A Thread About Girls (HBO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty solid episode this week but

ARGHHH after everything with Adam's sister the plot thread is just dropped entirely without even a line of dialogue to address it? This is really becoming a zero stakes show.

Yeah, that was weird. And Adam's sister was prominently featured in the "Previously on Girls" intro thingy, so I figured they would comment on it.

Maybe she'll come crawling back.

Reality bites for Hannah. Sucks to realize you'll be writing for the money and perks rather than your heart and soul. But that's life, girl :wink:

So glad Elijah's back.

I'm not what you would call a One Tree Hill fan, but I have seen every episode...

This was one of the better episodes of the season. Really funny, especially once they arrived at the hotel. The look on Hannah's face when Marnie starts harmonizing with that dude. God damn.

It's like 00's U2 -- what it's lost in edginess it's made up for in skill and pleasure.

Ewww, you may have nailed why I'm not caring for this season. I feel like the first two seasons the show was trying to find its voice and that even when it made a misstep, it was still interesting. The word that keeps coming up this season is 'sitcom-y' which I think does apply in the sense that it feels like after a half hour the characters will be exactly the same next week.

Last week had a big blowup fight and everyone's cool again this week without addressing it. Jessa relapses in this episode pretty spectacularly and none of them seems inclined to do anything about it. The show may as well go full South Park and kill Marnie every episode just to bring her back the next week (actually, that sounds awesome)

The show may as well go full South Park and kill Marnie every episode just to bring her back the next week (actually, that sounds awesome)

:giggle:

Sounds good to me! I like Marnie the least. For some reason, I have a soft spot for Jessa, even though she isn't admirable or very likable. I don't get it.

Agreed. She doesn't annoy me like Shosh or (to a lesser extent) Marnie. I like that she's a bit more of an enigma.

Jessa's bullshit is a lot more tolerable when other characters call her on it and you realize she's just hiding behind her affectations.

Jessa's bullshit is a lot more tolerable when other characters call her on it and you realize she's just hiding behind her affectations.

Yes, that's it! She's more tolerable than the others. Plus, she's a free spirit and that's cool. Unfortunately, it makes her too reckless and induces eye-rolling in me. Luckily, not as much as the other three.

I went through a similar situation earlier this year and the episode really rang true, at least for me. Siblings at each other's throats one minute and then laughing together the next. The discussions about who gets to inherit what. A dying relative definitely does bring out some weird shit. Obviously.

I loved the stuff with Hannah and her cousin. That hit close to home, too. It can be difficult and awkward maintaining a working relationship with a cousin if you don't live anywhere near them. Even if you've known each other since childhood.

Good stuff. I think the back half of this season has been a lot stronger than the first half.

It is feeling more and more like a sitcom. But at least it's a honest, well-written, insightful, well-acted, and enjoyable sitcom.

This week's episode actually reminded me of some older eps like One Man's Trash in that it felt more like a one-act play. Episodes like this would really benefit from being an hour long, a lot of character moments end up getting rushed where they'd be better unfolding organically. I do agree that the show is going more sitcom, but it can still deliver a nuanced character study from time to time (part of what makes the inconsistency so frustrating)

Great episode. Hit close to me too. I'm pretty sure I figured out which sister I would be in that situation, plus my other two sisters :rolleyes:

Not sure if anybody noticed with the True Detective finale happening and all, but this might have been the best episode of the season. The role-playing stuff was hilarious and Dunham & Driver had great awkward chemistry.

I got a bit nervous because Adam has gotten rough in the past, but luckily there was only brutal honesty here. I liked it when they were out in the street and that lone guy told Adam, "stay away from her, she's a psycho." :lol: That happens a lot!

I liked that the show had an episode exploring Adam's sexual hangups. They were prominent in the last two seasons but seemed to be casually dropped and unacknowledged this season, as the show does with so many things (see: Adam's sister). I'm not sure I buy that Hannah's love cured him of being sexually domineering though.

I've watched one and 1/2 episodes this season. They were much better than many of all the ones I watched in season one.

I think Lena's writing talent is far superior to her acting talent.

Back
Top Bottom