2014 Oscars Extravaganza!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After hearing his rambling, self-absorbed I-am-my-own-greatest-hero-thank-god-and-daddy-in-his-underwear mess of a speech, no, I don't think I need to hear nine more minutes.

Did you read what I said about the speech? If you like film as an art form and enjoy what he does on the screen, the after speech is worth viewing..and it's certainly not 9 more minutes of the same.

Yes, I read what you said.

I wasn't offended, garrison, just annoyed by his personality.

So you read what I said, and decided still that you were so overly annoyed by his personality that you can't take another second of hearing him speak, even though it wasn't the same subject matter at all?

Just wondering, do you enjoy his films?

I like his work, yes, but I'm not that interested in his after speech, or anyone else's really, don't have time, catching a plane, etc. Don't make a federal case out of it.

Jesus, I also said I'm not that interested in after speeches. But I'm glad you enjoyed it and all that good stuff. :up:

Both the acceptance speech and the after speech were great, thoroughly enjoyed them.

And I'm not even a god-thanker. (Far from it, in fact lol). His faith is a sidebar to me and I'd expect no less of a statement from someone who believes, but it's his respect and love for his family and colleagues that shine through for me. I dug what he said about holding out a projection of what one thinks they can possibly be but never quite attain as something to strive for, also. I didn't read that as him being overly haughty, at all.

Rolling Stone has it pretty high on their list of "Best and Worst Oscar Moments"...as a Best..I agree with this.

Oscars 2014's 25 Best and Worst Moments Pictures - BEST: Matthew McConaughey's All Right, All Right, All Right Speech | Rolling Stone

Having just lost my Dad suddenly a couple of weeks ago, I found McConaughey's speech somewhat comforting. I know that could seem odd, but it is what it is. His Dad meant something to him and his faith is obviously a driving force in his life, I thought it was a genuine heartfelt tribute to his Dad, who (if anything like mine) is probably a larger than life character who brought much joy to his life and was possibly also a driving force in his career and life.

I haven't been the best person of faith myself, im ridiculously flawed in many many ways. I just hold hope that there will be some redemption for me someday as I do try to do some good in this mess of a life. There is beauty out there to be found in the smallest of things.

Never was too big of a McConaughey fan until I watched 'Dallas Buyers Club' and then True Detective. I mean seriously, has he always been this good of an actor and ive been missing out? Or am I just crazy...

The performance in DBC was pretty awesome (same goes for Leto and others) and the subject matter is very serious and sad. For that matter I will give props to Leto's Oscar speech as well. Very well said and well done.

McConaughey likely set the bar for himself, and held himself to impossible standards that he will likely chase for his entire career, if im reading into his comments a certain way. And if so, he sure has lived up to it with his recent work. If that's the case, the next ten years for him out to really be interesting.

Oh my God. I made a joke last night about people complaining that the female category comes first, making it ever so slightly lower on the totem pole of awards.... I cannot believe I'm actually reading this now.

Actually, they tend to alternate the order each year. And sometimes the Directing award is the last one before Picture.

Never was too big of a McConaughey fan until I watched 'Dallas Buyers Club' and then True Detective. I mean seriously, has he always been this good of an actor and ive been missing out? Or am I just crazy...

no, you are not alone on this one. To me Matthew was always same old dime a dozen love comedy type of actor. After seeing him in DBC and True Detective I wondered when he all of a sudden learned how to act...I mean really act. Or maybe someone finally thought him how to start selecting better roles.

p.s. sorry about your loss :hug:

2f02171a-2998-4f79-940e-d03825779213_zps787c015e.jpg

Someone needs to photoshop you over Cumberbatch photobombing U2.

Why does someone thanking God offend someone else?

I wasn't offended by any stretch - my reaction was a silly one, as McConaughey didn't strike me as someone who would thank God in an acceptance speech.

But what the hell do I know about McConaughey beyond naked bongos and "All right all right all riiiiight"? Very little. :wink:

(Also, very sorry for your loss.)

The performance in DBC was pretty awesome (same goes for Leto and others) and the subject matter is very serious and sad. For that matter I will give props to Leto's Oscar speech as well. Very well said and well done.

McConaughey likely set the bar for himself, and held himself to impossible standards that he will likely chase for his entire career, if im reading into his comments a certain way. And if so, he sure has lived up to it with his recent work. If that's the case, the next ten years for him out to really be interesting.

I am a pretty strong agnostic myself and did not find anything he said off-putting at all. I did not find it preachy at all. I think he has always been good. Check out Mud, that is great work from him. Leo and Sean Penn have had some bush league roles and some great ones. Let's hope MM gets better roles to display his fine talents. An actor like Bradley Cooper really is not that good, the right role might put a spot-light on him.

As for striving to be his own hero, I think the fact that he sets standards for himself has made him a better person. I did not know that much about him until recently. But it appears he has not led a selfish, self indulgent life like so many other celebrities have. At the end of the day it comes down to the art. and his art (talent) is certainly top notch.

I don't know if you had mentioned that before, but sorry to hear that. :hug:

Glad you were able to find a moment of comfort since. Doesn't matter where it comes from, does it? I can't imagine how hard these past days have been for you.

Thanks. No I hadn't mentioned it before and honestly hadn't planned on it really. I'll take any comfort where I can get it...you are correct though the last few days have been unreal.

Very sorry to hear this.
I've been through it, and its not easy.

Thank you, and yes, its not easy nothing can prepare you for it, ever. Of course we all have to go through it at some point. Id give anything to have put it off another 10 years though.

no, you are not alone on this one. To me Matthew was always same old dime a dozen love comedy type of actor. After seeing him in DBC and True Detective I wondered when he all of a sudden learned how to act...I mean really act. Or maybe someone finally thought him how to start selecting better roles.

p.s. sorry about your loss :hug:

Thank You.
I would be tempted to go back and watch some of his early roles but im sure I wouldn't want to. It could be that he's made his fortune and now he just wants to expand his talent and/or doesnt have to take the "fluff" roles anymore.

Someone needs to photoshop you over Cumberbatch photobombing U2.

I wasn't offended by any stretch - my reaction was a silly one, as McConaughey didn't strike me as someone who would thank God in an acceptance speech.

But what the hell do I know about McConaughey beyond naked bongos and "All right all right all riiiiight"? Very little. :wink:

(Also, very sorry for your loss.)

I am a pretty strong agnostic myself and did not find anything he said off-putting at all. I did not find it preachy at all. I think he has always been good. Check out Mud, that is great work from him. Leo and Sean Penn have had some bush league roles and some great ones. Let's hope MM gets better roles to display his fine talents. An actor like Bradley Cooper really is not that good, the right role might put a spot-light on him.

As for striving to be his own hero, I think the fact that he sets standards for himself has made him a better person. I didn't not know that much about him until recently. But it appears he has not led a selfish, self indulgent life like so many other celebrities have. At the end of the day it comes down to the art. and his art (talent) is certainly top notch.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just looked up Mud on imbd and it sounds pretty good, also its from 2012, which means it could be part of his renaissance.

I think hearing him make such comments about his faith really drives home just how good an actor he is, when you contrast that with the roles he's played recently, especially in True Detective. He's really at the other end of the belief spectrum in that role..and he does it so damn convincingly..

I thought he was good in Lincoln Lawyer also.

Eta: fuck me, he's not returning to True Detective :sad: http://m.rollingstone.com/movies/ne...rning-for-season-2-of-true-detective-20140303

McConaughey has had his fair share of decent dramatic roles, going back as far as "A Time to Kill", I think people just tend to associate him most (until now of course) with roles like Wooderson and stories of naked bongo playing.

Back
Top Bottom