2010 in Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
The discussion sparked in the Awards Season thread and I thought it deserved its own spot. So here we can discuss what we're most looking forward to this coming year and all that jazz. I'll port over my Top 25 from the other thread:

1. Inception (Dir. Christopher Nolan)
+ Leo DiCaprio, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Cillian Murphy
2. Shutter Island (Dir. Martin Scorsese)
+ Leo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Michelle Williams, Ben Kingsley
3. The Tree of Life (Dir. Terrence Malick)
+ Sean Penn, Brad Pitt
4. True Grit (Dir. Joel & Ethan Coen)
+ Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin
5. Your Highness (Dir. David Gordon Green)
+ Danny McBride, James Franco, Natalie Portman, Zooey Deschanel
6. Kick-Ass (Dir. Matthew Vaughn)
+ Aaron Johnson, McLovin', Nicolas Cage
7. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (Dir. Woody Allen)
+ Naomi Watts, Anthony Hopkins, Josh Brolin, Antonio Banderas
8. Toy Story 3 (Dir. Lee Unkrich)
+ Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Michael Keaton
9. The Talking Cure (Dir. David Cronenberg)
+ Michael Fassbender, Christoph Waltz, Keira Knightley
10. Black Swan (Dir. Darren Aronofsky)
+ Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel
11. Paul (Dir. Greg Mottola)
+ Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen, Kristen Wiig, Jason Bateman
12. Iron Man 2 (Dir. Jon Favreau)
+ Robert Downey Jr., Mickey Rourke, Don Cheadle, Sam Rockwell, Scarlett Johansson
13. The Ward (Dir. John Carpenter)
14. The Social Network (Dir. David Fincher)
+ Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake, Rashida Jones
15. Due Date (Dir. Todd Phillips)
+ Robert Downey Jr., Zach Galifiankis, Michelle Monaghan, Jamie Foxx
16. Howl (Dir. Rob Epstein & Jeffrey Friedman)
+ James Franco, Jon Hamm, Mary-Louise Parker
17. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Dir. Edgar Wright)
+ Michael Cera, Anna Kendrick, Jason Schwartzman, Brandon Routh
18. The Other Guys (Dir. Adam McKay)
+ Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Sam Jackson, Michael Keaton
19. Red (Dir. Robert Schwentke)
+ Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Mary-Louise Parker, John C. Reilly
20. The Rum Diary (Dir. Bruce Robinson)
+ Johnny Depp, Aaron Eckhart, Richard Jenkins
21. Tron Legacy (Dir. Joseph Kosinski)
+ Jeff Bridges, Michael Sheen
22. The Green Hornet (Dir. Michel Gondry)
+ Seth Rogen, Christoph Waltz, Cameron Diaz, Edward James Olmos
23. Solitary Man (Dir. Brian Koppelman & David Levien)
+ Michael Douglas, Danny DeVito, Susan Sarandon, Jesse Eisenberg
24. The Town (Dir. Ben Affleck)
+ Casey Affleck, Rebecca Hall, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner, Chris Cooper
25. The Expendables (Dir. Sly Stallone)
+ Sly Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham, Jet Li[/QUOTE]

1. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick)

2. Enter The Void (Gaspar Noe)

3. Wild Grass (Alain Resnais)

4. A Prophet (Jacques Audiard)

5. And Everything Is Going Fine (Steven Soderbergh)

6. The Dreaming Machine (Satoshi Kon)

7. Face (Tsai Ming-Liang)

8. White Material (Claire Denis)

9. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Edgar Wright)

10. Vengeance (Johnny To)

11. True Legend (Yuen Woo-Ping)

12. Rabbit Hole (John Cameron Mitchell)

13. Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky)

14. Inception (Christopher Nolan)

15. Ondine (Neil Jordan)

16. Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold)

17. Robin Hood (Ridley Scott)

18. The Way Back (Peter Weir)

19. Kick Ass (Matthew Vaughn)

20. The Last Airbender (M. Night Shyamalan)

21. Bodyguards and Assassins (Teddy Chan)

22. Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese)

An important note: The Grandmaster (Wong Kar-Wai), and Assassin (Hou Hsiao-Hsien) would very easily be #2 and #3 respectively if I thought they had any chance of hitting a North American release any time in 2010. Also, for the sake of perspective, my #1 is miles ahead of #2 and the ensuing rest of the list in terms of my anticipation. And likewise, #2 is miles ahead of every below it too in relative terms.

Additionally, a question: What is 2010's highest grosser?

Iron Man 2 or Inception, or does something come out and away as a surprise?

Yeah, I'd have to say Toy Story 3. Kids and older folks will want to see it, older folks who don't want to will have to take their kids, and considering a lot of young adults still have a special place in their heart for the first two, it should do pretty well with the college age crowd.

I hadn't estimated the chances of Toy Story 3 being so huge, but the more I think about the more it makes sense. Of course, I'm also speaking in terms of worldwide gross, which is a much different story. I can't say I know off hand how popular the Toy Story films or even Pixar in general are overseas. Whereas something like Iron Man 2 is sure to do just as well on international markets.

He did We Fuck Alone, for that, which I cannot recommend in anything but a very abstract sense. The Barney short is hilariously Barney-esque (I still don't know how he comes, after fucking that wood chipper, or whatever it was, but I suppose that that's neither here nor there), if that's your sort of thing. Again, worth it as more of a curiosity. Intensely art gallery-aimed, that one.

