A Thread About Girls (HBO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got behind and after reading the remarks in here and glancing at a couple of articles, I thought about staying away.

However, this afternoon I watched two episodes, and the season finale just now. My complaint has always has been the writing. These last three episodes have been some of the best. I am glad I rode it out.

Hannah's OCD is a bit annoying and not too believable. But, with the finale I can see why it was used. Adam, the actor and the character is one of the better things in the show.
In reality, I don't believe Adam would ever go back to or trust Hannah again. After being arrested because she called the cops on him and got a restraining order he would not go back. But, they portrayed him as too compassionate and concerned for her welfare.

Marnie's story ended where it should have. Her relationship with Charlie got screwed over because of Hannah. Marnie should just stay away from her. But, again she is a better friend than Hannah deserves, she did go over to check on her. And as for everyone belittling her singing. Jesus, it was not that bad for an office party. And the person she sang for, well he seemed to get the message. Marnie, has never been a bad person. Kudos to Charlie for being mature, and not petty, trying to get payback for her mistake. Again the writing with Charlie was pretty good, they set it up that he was at least a bit industrious and creative with his furniture design and building. So the app success works. And the app, as silly as it is, is somewhat plausible.

On to Shoshanna, all that is very believable a young college girl getting a little attention for some young hotter guys would question her relationship with an older cynic. I know, I've been there. And that is how it plays out. Her breakup speech was spot on.

All that talk about 'body horror' wtf was that about. A splinter in a butt? Big deal.
Three episodes without having to see Hannah's naked body or any parts, thank god!! That was courageous and much appreciated.

Adam's relationship with the new girl. Horrific? date rape? that is just stupid.
Give me a break. She knows he is an alcoholic, her mother is one. She takes him out and gets him drunk. But also, at her place she told him she was on the pill but not to come inside of her. So at his place he does not, she says she did not want it there. He takes his shirt and wipes it off of her and apologizes. And the next time we see them they are fine. Like all relationships, they need to work on things. his role playing is different than her traffic controller routine. Again I've been there. These things can be worked out with a little communication and consideration.

Once again Dunham's rom-com proclivities get the better of her. Ugh. Some are claiming that the whole Adam racing to 'rescue' Hannah was meant to be entirely ironic, but I'm not sure I buy that.

What an odd episode.

By far the best scene was shoshana dumping Ray. And then Hannah's phone call to Jessa.

The last scene ... Not sure about all of that.

The Season 1 finale also had lots of rom-com elements: surprise wedding, Adam getting hit by a car during big argument, Marnie & Charlie thwarted hookup, etc

Oh. Well. I wasn't being snarky, I found this seasons ending really different in tone than anything else in the series, so I was surprised at your post and wondered if I'd missed something.

I can see your point about the S1 finale, but the image I remember from that episode is of Lena Dunham eating cake alone on the beach. It's a definitely not a rom-com image, and we know for a fact that Deep has had to seek out therapy for being forced to watch a normally proportioned naked girl eat on TV. Very non rom-com.

What an odd episode.

By far the best scene was shoshana dumping Ray. And then Hannah's phone call to Jessa.

The last scene ... Not sure about all of that.

Agreed. I also thought Marnie's "happy ending" didn't make much sense because I always thought Charlie was a douche.

I think the reason why Jessa is MIA is because the actress had a baby last fall, so she was pregnant during the filming. I guess Lena Dunham didn't want to work around that so she made Jessa run away for the time being.

Yay, another Girls thinkpiece!

The sequence of Adam running through the streets of Brooklyn is superficially romantic, but it doesn't take much squinting to imagine him, with hairy face and naked torso, as a nocturnal predator. He's no Matthew Perry, and it's hard to rest comfortably with the idea of Adam as someone who can bring Hannah back to mental health.

While this interpretation makes a lot of sense, I don't think it was the actual intent of that scene. I feel that scene was completely earnest which is why I have such a problem with it.

I think it might be a setup for Season 3. I'm sure things will go wrong for all of them. And we get 12 episodes instead of 10!

joyfulgirl said:
How is Charlie the douche in that relationship?

Crap. I got him confused with someone else. Nevermind. Marnie is annoying, as they all are, but nice to see a smile on her face.

^^^ That was great, and every impersonation was spot on.

The Shosh impression was perfect and the girl doing Jessa was funny. I was 'eh' on the rest. Also, SNL is kind of late in parodying Girls, no? (though between this, Arcade Fire, and Aaron Paul being in half the sketches, I ended up watching most of it last nite)

The Shosh impression was perfect and the girl doing Jessa was funny. I was 'eh' on the rest. Also, SNL is kind of late in parodying Girls, no? (though between this, Arcade Fire, and Aaron Paul being in half the sketches, I ended up watching most of it last nite)

Better late than never.

Delightful first two episodes, and they really flew by. I want more already. Love how Jessa-centric they were, too.

The show works better for me when Hannah is in her good, happy place as opposed to the darker, anxious, crazy phase she was in for parts of last season. So I like where the season is starting. The Maroon 5 scene is a classic.

I thought they glossed over Hannah's standing issues from the end of season 2 way too easily. So apparently all she needed to get over a crippling OCD was some meds and Adam's love. Which also cured her writer's block! Everything the last season had built up to was dismissed with some expository dialogue in a couple of scenes. I'm not expecting the show to be Breaking Bad, but it should carry more weight than Entourage. Some sense of actual stakes would be nice.

The Jessa focus was a good change of pace and fulfilled my quota of people behaving horribly. For her a rehab stint is just a cred-building exercise (especially with this group! Kim Gordon, Richard Grant, AND Tastee? Awesome.)

And dear god, I hope Amy Schumer does not appear on the show regularly

Delightful first two episodes, and they really flew by. I want more already. Love how Jessa-centric they were, too.

The show works better for me when Hannah is in her good, happy place as opposed to the darker, anxious, crazy phase she was in for parts of last season. So I like where the season is starting. The Maroon 5 scene is a classic.

Yes, all around.

Also, I want as much shoshana as possible.

I still hate Jessa. And I still love Adam.

Wasn't crazy about either episode, though. It was probably just the mood I was in or something.

Yeah, I'm kind of feeling like I might be done. It's not like it's news that these are unlikable, annoying characters, but I wanted them all to just shut up.

while i enjoyed these episodes, i do wonder where they will go this season -- what do you do when you're generally happy?

i guess you write ATYCLB, but still ...

Back
Top Bottom