83rd Annual Acadamy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think The Kids Are Alright voters has more of a 'hipster' ? type fanbase, not a traditional story. and therefore would break more towards TSN than the 'traditionalist' King's Speech.

I just think Toy Story has more of a 'young' fanbase, and therefore would favor TSN. :shrug:

Yeah I think there are both going to have diverse appeal which makes it even harder to predict what will happen. I see what you mean about Kids but I was just thinking that the film is similarly about a family weathering a storm together.

Really? None? Not even for the writing and acting? Bening, Moore, Ruffalo, and the daughter were all very good.

I don't think the film is BP-calibre but you know, compared to The Blind Side it doesn't look like an embarrassing nom.

Well, I thought Moore was better than Bening, so I might feel differently if she was the one nominated. Ruffalo was good; I would rather have seen Hardy nominated from Inception or one of The Social Network people.

:shrug:

I liked The Kids Are All Right, I just don't think it was so praise-worthy.

I have a feeling that Melissa Leo and Amy Adams will cancel each other out and Hailee Steinfeld will end up getting Supporting Actress. It's fairly split regarding actors nominated for the same film in the same category, though with the dumb uproar about Leo's ads and Steinfeld ostensibly being a lead in a supporting category, it could happen. All three performances are great.

There's something awesome about Amy "America's New Sweetheart" Adams having arguably the best sailor mouth of anyone else in The Fighter. I love David O. Russell.

I have a feeling that Melissa Leo and Amy Adams will cancel each other out and Hailee Steinfeld will end up getting Supporting Actress. It's fairly split regarding actors nominated for the same film in the same category, though with the dumb uproar about Leo's ads and Steinfeld ostensibly being a lead in a supporting category, it could happen. All three performances are great.

Catherine Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah were both nommed for Chicago, and the former won. She managed to beat out Meryl Streep for Adaptation (who had won the Golden Globe) as well as Julianne Moore in The Hours.

Leo seems to have won enough precursors to make it a lock, but the Steinfeld category fraud throws a bit of a monkey wrench into things.

I haven't even seen The Fighter yet so I can't really weigh in with my own opinion in terms of merit.

There is very good merit to the work she does in The Fighter,
plus she has a pretty good body of work, most recently Frozen River.
and despite my huge disappointment for Treme, she should win.

As good as Steinfeld is in True Grit, and I think Grit may be the best film this year, it will hold up over time, as a very consistent production.

There is not that much range with that character, is she that good of an actress?
or did the casting director just hit the nail on the head?

Catherine Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah were both nommed for Chicago, and the former won. She managed to beat out Meryl Streep for Adaptation (who had won the Golden Globe) as well as Julianne Moore in The Hours.

Leo seems to have won enough precursors to make it a lock, but the Steinfeld category fraud throws a bit of a monkey wrench into things.

I haven't even seen The Fighter yet so I can't really weigh in with my own opinion in terms of merit.

I take it back. There seem to be more instances of one of the two nominees for the same film winning than splitting the vote.

Also, The Fighter's very, very good. David O. Russell's able to inject a surprising level of naturalism into an admittedly cartoonish scenario. That sort of mastery of tone is something that I always respond to.

Speaking of his work, Flirting with Disaster is the shit. I might have mentioned it on here somewhere, but I was surprised by how much I loved that film. As great as Three Kings and I Heart Huckabees are, any fan of those two movies should check that one out as well.

I'm nowhere near the film aficionado that most of you are, but I'm a bit surprised for the lack of love that Winter's Bone seems to be getting. I watched it and The Social Network back-to-back on a recent flight, and to me Winter was the far more gripping and much better acted film.

Is the Academy's love for Social Network based on the timeliness of the film? I enjoyed it, and Eisenberg was tremendous in his role, but personally I do not see it as approaching the same league as Winter or The King's Speech.

I'm nowhere near the film aficionado that most of you are, but I'm a bit surprised for the lack of love that Winter's Bone seems to be getting. I watched it and The Social Network back-to-back on a recent flight, and to me Winter was the far more gripping and much better acted film.

Is the Academy's love for Social Network based on the timeliness of the film? I enjoyed it, and Eisenberg was tremendous in his role, but personally I do not see it as approaching the same league as Winter or The King's Speech.

I just wasn't very moved by Winter's Bone. Maybe it was too bleak? I thought the girl's performance was fine, but not outstanding. :shrug:
OMG, did they nail the wardrobe though--grubby, poor-people wear.

Go see The Fighter; that will throw a wrench in what you think will win. It is easily in my top 3 of most enjoyable 2010 movies to watch (which doesn't always equate to Oscar material, but The Fighter does).

The King's Speech is minor league, and doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside Winter's Bone, which was actually creatively done, instead of just having a handful of off-center compositions posting as art. And the latter also felt like a unique story, instead of a by-the-numbers underdog schematic.

