Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #46
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
They're like the Scott Walkers of Comedy.

Now that's funny.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:17 AM   #47
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

Now that's funny.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #48
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Rant In E-Minor is a fantastic comedy record, Screw. Check that out.

Of course, since "offensive comedy" is an oxymoron, it's more like a guy talking for 70 minutes, trying to be as far from humorous as humanly possible. He absolutely succeeds.
two guys walk into a bar, now that's not to say it was two males. it could've been a male and a female, or two females, or maybe even two animals. that's not to say humans are not animals. or even that it has to be a bar, i'm certainly not implying they're alcoholics, they could walk into a grocery store or a...
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #49
The Male

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
two guys walk into a bar, now that's not to say it was two males. it could've been a male and a female, or two females, or maybe even two animals. that's not to say humans are not animals. or even that it has to be a bar, i'm certainly not implying they're alcoholics, they could walk into a grocery store or a...
I was over in Australia during Easter, which was interesting. Interesting to note that they celebrate Easter the same way we do; commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus by telling our children a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night. Now, I wonder why we're fucked up as a race. Anybody?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #50
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
I was over in Australia during Easter, which was interesting. Interesting to note that they celebrate Easter the same way we do; commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus by telling our children a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night. Now, I wonder why we're fucked up as a race. Anybody?
oooh!! oohh!!!! pick me!!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Quote:
YouTube - Eddie Izzard - Easter and Christmas
Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #52
The Male

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Good call, Eddie Izzard is hilarious.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #53
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:38 PM
I love how every now and again someone posts in here saying "this is hilarious, get a sense of humour!!!1"

Whether you think this video is wrong or if you just don't care about it, finding it funny is a whole other issue
Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Executive transvestites

As for Achmed the Terrorist, I don't find it particularly funny especially now that they've made it into a downloadable ringtone and you see if during every commercial break.

I don't think it's offensive but I sometimes have a very dark sense and I'll joke about anything, though there's a time and a place for everything. I'm pretty sure a comedy show is such a place so I don't see the problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:38 AM
The only thing I find particularly offensive about it is that it's horrible comedy. The subject matter isn't the problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #56
45:33

Local Time: 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I love how every now and again someone posts in here saying "this is hilarious, get a sense of humour!!!1"

Whether you think this video is wrong or if you just don't care about it, finding it funny is a whole other issue
Well to be fair he probably has other stuff that is actually funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
As for Achmed the Terrorist, I don't find it particularly funny especially now that they've made it into a downloadable ringtone and you see if during every commercial break.
This is what pisses me off too. My only problem with the entire act is, like most others here, it's just not funny, not the subject matter. Like LemonMac I chuckled at bits because of the costume, but that's it.

As for the whole "positive" comedy thing, a huge amount of good comedy is satirical and paying out on someone else.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post

I don't think it's offensive but I sometimes have a very dark sense and I'll joke about anything, though there's a time and a place for everything. I'm pretty sure a comedy show is such a place so I don't see the problem.

I chuckled at a few parts, but I certainly didn't find it offensive - I can see how some people do, but really, is this any worse than the 1000s of other comedians who take advantage of stereotypes to make jokes. Really, is it?
I don't think so.

And during an informal poll with my friends, while none found it particularily funny, none were offended. In fact, one told me his arab friends find Achmed hilarious. And another, who is Sikh (and hence could be sensitive about the turban) had no issue either.

Cue me shrugging.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #58
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Can I just say right now, that I do NOT agree with the whole 'comedy should be positive' thing. I just think that when it's resorting to crappy racist or xenophobic slurs then it's not particularly funny.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #59
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BrightestStar~ View Post

I chuckled at a few parts, but I certainly didn't find it offensive - I can see how some people do, but really, is this any worse than the 1000s of other comedians who take advantage of stereotypes to make jokes. Really, is it?
I don't think so.

And during an informal poll with my friends, while none found it particularily funny, none were offended. In fact, one told me his arab friends find Achmed hilarious. And another, who is Sikh (and hence could be sensitive about the turban) had no issue either.

Cue me shrugging.
But then I have a Islamic friend who did find this offensive
Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 02:38 PM
Like I said, I see how some would take offense, and I'm sensitive to that. But that doesn't mean I will necessarily condemn it. The thing is, much like different people find different things funny, different people have differing views on what is offensive.

Some people find imitating an accent offensive- others find any sort of religious joke or ones about patriotism offensive. Some find swearing extremely offensive. Should comedians not touch these topics at all then?

Russel Peters pokes fun at numerous races, stereotypes and cultures - do you consider him offensive? He's made terrorist jokes too.
And what about something like Harold & Kumar?

I ask these last questions out of curiosity, not as a direct attack at your personal views.

Tags
achmed the terrorist