Love your list LMP, one note though, it's Ben Affleck who's starring in his own movie The Town this time, Casey's not in this one.

And yeah, Toy Story 3 wins the box office battle of the year. Look how Up did as an original film ($700m worldwide and counting), a 15 year franchise with mutli-generational love, a new untapped generation, and 10 years of anticipation? Throw in a start-of-summer-vacation release date, a digital 3D and IMAX 3D release, you have yourself a perfect box office storm.

Shutter Island last on your list, Lance? That's weak as shit, especially when you have a Shamalamadingdong film above it. But I'll forgive you because you had Enter the Void and the Resnais up so high. I'm dying to see those.

precisely why i'll be seeing it. even if 1 was better than 2.

Same here :)

But it could go the other way and they could just be flogging it to death, like what they did with Shrek...the movies where fine it's the little spin off tv shows that kills it.

I'm interested in The Fighter w/Amy Adams, Mark Wahlberg, and Christian Bale because it was filmed partially in my town (if the scene makes it in) and the next town over. Unfortunately I never saw any of the filming or the actors.

Also the Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz movie Knight and Day, which was filmed locally. I've already seen a trailer for it in a theater-hopefully it's not a stinker.

Love your list LMP, one note though, it's Ben Affleck who's starring in his own movie The Town this time, Casey's not in this one.

And yeah, Toy Story 3 wins the box office battle of the year. Look how Up did as an original film ($700m worldwide and counting), a 15 year franchise with mutli-generational love, a new untapped generation, and 10 years of anticipation? Throw in a start-of-summer-vacation release date, a digital 3D and IMAX 3D release, you have yourself a perfect box office storm.

Oh, you're right. Got my hopes up then.

I'm interested in The Fighter w/Amy Adams, Mark Wahlberg, and Christian Bale because it was filmed partially in my town (if the scene makes it in) and the next town over. Unfortunately I never saw any of the filming or the actors.

Also the Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz movie Knight and Day, which was filmed locally. I've already seen a trailer for it in a theater-hopefully it's not a stinker.

Same, although I'm quite disappointed Darren Aronofsky dropped out of directing The Fighter, David O. Russell is a cool filmmaker but this doesn't seem to be his type.

Same, although I'm quite disappointed Darren Aronofsky dropped out of directing The Fighter, David O. Russell is a cool filmmaker but this doesn't seem to be his type.

I think at this point he'd be lucky to finish a film. Also, I can't wait for the Russell/Bale fight tape, holy shit.

If that guy can make Lily Tomlin sound like a raging bitch, imagine what'll happen with Bale? Make sure Kanye's on set that day and we'll have 2009 Quote Meme day.

We have some potential Tuccirape material this year:

In Production

Cat Tale (2010) (in production) (voice) .... Simon
Hectic (2010) (pre-production) .... Gary Goldfarb
Burlesque (2010) (post-production)
Easy A (2010) (post-production) .... Dill Penderghast

Shutter Island last on your list, Lance? That's weak as shit, especially when you have a Shamalamadingdong film above it. But I'll forgive you because you had Enter the Void and the Resnais up so high. I'm dying to see those.

Well, Scorsese's flick looks "weak as shit" so I guess it's fitting.

Also, I guess I'm a cold-hearted bastard who never found very much to like about either Toy Story movie to begin with.

I think you're going to be proven very wrong about Shutter Island. Everyone who has seen it has had good things to say about it, and you're in a minority of people who weren't intrigued by the trailer.

Regardless, still no excuse for putting M. Night higher. That guy is a fucking charlatan.

Also, Toy Story 2 > Toy Story.

I thought that both Toy Story movies were soulless and boring, but I know that I'm in a frighteningly small minority. I think that the trailer for the third film looked really touching, though, so I'm definitely curious.

I saw a much better trailer for what looks to be a far more entertaining animated film, though, before M. Hulot's Holiday, last week, and THIS is a film to be released (at least in Chicago) in 2010 for which I CANNOT wait:

YouTube - A TOWN CALLED PANIC [US trailer]

Nobody else is looking forward to Wolfman? I think it will either be really good or really shit. I'm hoping for the former

If Shutter Island were directed by anyone other than Scorsese I'd seriously be actively staying away from it given everything I know and have seen about it, reviews aside. I think trailers look like shit, I have no faith in the screenwriter, and if the other recent Dennis Lehane film adaptations are any indication of his storytelling in general... yeah, well, no thanks. But that said, it is Scorsese, and he never really disappoints, so that's why it's on the list at all.

As for Shyamalan, the dude's a master craftsman, whatever anyone says. He's a fantastic filmmaker... just a horrible writer and storyteller. Not to mention Avatar: The Last Airbender being one of the most impressive pieces of animated storytelling I've ever experienced, I'd be in anticipation of this film regardless of who's making it.

Nobody else is looking forward to Wolfman? I think it will either be really good or really shit. I'm hoping for the former

I am looking forward to it, too. Then again, I'm also looking forward to Clash of the Titans.

Wow. Delayed double post. I'll take it to say that I'm looking forward to a lot of the other movies mentioned as well, especially Inception and Iron Man 2

Back
Top Bottom