Achmed, the Terrorist.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... If you actually were joking, that's VERY embarrassing on my part :lol: Sorry :D

I'm pretty sure I was actually joking....

I mean, your post *was* in gross violation of the universal law that all those must worship me, and refer to me by my full name, proceeded by such epitaphs as the awesome, spectacular, luminous, etc, etc...but you are young, I shall in my great magnanimity, forgive your trespass. A single folly is granted to each of you my dear lemmings.

god I need sleep

I'm pretty sure I was actually joking....

I mean, your post *was* in gross violation of the universal law that all those must worship me, and refer to me by my full name, proceeded by such epitaphs as the awesome, spectacular, luminous, etc, etc...but you are young, I shall in my great magnanimity, forgive your trespass. A single folly is granted to each of you my dear lemmings.

god I need sleep

You need a lot more than sleep.

Take advice from NSW's Uncle Fagin: you got to pick a pocket or two.

fagin.jpg

SirAlecGuinness_OliverTwist_Fagin.jpg

fagin.jpg

:lol: That's pretty lucky then, but are you from any sort of ethnic minority or discriminated against group? I know that by just being a woman makes me offended by things I read a lot.

No, not at all. I'm white, young, Australian, no minority. Which is probably a good point and thus the reason I've never found anything offensive; I've never had any 'beliefs' per se, so nothing to get offended about :shrug:

I just can't sit through it without feeling uncomfortable - I think the '7 virgins' bit is particularly embarrassing. And we wonder in the west why people of other cultures and religions hate us?!
It wasn't particularly funny, but religious zealotry deserves savage mockery, and the perverted sexuality of Islamic fundamentalism is a good base for comedy.

I'm infinitely more "offended" by the deeds of strong believers, and the capitulationist attitudes of the media (for instance, how many papers actually published the Danish Mohammed Cartoons); you seem to be arguing for censorship on the basis of it being offensive, I think that attitude is fundamentally wrong, and would stifle legitimate criticism; the cost is having hacks like this, but it is worth it.

Just to rehash a hundred FYM threads; there is no freedom to not be offended!

Hurt feelings do not justify censorship, and the thuggish tactics of religious organisations to censor things which cause them upset should be pointed out, and their various inanities should be laughed at, it seems to be the only way of doing the serious any major harm, their fragile egos simply cant take it.
But then I have a Islamic friend who did find this offensive :shrug:
So what? Do they speak for a billion people - would that even impact the comedians right to mock mass murderers?
I think, too, the whole 'silence, I kill you' thing was in poor taste given ... well, for example, the London bombings. How many people died then? Not to mention the terrorists themselves. Is that not sort of taking this piss out of all those people who died, including the terrorists in their vehemence, and making light out of something when it's far too soon to do? Maybe in the future, when these problems are over and a thing of the past, but not now when people are still loosing their lives because of these issues.
Mohammed Bouyeri shot and cut up Theo Van Gough as revenge for making the film submission, the mentality of the men who commited the London bombers was no different. These men are not friends of free expression, they are not fans of religious plurality, nor are they particularly enamoured of women (going by that lovely plot to bomb the Ministry of Sound on ladies night); your logic is unsound, just because thoroughly illiberal devout believers take a liking to blowing up Londoners isn't a reason to burn away free expression, the enactment of hate-speech laws which attack those who criticise religions, particularly Islam, are just as wrong as government wiretaps and extended detention orders.

I think these topics should definitely be worked on by comedians. I wouldn't have a problem at all with this if there was some other aim to it than just taking the piss out of a specific culture. Like, if this was a parody of the media's take on Islam in recent years then that would be different. But... just pointless culture bashing doesn't interest me. To be honest I'm not familiar with Harold & Kumar or Russel Peters, but I know alot of comedians who make 'terrorist' jokes and I think it's important with such a topic to make it clear what exactly you're getting at with the jokes. I mean, how many people here would appreciate a comedien making jokes about the victims of the holacaust? But we've all heard Hitler jokes before, and that's not the same.
I don't know, I think there's just a fine line in comedy between edgy and tasteless and this crosses it.
You can make plenty of jokes about the holocaust, they can force people to consider the magnitude of it.

You do realise I was making this point because someone said that they had a Muslim friend who didn't find it offensive..?

I think censoring EVERY single offensive joke would be a bit of a bugger to implement, really, and time and money would be better spent elsewhere.
You don't find it fundamentally wrong?

As an American I am deeply offended by this. :angry:

pgv, I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but again, different strokes for different folks. You may take great offense at a man using unfair stereotypes in a comedy act. Others may get offended at someone saying they'd abort a kid lest it become a right-winger. :shrug:
Hey, your talking about me now, did I get complaints?
If I was a woman, I would steal that statement and use it as a justification for abortion in my stand-up routine.

Have to abort the bastards before they take away my right to choose!
This is exactly why I like freedom of speech, I can make an ironic statement without fear of getting my posts blocked.

So a few Westerners find this offensive.

I was in Malaysia, a predominantly Muslim-oriented country, this time last year, and EVERYONE I know there was talking about this video and how absolutely hilarious it was. Take from that whatever you will.

shitloads of people at work love the skit/dunham. he's mildly amusing at best. i'd never say it's offensive, i just don't think it's nearly as hilarious as a lot of people i know seem to think. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom