A Thread About Girls (HBO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bollox

Refugee
So there's no Girls thread, but people are clearly watching. Let's do this shit.

I'll get the ball rolling with my power rankings:

1. Hannah - funniest, most realistic, and probably also the most terrible

2. Shoshanna - most likeable, but also most unrealistic. Hoping the writing gets better and she goes from being purely comic to a more well rounded character

3. Marnie - started out terrible, but becoming more sympathetic after second guessing kicking Charlie to the curb

4. Jessa - most terrible by a mile. Ditching old married loser hopefully signals the potential for personal growth

I watched up to episode 3 but catching up with GoT and Mad Men distracted me. Heard good things about the last couple episodes, too.

If you fail to recognize the commanding screen presence and natural comedic talents of Jemima Kirke, you shouldn't be allowed to make the Girls thread.

This will be my last post in this thread, and I call for any other Jessa fans who open this thread to not post in it. We'll go talk about this awesome show somewhere else.

:sad:

I'm pretty sure you can hate a character and think the actor/actress does a great job. See: Pete Campbell

Also, I realize I contradicted myself regarding who is more terrible: Hannah/Jessa. Clearly they're both extremely immature and prone to making awful decisions. Hannah reminds more of people I actually know, whereas I would probably hate someone like Jessa in reality.

I was not expecting Adam to become so likable. He was such a dick in the first few episodes.

I'vereally liked the last two episodes.

Glad I stuck with this show, I nearly bailed after the first episode ended with Hannah tripping out in her parents' hotel room (suite?) declaring herself the voice of a generation.

Thankfully the show has gotten better at presenting these characters' flaws as flaws rather than taking them seriously and has really developed these young, privileged girls and boys. Top stuff.

Also, Jessa seems like someone who'd be great to know as an acquaintance but it would suck to rely on her for anything. Proper good time girl and a mega flake. Actress does a great job, as do they all, but the only one I've sympathy for so far is THE SHOSH.

LOVE THE SHOSH

Agree that the criticisms of the characters being whiny and overprivileged miss the point. These are not meant to be characters that you sympathize with all (or even most) of the time, but they are (mostly) realistic and relatable.

Adam has evolved from a character I just wanted to punch in the face to one that I only sometimes want to punch in the face. I can definitely see why Hannah would be attracted to him. Love Tako's explanation of his hidden depths "His struggle with alcoholism is his most defining characteristic; that, and his love of books"

Both Hannah and Adam have evolved. I like their storyline far better than the others.

Question about this week's episode which I just watched last night.
Did Adam write that monologue? Or did the other guy? I always watch Girls while jumping on my mini-trampoline and then I'm too lazy to rewind to the parts I need clarification on.

My niece who grew up in (and lives in) Manhattan, and who is close in age to the characters, says it's so real it's practically like a reality show. I guess the reason we're drawn to this show is because it's mostly pretty realistic so we didn't need that validation, but anyway, there you have it from someone who lives there and knows people like the characters.

i've begun to enjoy this show though have missed many of the earlier episodes.

i both like and am greatly annoyed by Lena Dunham, both on the show and in real life.

it also makes me wish i could take back and re-do so many of the thoughts i had whilst in my mid-20s.

Thought this week's episode was a bit lacking, until the end. The fight between Hannah and Marnie was really well done. Realistic but also funny, it put their character differences in sharp relief.

Only one more episode to go!

She gets points for listening to Siouxsie while housecleaning.

I like when outside characters call her on her bullshit; she's clearly used to being adored by her circle of friends.

Thought this week was kinda lame, but Ray is another character that started off as a twat, but is getting very funny.

"slim leg" *hand gesture*

Oh no. Please no!

Jessa marries after two weeks of meeting someone? I thought this show tended to be realistic, but this is way too unrealistic. Ugh

Ya, I didn't find it to be all that unrealistic either. I've got a friend who reminds me of Jessa and I wouldn't be surprised if she did the same thing.
Quality episode this week. Hannah's conversations with her gay ex boyfriend continue to be the best part of the show

I thought the surprise wedding party aspect was dumb and not believable but not the fact that she married someone she'd only known for two weeks. Loved the closing scene. Falling asleep on the subway and waking up in Coney Island is very believable because I've done it. More than once.

Finally realized the guy she married is the police officer / love interest on Bridesmaids, couldn't figure out what I recognized him from. Also on some sort of sketch show in the UK, as I know I've seen some clips on the youtubez before.

I haven't even watched last night's yet ... she marries the yuppie guy who took Jessa and Marnie home with him the previous week? The one who wanted to be "balls deep in something"??? :lol:

Looking forward to watching it tonight.

Sorry about the spoiler, cori. The fact that she marries him in particular is also not believable. I thought it was a pretty weak episode, but as usual I like the intensity of the Hannah/Adam drama.

And Shoshanna being upset about having worn white to the wedding, because no one knew it was a wedding, was hysterical.

Oh, no - don't worry about it. I wouldn't have come in here at all if I worried about spoilers for this show. :)

I find most of the characters interesting and perhaps quirky
Jessa marrying that guy? sure. seemed a bit like a gold digger move, very typical
Shoshanna, everything about her is great.

Marnie is mostly fine, the only question is why is she freinds with Hannah, Hannah is useless and adds no value to anyone's lives, she is only a user. Sure she has low self esteem, she might feel better about herself if she was a better person. And no way would Marie hit on some fat dude, because he was funny, he really was not that funny.

Finally realized the guy she married is the police officer / love interest on Bridesmaids, couldn't figure out what I recognized him from. Also on some sort of sketch show in the UK, as I know I've seen some clips on the youtubez before.

The IT Crowd. I haven't watched it, but I've heard good things. That dude does a horrible American accent though. Atrocious

Back
Top Bottom