2014 Top Ten Movies...which ones got "Under the Skin"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleoscar

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
It might be slight premature for me but I saw a shitload of movies this year so I can come up with a list. I haven't seen some of the foreign films like Leviathan so that'll have to be for next year. It's a mix of popular and smaller movies which is how my preferences tend to go.

1. The Raid 2: Berandal
2. The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies
3. American Sniper
4. Whiplash
5. Ida
6. The Imitation Game
7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
8. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
9. Boyhood
10. Interstellar

Honorable mentions:

Jodorowsky's Dune
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Immigrant
Chef
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Trip to Italy
Wild
Birdman
The Theory of Everything
Locke
Finding Vivian Maier
A Walk among the Tombstones
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Nightcrawler
The Congress
Selma

Movies I wanted to throw my popcorn at:

The Amazing Spiderman 2
The Two faces of January
Inherent Vice
Noah
Fury

What your favourites Interference?

A little early for me but I'll get back to this thread in a month or so. There's still another 20 or so movies I need to see, mostly international.

I'll keep a draft in here since it's very much a work in progress, and the next two months are always jam packed with films from the previous year. Especially this year as it's been the busiest of my life and I've probably only seen a quarter the amount of new films I usually do. As such I'm still missing some I've been really looking forward to like Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2, Tokyo Tribe, Two Days One Night, John Wick (which I actually have to see this weekend and fully anticipate breaking the top 10), Goodbye to Language 3D, The Strange Little Cat, American Sniper which I'm seeing Tuesday, etc.

As it stands:

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Mr. Turner
Annabelle
Godzilla
Under the Skin
Nightcrawler
Listen Up, Philip
As Above, So Below
Gone Girl

I'll keep a draft in here since it's very much a work in progress, and the next two months are always jam packed with films from the previous year.

That's totally apt. In the end lists aren't in stone and can be great in that you can see what you might have missed by looking at other people's lists.

I'll keep a draft in here since it's very much a work in progress, and the next two months are always jam packed with films from the previous year. Especially this year as it's been the busiest of my life and I've probably only seen a quarter the amount of new films I usually do. As such I'm still missing some I've been really looking forward to like Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2, Tokyo Tribe, Two Days One Night, John Wick (which I actually have to see this weekend and fully anticipate breaking the top 10), Goodbye to Language 3D, The Strange Little Cat, American Sniper which I'm seeing Tuesday, etc.

As it stands:

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Mr. Turner
Annabelle
Godzilla
Under the Skin
Nightcrawler
Listen Up, Philip
As Above, So Below
Gone Girl

Surprised at the lack of foreign language here, especially for you.

Yeah I've seen very little, but particularly this year surprisingly little of it caught my attention ahead of time anyway.

I also have more to see, but this is where I stand right now.

Whiplash
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Frank
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Birdman
The Lego Movie
The Snow White Murder Case
Jodorowsky's Dune
Book of Life
Still Alice/Maze Runner, not sure which

Having seen and rewatched a few more movie this week, I've thought to make a few changes. Saw American Sniper which reminded me Jersey Boys was actually a 2014 film as well. With all the talk of the former I had completely forgotten that these two came out in the same year. Which in turn reminded me of Maps to the Stars, both of which I saw much earlier in the year and adored. So there.

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Mr. Turner
Jersey Boys
Annabelle
Godzilla
Maps to the Stars
Gone Girl
Under the Skin
Nightcrawler

Alright, I'm finally ready. I'm sure I'll see more, but Oscar is always my go-to cutoff point, where I know it's time to stop for now:

1. Whiplash - 10/10
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel - 9/10
3. Frank - 9/10
4. The Tale of Princess Kaguya - 9/10
5. Birdman - 8.5/10
6. Nightcrawler - 9/10
7. The Imitation Game - 8.5/10
8. Leviathan - 9/10
9. The Lego Movie - 8.75/10
10. Jodorowsky's Dune - 8.5/10

And the next five because I really loved them:

11. The Snow White Murder Case - 8.5/10
12. Book of Life - 8.5/10
13. Interstellar - 8/10
14. Two Days, One Night - 8.5/10
15. Big Hero 6 - 8/10

Big Hero 6 absolutely was the final nail in deciding that this is probably my favorite year for animated films ever. 1994 may have had Lion King, but all of Kaguya, Book of Life, The Lego Movie, Big Hero 6, How to Train Your Dragon and The Boxtrolls is just a wealth of all formats the genre can now come in and they were unique and special and it made me incredibly happy to see that a genre that I love is still evolving to this day. There's so much magic in the world of animation, and I was beginning to think that perhaps the well had run dry and we would never see anything as great as the early days again. How glad I was to be wrong.

I'm nowhere near done with this year, but the Academy Awards seem like a good cutoff point for now:

1. Whiplash
2. Birdman
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Frank
5. Nightcrawler
6. We Are the Best!
7. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
8. Leviathan
9. The Babadook
10. Two Days, One Night
11. Interstellar
12. Selma
13. The Imitation Game
14. The Guardians of the Galaxy
15. Jodorowsky’s Dune

1. I Origins (Mike Cahill, USA)
2. Force Majeure (Ruben Östlund, Sweden)
3. The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya (Isao Takahata, Japan)
4. Mr. Turner (Mike Leigh, UK)
5. Mommy (Xavier Dolan, Canada)
6. Calvary (John Michael McDonagh, Ireland/UK)
7. The Congress (Ari Folman, Israel/France)
8. Interstellar (Christopher Nolan, USA)
9. Birdman (Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, USA)
10. The Immigrant (James Gray, USA)

H.M.: Inherent Vice; La Fille du 14 Juillet; A Most Violent Year; Nightcrawler; A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night; Norte, The End Of History; Snowpiercer; Under The Skin; Ida; Selma; Whiplash; Boyhood; The Grand Budapest Hotel; The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby (Her/Him); Tom At The Farm; Into The Woods; A Most Wanted Man; The Missing Picture

Acting citations: Suzanne Clément, Anne Dorval (Mommy); Emily Blunt, Chris Pine (Into The Woods); Brendan Gleeson (Calvary); Joaquin Phoenix, Josh Brolin, Katherine Waterston (Inherent Vice); Timothy Spall (Mr. Turner); David Oyelowo (Selma); Oscar Isaac, Jessica Chastain (A Most Violent Year); Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Emma Stone (Birdman); Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix (The Immigrant); Matthew McConaughey (Interstellar); Robin Wright (The Congress); Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo (Nightcrawler); Agata Kulesza (Ida); Jessica Chastain (The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby); Ralph Fiennes (The Grand Budapest Hotel)

Mr. Turner
Mommy
The Immigrant
A Most Violent Year
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
The Missing Picture

I need to see these before I can call my own list anywhere near complete.

As Lance knows all too well, Mommy got shafted by the Academy.

Back
Top Bottom