A Thread About Girls (HBO) - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
while i enjoyed these episodes, i do wonder where they will go this season -- what do you do when you're generally happy?
You fuck it up again.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of feeling like I might be done.

how can you walk away from all of this?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #213
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh HO! You are just so fucking clever.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #214
Refugee

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Vogue article

Quote:
In Girls’s second season, Hannah had a brief but intense dalliance with a much older, very handsome doctor (Patrick Wilson) with a Zeitgeist-appropriate Brooklyn brownstone. Dunham was surprised to find how controversial their pairing became. “Critics said, ‘That guy wouldn’t date that girl!’ ” she explains. “It’s like, ‘Have you been out on the street lately?’ Everyone dates everyone, for lots of reasons we can’t understand. Sexuality isn’t a perfect puzzle, like, ‘He has a nice nose and she has a nice nose! She’s got great breasts and he’s got great calves! And so they’re going to live happily ever after in a house that was purchased with their modeling money!’ It’s a complicated thing. I want people ultimately, even if they’re disturbed by certain moments, to feel bolstered and normalized by the sex that’s on the show.”
I took issue with 'One Man's Trash' for reasons having nothing to do with the supposed "hotness disparity" between the two principals. I just do not buy that a chance encounter would lead to a weekend-long bangfest complete with naked ping-pong. I appreciate what she was going for in the episode, and I think it may have even been successful in an hour-long episode, but it didn't work as a 30 minute character piece.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:26 PM
how does deep live with himself?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I guess I must be the only one that really enjoyed the first two episodes of Season 3.

I haaaaaaaated Season 2! I kept with it, hoping it would get better, (and it did a little bit the last 2 or 3 episodes) but all-in-all it was a very disappointing season. So it was quite a happy surprise to me when, while watching the first episodes of S3, I found myself laughing out loud very loudly! That's the "GIRLS" I was missing! Season 2 just wasn't funny, and Season 1 had been so funny, so the lack of humor was glaringly apparent.

I know it's a bold statement for me to make, but these first two episodes of S3 were better to me than anything in Season 2!

For the first time in a long time, I'm excited about "GIRLS".
Old 01-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #217
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
I guess I must be the only one that really enjoyed the first two episodes of Season 3.
Yeah, I'm sure you are the only person.

Oh wait, I posted about loving the first two episodes, in this very thread, like 9 fucking posts ago, and then irvine seconded my thoughts!

Do people not read threads anymore? I'm sorry man, your sentence there is just two huge pet peeves of mine rolled into one.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:26 PM
is it wrong that i really enjoyed this episode as well? and basically giggled throughout? and thought that Adam's sister was a visual response to Blarta and that she was like Hannah's evil twin?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

I liked this episode as well, perhaps because the main women characters were less annoying (except for Marnie, ugh, who does that to a friend?). Adam's sister was really well-done. I felt like I knew that girl in college.

Adam remains my favorite character.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #220
Blue Crack Distributor

I've definitely come around to liking Adam more than I did at first. It might be because I've been seeing Adam Driver everywhere these days (which is a weird reason, but I guess I'm just getting used to seeing him?).
Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #221
Blue Crack Supplier

I really enjoyed this episode as well.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #222
Refugee

Adam and Ray FTW. I wonder if we'll get another episode with just them again this year? Having said that, Ray and Shosh's encounter was perfect. His rehearsed inventory of accomplishments before giving up the pretence and her befuddlement at the whole thing was heartbreaking.

I liked that Adam was still outraged at someone possibly abusing his sister, but if he really doesn't want her in his life why give her the address? Meet at a coffee shop, eesh.

The music was also fantastic this week, LMFAO and Marnie aside. I'm getting to the point where I dread seeing her onscreen, possibly because I emphasize with her the most.

Finally, did anyone see Looking yet? I'll get to it in the next couple of days, but after True Detective and Girls I was wondering if HBO pulled off a full frontal hat trick.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #223
Refugee

For anyone who thinks Jessa should be seen and not heard, this was the episode for you.

The show's built up a nice stable of secondary characters, it was great to see Laird and Tako (!) again.

It happened rather quickly but there was a moment where a black chick said hi to Hannah and she replied that she couldn't really talk right then. Wonder if this was the show trolling its diversity critics? (maybe reading too much into that)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 AM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Marnie's music video. Hell yes.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #225
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
Finally, did anyone see Looking yet? I'll get to it in the next couple of days, but after True Detective and Girls I was wondering if HBO pulled off a full frontal hat trick.

yes, i saw Looking and will be watching.

it could be said that Looking is to Queer as Folk as Girls is to Sex and the City. i think that's partially accurate. but it's hard to know quite what to think from the first episode, since not much happened and clear characters haven't yet been fully drawn. a friend of mine says he'll give me his opinion on the show just as soon as the show gives him something to have an opinion about. the characters all seem to be generally nice, gentle people who have everyday issues to work through. i don't think we'll ever see the craziness of Girls on this show.

it felt refreshingly realistic as a depiction of one specific slice of gay life (no one is ever going to feel as if all subcultures and identities are represented equally, and this is prestige TV, so everyone is predominantly white, good looking, well-dressed, great haircuts, cool apartments, etc.) it does avoid most obvious cliche and stereotype while also remaining grounded in certain aspects and realities, good and bad, of gay culture. it also reflects how much life has changed since the late 1990s of QAF (there's talk about how one of the characters feels hearing that an ex is now engaged), and it touched on the generation gap between men in their 40s and men in their 20s and how they understand themselves as gay.

if anything it seems a little too gentle. where Girls is harsh and sharp and written almost like a stageplay, this was soft focus and elliptical and impressionistic.

i have hopes, though. one of the best gay movies i've ever seen was Weekend, and the director of that film, Andrew Haigh, is in charge here. what was great about Weekend was that it was so matter-of-fact and naturalistic about two gay guys who happen to meet at a bar, spend the weekend together, imagine a better life with each other, and then it doesn't work out. it's heartbreaking in a way, but it's also so matter-of-fact that it feels ok because this is how life is.