83rd Annual Acadamy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I realize many are thinking the momentum is leaning towards The King's Stammer, because of the most Academy Nominations. Prior to that, all the momentum was leaning for TSN, it has won most all of the other award competitions. I do think TSN will win SAG ensemble (Best picture) award on Sunday. If TKS wins, that may change my thinking.

Also, with this weighted voting, that could really skew the vote.
Are the 6000 (approx) voters required to vote for all 10 nominees? Ranking them 1 to 10? worst to best?

I can come up with scenarios that give True Grit a real shot to win.

1. go to the official website and read what it says

or

2. don't believe everything you have read on blogs and other hearsay, (just what I tell you)

I respect anyone who enjoyed The King's Speech and that vein of filmmaking, that's cool. It's not my tastes. HOWEVER, when you call it the "fundamental" and "sound" way to make a film, as if that should be the standard to which the objective quality of cinematic storytelling should be based, then I don't know what to say to that... at least phrase it politely. Yes, this encounter has happened more than once in the past week.

Am I looking to pick fights? No, but goddamn it, that movie to me is easily the least interesting and compelling film in the BP block and it's the fucking frontrunner? Really? Who the fuck feels passionate about that movie to the point where they're ready to declare it the most accomplished movie of an entire year? It could've been made 50-60 years ago and would've been just as creatively stagnant and cut-and-dry then. Come on, now.

every year I get in an office pool (with about 40 others), we have about 20 of the categories on our office pool ballot.

I typically get 17-18 correct and win the pool about 1/2 the time.
Best Picture counts no more than editing or any other category.

I thought TSN was a lock. But, after reading your post I am thinking TKS may edge it out. I can see where the old fart contingent plus anti-Hitler group could easily be 30-35 per cent of the 5700 voters.
TSN will be drawing from the same younger pool as Black Swan fans and even 127 Hours fans. Will Inception fans peel off votes from TSN, too?

You could be right about TKS being the Front-runner. It is not my best pic at all.

Colin Firth and King's Speech will win for Best Actor and Picture. I'd be very surprised to see any other challenger take home those two.

Nothing screams "fit for the academy's vote" more than that movie. You can see it a mile off.

So Tom Hooper won Best Feature Film Director at the Directors Guild Award. And apparently the winner of DGA hasn't won Best Director at Oscars on only six occasions.

Obviously, critic love doesn't translate into guild love for TSN so far.

Well, its going to happen for the 7th time this year, Hopper's nom is the pity nom because the film was one of the serious BP contenders. The film succeeds because of the writing and acting, and that cast is always excellent.

Words can not describe how pissed I am right now.

But there are def similarities between Fincher and Scorsese and so this cold shoulder by a bunch of hacks like the DGA shouldn't really surprise me. They fucked Marty so many times before The Departed.

Luckily my brain has the capacity to think about many different things from moment to moment.

I'm not going to be sitting around all day dwelling on it.

If it's meaningless, I wonder why you're taking the time to post in a thread for the Academy Awards.

The time? Killing time is one of the main reasons most people post on forums, and this is one of the more active threads of late. As I've said before the Oscars are a fun enough distraction to follow each year, but I do think it's asinine to ascribe any realimportance to them, or to any art or entertainment "awards" in general. Especially to the point of emotional investment.

The time? Killing time is one of the main reasons most people post on forums, and this is one of the more active threads of late. As I've said before the Oscars are a fun enough distraction to follow each year, but I do think it's asinine to ascribe any realimportance to them, or to any art or entertainment "awards" in general. Especially to the point of emotional investment.

So getting riled up about an award given out isn't killing time as well? I'm not ascribing importance to anything; I'm angered that some nobody won over four talented filmmakers for an Oscar Bait film.

It's still a "distraction" as you put it. It's not going to affect my life.

Dickey the crack addict jumping on stage when Bale got the award was a little odd. Real crack addict stuff.

edit.
Walberg just said he sent him up.

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
The King's Speech
Anthony Andrews, Claire Bloom, Helena Bonham Carter, Jennifer Ehle, Colin Firth, Michael Gambon, Derek Jacobi, Guy Pearce, Geoffrey Rush and Timothy Spall
Not happy about this.

But fuck yeah about this:
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire
Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Kelly MacDonald, Michael Shannon, Shea Whigham, Aleksa Palladino, Michael Stuhlbarg, Stephen Graham, Vincent Piazza, Paz de la Huerta, Michael Kenneth Williams, Gretchen Mol, Paul Sparks, Anthony Laciura, and Dabney Coleman
There's something seriously wrong in all this shit.
One moment The Social Network is THE FILM to win everything and out of nowhere The King's Speech starts to get every possible award. What the hell?
I mean... it's an pretty, well-acted film, but still quite an "normal" one in that sense.
Well, whatever...

I really expected The Fighter to win best ensemble, if not TSN. This is the kind of thing everyone was expecting from The King's Speech before TSN swept everything in it's path, it's like either everyone has reverted to the admittedly good Oscar bait expected-frontrunner so as to not have every award be unanimous.

Words can not describe how pissed I am right now.

But there are def similarities between Fincher and Scorsese and so this cold shoulder by a bunch of hacks like the DGA shouldn't really surprise me. They fucked Marty so many times before The Departed.

Yeah... but AMPAS also fucked him over every time out until The Departed.

This happens every year, I don't know why it should suddenly upset every one to such a degree.

One moment The Social Network is THE FILM to win everything and out of nowhere The King's Speech starts to get every possible award. What the hell?

It just goes to show that the film adored by the critics will not necessarily be loved by other groups.

I still think it's down to "heart" and likability and people voting for TKS because, lord knows why, they just love the movie.

Maybe The Social Network would have fared better if it had a scene where Zuckerberg has a life-changing epiphany and weeps on the phone to Eduardo :rolleyes:

And no way did TKS deserve Best Ensemble, Firth and Rush were fantastic but it's basically a two-actors show.

If we needed any more proof that the critics know more about film or have better taste than the people that actually work in the industry, this is it.

Back
Top Bottom