2014 Oscars Extravaganza! - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #436
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post

Never was too big of a McConaughey fan until I watched 'Dallas Buyers Club' and then True Detective. I mean seriously, has he always been this good of an actor and ive been missing out? Or am I just crazy...

The performance in DBC was pretty awesome (same goes for Leto and others) and the subject matter is very serious and sad. For that matter I will give props to Leto's Oscar speech as well. Very well said and well done.

McConaughey likely set the bar for himself, and held himself to impossible standards that he will likely chase for his entire career, if im reading into his comments a certain way. And if so, he sure has lived up to it with his recent work. If that's the case, the next ten years for him out to really be interesting.
I am a pretty strong agnostic myself and did not find anything he said off-putting at all. I did not find it preachy at all. I think he has always been good. Check out Mud, that is great work from him. Leo and Sean Penn have had some bush league roles and some great ones. Let's hope MM gets better roles to display his fine talents. An actor like Bradley Cooper really is not that good, the right role might put a spot-light on him.

As for striving to be his own hero, I think the fact that he sets standards for himself has made him a better person. I did not know that much about him until recently. But it appears he has not led a selfish, self indulgent life like so many other celebrities have. At the end of the day it comes down to the art. and his art (talent) is certainly top notch.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
I don't know if you had mentioned that before, but sorry to hear that.

Glad you were able to find a moment of comfort since. Doesn't matter where it comes from, does it? I can't imagine how hard these past days have been for you.
Thanks. No I hadn't mentioned it before and honestly hadn't planned on it really. I'll take any comfort where I can get it...you are correct though the last few days have been unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Very sorry to hear this.
I've been through it, and its not easy.
Thank you, and yes, its not easy nothing can prepare you for it, ever. Of course we all have to go through it at some point. Id give anything to have put it off another 10 years though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGD75 View Post
no, you are not alone on this one. To me Matthew was always same old dime a dozen love comedy type of actor. After seeing him in DBC and True Detective I wondered when he all of a sudden learned how to act...I mean really act. Or maybe someone finally thought him how to start selecting better roles.

p.s. sorry about your loss
Thank You.
I would be tempted to go back and watch some of his early roles but im sure I wouldn't want to. It could be that he's made his fortune and now he just wants to expand his talent and/or doesnt have to take the "fluff" roles anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Someone needs to photoshop you over Cumberbatch photobombing U2.

I wasn't offended by any stretch - my reaction was a silly one, as McConaughey didn't strike me as someone who would thank God in an acceptance speech.

But what the hell do I know about McConaughey beyond naked bongos and "All right all right all riiiiight"? Very little.

(Also, very sorry for your loss.)
Thanks

Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #438
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I am a pretty strong agnostic myself and did not find anything he said off-putting at all. I did not find it preachy at all. I think he has always been good. Check out Mud, that is great work from him. Leo and Sean Penn have had some bush league roles and some great ones. Let's hope MM gets better roles to display his fine talents. An actor like Bradley Cooper really is not that good, the right role might put a spot-light on him.

As for striving to be his own hero, I think the fact that he sets standards for himself has made him a better person. I didn't not know that much about him until recently. But it appears he has not led a selfish, self indulgent life like so many other celebrities have. At the end of the day it comes down to the art. and his art (talent) is certainly top notch.
Thanks for the recommendation. I just looked up Mud on imbd and it sounds pretty good, also its from 2012, which means it could be part of his renaissance.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #439
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 05:36 AM
2014 Oscars Extravaganza!

I think hearing him make such comments about his faith really drives home just how good an actor he is, when you contrast that with the roles he's played recently, especially in True Detective. He's really at the other end of the belief spectrum in that role..and he does it so damn convincingly..

I thought he was good in Lincoln Lawyer also.

Eta: fuck me, he's not returning to True Detective http://m.rollingstone.com/movies/new...ctive-20140303

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #440
Blue Crack Addict

McConaughey has had his fair share of decent dramatic roles, going back as far as "A Time to Kill", I think people just tend to associate him most (until now of course) with roles like Wooderson and stories of naked bongo playing.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #441
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Leo and Sean Penn have had some bush league roles and some great ones.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #442
Ghost of Love

A Time To Kill

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote