into a bar, now that's not to say it was two males. it could've been a male and a female, or two females, or maybe even two animals. that's not to say humans are not animals. or even that it has to be a bar, i'm certainly not implying they're alcoholics, they could walk into a grocery store or a...

two guys walk into a bar, now that's not to say it was two males. it could've been a male and a female, or two females, or maybe even two animals. that's not to say humans are not animals. or even that it has to be a bar, i'm certainly not implying they're alcoholics, they could walk into a grocery store or a...

I was over in Australia during Easter, which was interesting. Interesting to note that they celebrate Easter the same way we do; commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus by telling our children a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night. Now, I wonder why we're fucked up as a race. Anybody?

I was over in Australia during Easter, which was interesting. Interesting to note that they celebrate Easter the same way we do; commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus by telling our children a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night. Now, I wonder why we're fucked up as a race. Anybody?
oooh!! oohh!!!! :wave: pick me!!

YouTube - Eddie Izzard - Easter and Christmas

I love how every now and again someone posts in here saying "this is hilarious, get a sense of humour!!!1"

Whether you think this video is wrong or if you just don't care about it, finding it funny is a whole other issue :lol: :|

Executive transvestites :up:

As for Achmed the Terrorist, I don't find it particularly funny especially now that they've made it into a downloadable ringtone and you see if during every commercial break. :angry:

I don't think it's offensive but I sometimes have a very dark sense and I'll joke about anything, though there's a time and a place for everything. I'm pretty sure a comedy show is such a place so I don't see the problem.

The only thing I find particularly offensive about it is that it's horrible comedy. The subject matter isn't the problem.

I love how every now and again someone posts in here saying "this is hilarious, get a sense of humour!!!1"

Whether you think this video is wrong or if you just don't care about it, finding it funny is a whole other issue :lol: :|

Well to be fair he probably has other stuff that is actually funny.

As for Achmed the Terrorist, I don't find it particularly funny especially now that they've made it into a downloadable ringtone and you see if during every commercial break. :angry:

This is what pisses me off too. My only problem with the entire act is, like most others here, it's just not funny, not the subject matter. Like LemonMac I chuckled at bits because of the costume, but that's it.

As for the whole "positive" comedy thing, a huge amount of good comedy is satirical and paying out on someone else.

I don't think it's offensive but I sometimes have a very dark sense and I'll joke about anything, though there's a time and a place for everything. I'm pretty sure a comedy show is such a place so I don't see the problem.

:up:

I chuckled at a few parts, but I certainly didn't find it offensive - I can see how some people do, but really, is this any worse than the 1000s of other comedians who take advantage of stereotypes to make jokes. Really, is it?
I don't think so.

And during an informal poll with my friends, while none found it particularily funny, none were offended. In fact, one told me his arab friends find Achmed hilarious. And another, who is Sikh (and hence could be sensitive about the turban) had no issue either.

Cue me shrugging.

Can I just say right now, that I do NOT agree with the whole 'comedy should be positive' thing. I just think that when it's resorting to crappy racist or xenophobic slurs then it's not particularly funny.

:up:

I chuckled at a few parts, but I certainly didn't find it offensive - I can see how some people do, but really, is this any worse than the 1000s of other comedians who take advantage of stereotypes to make jokes. Really, is it?
I don't think so.

And during an informal poll with my friends, while none found it particularily funny, none were offended. In fact, one told me his arab friends find Achmed hilarious. And another, who is Sikh (and hence could be sensitive about the turban) had no issue either.

Cue me shrugging.

But then I have a Islamic friend who did find this offensive :shrug:

Like I said, I see how some would take offense, and I'm sensitive to that. But that doesn't mean I will necessarily condemn it. The thing is, much like different people find different things funny, different people have differing views on what is offensive.

Some people find imitating an accent offensive- others find any sort of religious joke or ones about patriotism offensive. Some find swearing extremely offensive. Should comedians not touch these topics at all then?

Russel Peters pokes fun at numerous races, stereotypes and cultures - do you consider him offensive? He's made terrorist jokes too.
And what about something like Harold & Kumar?

I ask these last questions out of curiosity, not as a direct attack at your personal views.

Back
Top Bottom