A Thread About Girls (HBO) - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #181
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 12:12 PM
Bru.tal. Seriously disturbing.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,274
Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I almost fast-forwarded when Marnie started singing.
Same here.
__________________

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #183
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,691
Local Time: 02:12 PM
I put it on mute

As much as I like Adam, he puts me on edge every scene he's in because I don't know what he'll do next.
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #184
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 11:12 AM
I got behind and after reading the remarks in here and glancing at a couple of articles, I thought about staying away.

However, this afternoon I watched two episodes, and the season finale just now. My complaint has always has been the writing. These last three episodes have been some of the best. I am glad I rode it out.

Hannah's OCD is a bit annoying and not too believable. But, with the finale I can see why it was used. Adam, the actor and the character is one of the better things in the show.
In reality, I don't believe Adam would ever go back to or trust Hannah again. After being arrested because she called the cops on him and got a restraining order he would not go back. But, they portrayed him as too compassionate and concerned for her welfare.

Marnie's story ended where it should have. Her relationship with Charlie got screwed over because of Hannah. Marnie should just stay away from her. But, again she is a better friend than Hannah deserves, she did go over to check on her. And as for everyone belittling her singing. Jesus, it was not that bad for an office party. And the person she sang for, well he seemed to get the message. Marnie, has never been a bad person. Kudos to Charlie for being mature, and not petty, trying to get payback for her mistake. Again the writing with Charlie was pretty good, they set it up that he was at least a bit industrious and creative with his furniture design and building. So the app success works. And the app, as silly as it is, is somewhat plausible.

On to Shoshanna, all that is very believable a young college girl getting a little attention for some young hotter guys would question her relationship with an older cynic. I know, I've been there. And that is how it plays out. Her breakup speech was spot on.

All that talk about 'body horror' wtf was that about. A splinter in a butt? Big deal.
Three episodes without having to see Hannah's naked body or any parts, thank god!! That was courageous and much appreciated.

Adam's relationship with the new girl. Horrific? date rape? that is just stupid.
Give me a break. She knows he is an alcoholic, her mother is one. She takes him out and gets him drunk. But also, at her place she told him she was on the pill but not to come inside of her. So at his place he does not, she says she did not want it there. He takes his shirt and wipes it off of her and apologizes. And the next time we see them they are fine. Like all relationships, they need to work on things. his role playing is different than her traffic controller routine. Again I've been there. These things can be worked out with a little communication and consideration.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #185
Refugee
 
bollox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,315
Local Time: 07:12 PM
Once again Dunham's rom-com proclivities get the better of her. Ugh. Some are claiming that the whole Adam racing to 'rescue' Hannah was meant to be entirely ironic, but I'm not sure I buy that.
__________________
bollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 02:12 PM
What an odd episode.

By far the best scene was shoshana dumping Ray. And then Hannah's phone call to Jessa.

The last scene ... Not sure about all of that.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #187
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
Once again Dunham's rom-com proclivities get the better of her. Ugh. Some are claiming that the whole Adam racing to 'rescue' Hannah was meant to be entirely ironic, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Once again?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #188
Refugee
 
CrashedCarDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Turkmenbashin'
Posts: 1,607
Local Time: 06:12 AM
10 unforgettable moments from Girls series 2
__________________
CrashedCarDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #189
Refugee
 
bollox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,315
Local Time: 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Once again?
The Season 1 finale also had lots of rom-com elements: surprise wedding, Adam getting hit by a car during big argument, Marnie & Charlie thwarted hookup, etc
__________________
bollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #190
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post

The Season 1 finale also had lots of rom-com elements: surprise wedding, Adam getting hit by a car during big argument, Marnie & Charlie thwarted hookup, etc
Oh. Well. I wasn't being snarky, I found this seasons ending really different in tone than anything else in the series, so I was surprised at your post and wondered if I'd missed something.

I can see your point about the S1 finale, but the image I remember from that episode is of Lena Dunham eating cake alone on the beach. It's a definitely not a rom-com image, and we know for a fact that Deep has had to seek out therapy for being forced to watch a normally proportioned naked girl eat on TV. Very non rom-com.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
What an odd episode.

By far the best scene was shoshana dumping Ray. And then Hannah's phone call to Jessa.

The last scene ... Not sure about all of that.
Agreed. I also thought Marnie's "happy ending" didn't make much sense because I always thought Charlie was a douche.

I think the reason why Jessa is MIA is because the actress had a baby last fall, so she was pregnant during the filming. I guess Lena Dunham didn't want to work around that so she made Jessa run away for the time being.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #192
Refugee
 
bollox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,315
Local Time: 07:12 PM
Yay, another Girls thinkpiece!

Quote:
The sequence of Adam running through the streets of Brooklyn is superficially romantic, but it doesn't take much squinting to imagine him, with hairy face and naked torso, as a nocturnal predator. He's no Matthew Perry, and it's hard to rest comfortably with the idea of Adam as someone who can bring Hannah back to mental health.
While this interpretation makes a lot of sense, I don't think it was the actual intent of that scene. I feel that scene was completely earnest which is why I have such a problem with it.
__________________
bollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 02:12 PM
I think it might be a setup for Season 3. I'm sure things will go wrong for all of them. And we get 12 episodes instead of 10!
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Agreed. I also thought Marnie's "happy ending" didn't make much sense because I always thought Charlie was a douche.
How is Charlie the douche in that relationship?
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl

How is Charlie the douche in that relationship?
Crap. I got him confused with someone else. Nevermind. Marnie is annoying, as they all are, but nice to see a smile on her face.
__________________

__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com