2012 Primetime Emmys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I'm actually considering not watching it. I haven't missed one of the major award shows in years. I'm just not feeling it.

......... what is wrong with me? :(

I don't watch about 95% of the shows that are nominated nonight, but yet I'm still watching. I'm a sucker for awards shows. :lol:

I don't know what's wrong with you, cori. I am disappoint. :tsk:

Ha.

There's only one category I hold any sort of interest in-the variety program/late night/whatever category (so many of the other categories have shows I've yet to see, though I'm certainly familiar with many of the people nominated). But I'm watching it anyway just 'cause there's nothing else on right now.

Spoilering the next bit for those who may not have seen this yet what with time zone differences and all.

I'm just wondering if I need to build a shelter or something to protect myself from the outraged reactions that are sure to start flying what with Jon Cryer winning best actor :uhoh:.

I'd say this was the most wrong-headed of any of the major awards shows, but then one has to remember the Grammys.

These voters/members show a pathetic lack of imagination year after year, a "club" that takes people way too long to get into, and then even then have to go up against perennial winners, who win again and again for doing the Same. Fucking. Thing.

How Louie was nominated for acting, writing, and directing, but not comedy series baffles me. The rest of the formulaic, tired network shows aren't fit to hold Louie's jockstrap.

At least he won one out of his three nominations, and at least it was for what it deserved the most--writing. That's not to say that his direction isn't better then the rest, because it easily is.

And I love Aaron Paul, but just...no. Not against Esposito or Harris.

That unfunny toad Jimmy Kimmel makes my skin crawl, I can barely stomach watching most of this garbage.

You mean the 64th Annual prime time Modern Family Awards thread, right?

:lol: Sure seems like it, right?

This is the first time I'm watching this in many years. I just wanted to see if Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones would win again after winning last year. He didn't, though.

ETA: That Tracy Morgan bit gets the Emmy for the most unfunny moment in an award show.

:up: for Aaron Paul, but man, Esposito put in some of the greatest acting performances I've ever seen in Breaking Bad's fourth season.

But the credibility of the Emmys obviously goes down the toilet when Jon fucking Cryer from one of the worst TV shows ever beats Louis CK.

Oh, yeah, I could share a couple personal gripes regarding the Emmys, to be sure :wink:. Normally I don't watch awards shows unless someone I like is nominated for something. I get the appeal of them to people who love award show season, but it's no secret they all could stand to break out of the mold a LOT more often with their nominations and wins.

Anywho, so this Damian Lewis guy who just spoke a little while ago? He seems really nice. I liked his speech, it was sweet.

I had no idea Damian Lewis was British! I love Homeland. Can't wait for it to come back next week!

I ended up turning it on, but I'm about ready to watch something else.

Jessica Lange looks amazing.

My Mad Men and Breaking Bad loyalties are torn.

I'll root for Homeland.

Edit: HUZZAH!

I really hope Modern Family doesn't win. I thought it was great the first season, still good the second, and then it just stopped being funny. Deleted it off my DVR.

Homeland is good, but not that good to take all the big wins in its first year.

I will say with these voters it does help to be adapted from an Israeli TV series.

I'm not complaining it was recognized, that is got nominations. I was disappointed The Good Wife was left out for drama this year. But looking at the 6 noms, I can't say there is one crap nom there.

What I am saying is that it is not that good to clean sweep the top 3 categories.

Also, I think Game Change got way too many wins.

Ooh, agree about Good Wife. I hadn't even thought of that. Love that show.

Also, comedy winner:

:|

I'd say this was the most wrong-headed of any of the major awards shows, but then one has to remember the Grammys.

These voters/members show a pathetic lack of imagination year after year, a "club" that takes people way too long to get into, and then even then have to go up against perennial winners, who win again and again for doing the Same. Fucking. Thing.

How Louie was nominated for acting, writing, and directing, but not comedy series baffles me. The rest of the formulaic, tired network shows aren't fit to hold Louie's jockstrap.

At least he won one out of his three nominations, and at least it was for what it deserved the most--writing. That's not to say that his direction isn't better then the rest, because it easily is.

And I love Aaron Paul, but just...no. Not against Esposito or Harris.

That unfunny toad Jimmy Kimmel makes my skin crawl, I can barely stomach watching most of this garbage.

I wouldn't be too upset for Louie, at least he got 3 emmys.
That should really improve his chances of getting that Tonight Show gig.

As for the club that takes years to break in to. Homeland wins the big 3 first time out? I have my own theory on that one.

And Jesse winning over Gus, as a BB fan I won't bitch about that.

Aaron Paul's life is looking pretty good these days.

64th+Annual+Primetime+Emmy+Awards+Arrivals+9PKBq56jwq1l.jpg

I think this article says it all...

It is time to give up on the Emmys. Really, truly, once and for all. The media and the nation must stop paying attention. The television industry could show its solidarity by surrendering all the statuettes, heaving them into a yawning crucible and smelting them. The liquid scrap metal could be recast into one Prius-sized Emmy to be shared by Julia-Louis Dreyfus and Jon Stewart, who were the only people to show rebellious verve onstage during an otherwise dismal, predictable show hosted by that deadpan cipher of late night, Jimmy Kimmel. Stewart, accepting the 10th consecutive Emmy for outstanding variety series for “The Daily Show,” acknowledged the exasperating ridiculousness of the exercise.

“Years from now, when the Earth is just a burning husk and aliens visit, they will find a box of these,” Stewart said, holding his Emmy aloft, “and they will know just how predictable these [expletive shows] are.”

2012 Emmys: ‘Homeland’ unseats 'Mad Men’ as telecast drags - The Washington Post

Yeah, can't exactly argue with that article. Agree fully with the part you quoted (it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Jon/Stephen/Jimmy thing was thought up during the show as the result of them sitting there thinking, "You know what, this is boring as hell. Let's do something silly and weird."), as well as this:

Speaking of Cryer, is there an assemblage of words more depressing than “the season premiere of ‘Two and a Half Men’?”

:lol: Oh, dear god, yes. I like the attitude of this writer.

I saw some of it. I've never watched Modern Family, other than snippets here and there. Don't get the fascination. I don't even have HBO or Showtime and I can't be bothered to seek out other sources for these shows. Have never understood the Two and a Half Men thing, even with Charlie Sheen - to me watching Ashton Kutcher is like watching paint dry. And Jon Cryer will just always be Duckie to me.

Only thing that makes it worth watching is the dresses (and jewels). And you can see that on the pre-show (muting is necessary).

Didn't even realize Good Wife wasn't nominated, love that show. Unfortunately they've moved Revenge opposite it on Sunday nights so I'll have to on demand one of them. Did Mad Men win anything? Just looked it up, 17 noms and nothing. Wow.

Mad Men was completely shut out. To be fair, Homeland was the only drama I haven't seen, so I can't comment on its quality. Though given how many people I know love it, I will need to check it out. I was just disappointed because I thought Season 4 of Breaking Bad was fantastic. It has never won, and I really thought it was due.

I don't watch any of the comedies except The New Girl, but the episodes of Modern Family I have seen are quite funny.

Back
Top Bottom