2014 Oscars Extravaganza!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm trying to think of comparable Hollywood comeback stories to the McConaissance. Only thing I can come up with is, let's call it the Travoltaissance of the mid-late 90s. Pulp Fiction, Get Shorty, Broken Arrow, Face/Off, Primary Colors, etc. Nominated for an Oscar for Pulp Fiction.

Winner

@rickygervais: Did anyone thank God for AIDS & Slavery so they could one day win Oscars for films about it?

Yes, actually. That one woman awkwardly said she was thankful for AIDS. Then she corrected herself quickly to explain that she meant she was thankful that she could be part of telling their story.

The woman on the stage next to her had a hilariously awkward look on her face.

Not gonna go back to read, but I'm sure you guys covered this:

The most WHAT THE FUCK moment of the night, and maybe the biggest one I've ever seen at the Oscars, was Travolta butchering Idina Menzel's name. Holy shit. I couldn't stop laughing about that for a good 20 minutes. What the fuck is he on?

Adele Dazim. Wow. Just wow.

Other highlights included Emma Watson.

The most WHAT THE FUCK moment of the night, and maybe the biggest one I've ever seen at the Oscars, was Travolta butchering Idina Menzel's name. Holy shit. I couldn't stop laughing about that for a good 20 minutes. What the fuck is he on?

Adele Dazim. Wow. Just wow.

Other highlights included Emma Watson.

Yes that was funny. He looked totally hooped up there.

So like... I'm not understanding why everyone seems upset about Let it Go winning. It was pretty obvious it was going to win, and I'm not sure why anyone would say it's the worst...

Benghazi

Isn't Travolta dyslexic?

12 Years, bitches.

This is me jumping for joy when it won BP, courtesy of one of my friends:

2f02171a-2998-4f79-940e-d03825779213_zps787c015e.jpg

My other fav win of the night was The Great Beauty, but that wasn't as tense so I didn't get airborne.

You do seem to complain about women who take issue with sexism a lot, just saying.

I don't see anything in that article outrageous enough to warrant your reaction.

Not going to argue with that, but the above suggestion sounds stupid to me, and would no doubt lead to articles complaining if, say, men won three years in a row.

I don't see a problem with a male and female category. I think perhaps releasing the female category after the male category might shut everyone up in that case. I did think about that and how the order could seem sexist. I don't think that's the intention.

Only 4 wrong in my Oscar pool. And to be fair... I knew U2 wouldn't win. True fandom meant I had to pick em.

These ones were wrong.
Short Film, Animated
Short Film, Live Action
Original Song
Documentary Feature

Cobs, I don't particularly care about the categories of Oscar voting but I do think any exasperated explanation of anything that ends with, "because then women would cry sexism" is a little bit troubling. Not because that end may or may not happen, but because it frames the potential "false cry" of sexism as more problematic than actual sexism.

@U2BROTHER: :hug:

I don't see a problem with a male and female category. I think perhaps releasing the female category after the male category might shut everyone up in that case. I did think about that and how the order could seem sexist. I don't think that's the intention.

Oh my God. I made a joke last night about people complaining that the female category comes first, making it ever so slightly lower on the totem pole of awards.... I cannot believe I'm actually reading this now.

If it's that troubling you can always watch him talk after the show for 9 minutes with nary a mention of it

After hearing his rambling, self-absorbed I-am-my-own-greatest-hero-thank-god-and-daddy-in-his-underwear mess of a speech, no, I don't think I need to hear nine more minutes.

Back
Top Bottom