24 fans and Sleeper Cell fans - BBC America has Britz for your consideration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
BBC America - Britz

sohail.jpg

Sohail (Riz Ahmed, The Road to Guantanamo) is an ambitious law undergraduate whose desire to assimilate into every aspect of contemporary British culture drives him into the open arms of MI5. His first assignment is to help track down a terrorist cell linked to the London Tube bombings of July 7th. The inquiry leads him back to his hometown of Bradford in Northern England where no one, not even his closest friends, are above suspicion.

nasima.jpg

Unlike her brother, Nasima, (Manjinder Virk, Bradford Riots), a medical student in Leeds, is deeply suspicious of the British establishment and spends much of her time campaigning against, what she considers to be, repressive government policies. She witnesses first-hand the relentless targeting of her Muslim neighbors and finds herself increasingly alienated by the British Government's domestic policy.

I remember watching this a while ago when it was on, it's only a two part drama isn't it? Well worth the watch, anyway, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Yes, it is a two-parter, about 4 hours.

it hits BBC America tonight

It will probably be too nuanced for Americans that have been spoon fed the Alias and 24 programs.

The BBC production of Traffik, was so much better than the American film Traffic.

I do think it's a terrible shame when they do that - not because I'm british and would rather see the british version, but because it always loses something in the translation somehow? I liked the film Traffic, but the series was a landmark in UK television.

I think, if people gave this a try, they'd like it. Regardless of whether they're british or not.

I did watch part one on my DVR last night, 2.5 hours.

This really is not for 24 fans.

There was only one little torture scene. No explosions, only one person died in 2.5 hours.

However, it is great television. This is a behind the scenes look at a Brit, born of Pakistani immigrants.

One often wonders how people end up doing the things they do, what the consequences of the War on Terror really are.

How things appear from the perspective of 'the other'.

This is not propaganda, to win sympathy for one perspective over another.

It is just done is a very believable way to let the viewer get the 'back story' on why one does what one does.

Yes, it is a two-parter, about 4 hours.

it hits BBC America tonight

It will probably be too nuanced for Americans that have been spoon fed the Alias and 24 programs.

The BBC production of Traffik, was so much better than the American film Traffic.

Have to disagree on that one, perhaps the concept wasn't new but what Soderbergh did with that movie is incredible, and features some of the best acting of the decade, best picture 2000 by far. Not to say Traffik wasn't also compelling, I don't think its up to the level of say State of Play (which likely won't be as good as a movie).

My small American brain can only take Jack Bauer single-handedly saving the country from terrorists in a day, but this might be cool to check out.

Brit dramas most always deliver the goods.

The L A Times had an article on it that included a reference to 24.

They are quite different, the second part was the sister's story.

After watching it and the epilogue, I will have to say it does seem to be a bit sympathetic to the grievances of Muslims.

It is more of a dramatic piece than an action, it is worth watching.

Have to disagree on that one, perhaps the concept wasn't new but what Soderbergh did with that movie is incredible, and features some of the best acting of the decade, best picture 2000 by far. Not to say Traffik wasn't also compelling, I don't think its up to the level of say State of Play (which likely won't be as good as a movie).

My guess is that you watch Traffic first.

Back
Top Bottom