A Thread About Girls (HBO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think the criticism leveled at this show is often unfair. it has some very sharp, insightful writing, some very appealing and talented leads, and it is ultimately about smart people working through their self-absorption and becoming real, full adults.

i enjoyed the season premier.

I agree. I didn't quite buy
Elijah's moment of confusion with Marnie, though.

i think the criticism leveled at this show is often unfair. it has some very sharp, insightful writing, some very appealing and talented leads, and it is ultimately about smart people working through their self-absorption and becoming real, full adults.

i enjoyed the season premier.

Exactly. I recognize myself, friends and former co-workers on this show. I guess the critics didn't have the same mentality as the characters when they were young. :shrug:

I'll watch the premier later this week as I was watching the Globes last night

I agree. I didn't quite buy
Elijah's moment of confusion with Marnie, though.

yeah ... that rang a little false,
but i took it as that he was trying to be something he's not, which she told him he didn't have to be. if they'd consummated it would have been an illogical, way-too-convenient plot twist designed to create cheap drama.

still, i enjoyed seeing more of Andrew Rannells.

Thought that the Marnie/Elijah scene was a highlight of the episode. I like their screen chemistry. I think Allison Williams just keeps getting better. Also, she is a damn good singer and I always think it's funny when talented singers have to tone down their skill in a scene and pretend like they're not as good as they actually are.

Also nice to get some side boob from her.

More Andrew Rannells is a positive, and Donald Glover is a welcome addition, as well. Even though he didn't really do anything, it'll be interesting to see him play a character that seems much more grounded and less of a manic cartoon than the legendary TROY BARNES on Community.

Yeah, I don't think we're supposed to like him although he got better towards the end of last season. But still a great character and actor.

I feel like an outsider here, but I like Adam. Even in the first half of Season 1, when you weren't supposed to like him, I kind of liked him, and as the season wore on, I really, really liked him.

Extending that, I really dislike her for how she's treated him the past two episodes (finale/premiere).

I feel like an outsider here, but I like Adam. Even in the first half of Season 1, when you weren't supposed to like him, I kind of liked him, and as the season wore on, I really, really liked him.

Extending that, I really dislike her for how she's treated him the past two episodes (finale/premiere).

I agree. I feel like I'm not supposed to like him but he's my favorite character, and not in a he's-fun-to-hate way. He's complicated. And I loved him in the season premier.

Oh . . . and I also liked, but still snickered at, the Hispster cover version of the Bruce song over the end credits.

But I've always liked that song a lot.

Ha, me, too. Who was it, do you know? I wonder how many viewers in the age group of the characters realize it was a Springsteen song.

I'll Soundhound it when I get home. Unless i deleted the episode, which I think I did.

I honestly thought it was the new Vampire Weekend song I haven't heard yet.

On the subject of end credits tunes, I haven't been able to listen to The Vaccines' Wreckin' Bar without thinking of the show since.

Haha, my bad.

I agree with monkeyskin, it did sound a bit like Vampire Weekend.

It's a mystery that we will probably never solve.

On the subject of end credits tunes, I haven't been able to listen to The Vaccines' Wreckin' Bar without thinking of the show since.
Sames. That song is totes amaze #the_shosh

I was pretty certain that cover was by Vampire Weekend as well. Sounds like a studio recording; anyone know if it's an older b-side or did they specifically do it for Girls?

I feel like I should recognize Vampire Weekend when I hear them covering a Springsteen song. I guess I'm old. I guess Fitz is getting on up there, too.
:kiss:

I feel like I should recognize Vampire Weekend when I hear them covering a Springsteen song. I guess I'm old. I guess Fitz is getting on up there, too.
:kiss:

Not necessarily: I don't really like VW. I don't have any of their stuff, so why would I recognize them? And I wasn't into Bruce when that song ORIGINALLY came out; I was still just a kid!

But all defensiveness aside: yes, (much to my irritation and sadness) I am getting up there too.

Back
Top Bottom