And neither is good as The Social Network, which was about as perfectly crafted as anything I've seen in a while. It may be a cold machine, but it is a streamlined one that is running on all cylinders at all times and should be respected for that technical feat. And I do think the ensemble, which is made up of much less-experienced actors (as compared to the well-trained British cast of TKS), is outstanding all the way through. And then there's the script, which has been rightfully lauded this entire awards season for a very engrossing story that has a lot of dazzling dialogue.

And neither is good as The Social Network, which was about as perfectly crafted as anything I've seen in a while. It may be a cold machine, but it is a streamlined one that is running on all cylinders at all times and should be respected for that technical feat. And I do think the ensemble, which is made up of much less-experienced actors (as compared to the well-trained British cast of TKS), is outstanding all the way through. And then there's the script, which has been rightfully lauded this entire awards season for a very engrossing story that has a lot of dazzling dialogue.

I don't know, I found the dialogue slightly disingenuous. I've been around a lot of Ivy League people (not that I'm at all proud of that), and none of them have spoken in the seamless, impeccably sardonic manner that so many of the characters in the film do. Then there's the ending, which I felt decided to impose its ideas with a sledgehammer even though they had already been insinuated quite strongly. But that's just a personal preference. I was entertained nonetheless.

No normal human beings talk the way Sorkin writes, and when you hire David Fincher and Trent Reznor on top of that to put together a film like this, you don't exactly demand naturalism.

I am with most of the detractors regarding the ending of the film, however. Not for any "that's not true to the real life story" reason though, but merely because it is kind of heavy-handed and easy. They could have arrived at a much more elegant ending to the same effect.

I agree. Not the most perfect ending. But the flaw was having that romantic subplot throughout the film when it was unnecessary in the first place. Since it was in there, it made absolute sense to end it the way they did.

The King's Speech is minor league, and doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside Winter's Bone, which was actually creatively done, instead of just having a handful of off-center compositions posting as art. And the latter also felt like a unique story, instead of a by-the-numbers underdog schematic.

Agreed on all counts. While The King's Speech is built around the underdog story and British royal drama which is in itself an interesting conceit, it, to me, hit all of those beats in about as humdrum of a way as possible. The Fighter hits a lot of those same beats, only David O. Russell's actually interested in kineticism and emotional involvement as opposed to this upper-crust aloofness. Different sensibilities, to be sure... I just found one to be more cinematic than the other. The only real standout was Mr. D'Arcy's performance. With Winter's Bone, transplanting the detective/pot boiler template to the Ozarks was really fucking cool.

Finally saw 127 Hours last night. It was much better than I expected, but as an avid hiker, the origin still annoys me. If you are that arrogant as a outdoors person, expect to die a painful death in some way.

So now, I'm 10 for 10 on seeing BP noms and 76 for 120 on category noms. I'm trying to catch Biutiful later this week, too.

A Prophet was amazing, BTW. Worthier of the top slot than Carlos IMO. And I finally saw I Am Love last week, very surprised at how much I liked it (though I honestly didn't know much going in).

A Prophet's been on Watch Instantly for months and I have not gotten around to it. Between this, Carlos, The Illusionist, White Material and Blue Valentine, I've got my work cut out for me before Sunday. 3 out of 5 wouldn't be bad.

Honestly, if more Academy members actually SAW The Illusionist, you think it would have a chance.

Can't imagine the older demographic not being affected by it.

Isn't the animated category voted on in the same way as the foreign language? i.e. the voting committee is made to watch all the nominees and vote from there?

In any case, it's certainly more deserving of the Best Picture nom than Toy Story at the very least.

So now, I'm 10 for 10 on seeing BP noms and 76 for 120 on category noms. I'm trying to catch Biutiful later this week, too.

106 for 120, and all of those were in a theater, where they were viewed in the fashion the film maker intended.

It has been noted that I am lucky to live in a market place where I am able to see so many films on the big screen.

Isn't the animated category voted on in the same way as the foreign language? i.e. the voting committee is made to watch all the nominees and vote from there?

In any case, it's certainly more deserving of the Best Picture nom than Toy Story at the very least.

No. Anyone can vote for it.

It's actually a miracle that Spirited Away won if you think about it.

Although Lilo and Stitch wasn't exactly tough competition. If there had been a Pixar release that year THE ZAK! would have been screwed.

106 for 120, and all of those were in a theater, where they were viewed in the fashion the film maker intended.

It has been noted that I am lucky to live in a market place where I am able to see so many films on the big screen.

Nice!

They have been showing all of the "Short" categories at a few local theaters for the last week or two, but I just can't make it to them.

Another Year and Rabbit Hole just came out here, too. Again, not going to make it to those either.

And yes, the more you can see in a theater, the better.

Back
Top Bottom