2009 VMAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
The show actually may not be that bad this year. Russell Brand is back as host, and since he was the only decent part of the show last year, I have no doubt he'll be hilarious this year as well. Janet Jackson is opening the show, reportedly, with a tribute to Michael.:heart: Plus, Muse and Green Day are both performing. Both of them should be great. And, the show is back at Radio City in NYC. Granted, it's ridiculous of MTV to even have the VMAs any more since they literally don't play music at all anymore, but the show should at least be marginally better than it has been the past few years.

I said it last year and I'll say it again this year: You cannot have so little respect for music that you only play it behind the credits of The Hills or whatever for 30 or 40 seconds, and then expect the VMAs to do anything but suck and be an embarrassment. I truly think someone there doesn't get it; every year, they trot out some new stage or new format or new venue, in an attempt to improve the show, and it never improves anything. They're trying to fix the show from the outside in and that never works. It's like putting a band-aid on a knife wound to your jugular. If they truly wanted to improve the VMAs, they'd try to do it from the inside out - that is, start playing music again, start trying to be a cutting-edge source for popular music again, a place where indie bands can break through again. Spend a year or two playing music again, becoming a true music channel again, and they'll be 3/4 of the way to fixing the show. The last time the VMAs were any good, imo, was at the end of the 90s, perhaps the first year or two of this decade, and even then it was in a steep decline.

^Oh, I totally agree with you there. I was looking at the VMA thread from last year earlier today, and I thought your post on what you'd do differently if you were in charge of MTV was brilliant.

^Oh, I totally agree with you there. I was looking at the VMA thread from last year earlier today, and I thought your post on what you'd do differently if you were in charge of MTV was brilliant.

Well, thank you :) It was based largely on what VH1 was like in their mid-late 90s "VH1: Music First" era; Behind The Music, VH1 Legends, Storytellers, Pop-Up Video, the first top-100 countdowns, etc, etc. I don't know if you remember that, but it was positively :drool:-worthy.

Well, thank you :) It was based largely on what VH1 was like in their mid-late 90s "VH1: Music First" era; Behind The Music, VH1 Legends, Storytellers, Pop-Up Video, the first top-100 countdowns, etc, etc. I don't know if you remember that, but it was positively :drool:-worthy.

I don't really remember from the first time around because music wasn't really on my radar yet at the time, but I've seen a lot of those shows on VH1 Classic, and it makes me sigh at what VH1 has become as well.

Oh no, the guy everyone knows to be a douchebag just did something that douchebags do. Surprise!

Madonna's speech about Michael was amazing and clearly from the heart, and the MJ tribute has been the best performance so far. Congrats Katy Perry, a dead man just out-performed your overrated, untalented ass. And, WOW, Kanye, what an epic douche.:down:

What happened? I'm seeing "Kanye is a jerk" all over facebook. lol. Is there video?

The real shocker here is that people still give a shit about the VMAs.

I don't watch the VMAs anymore or know much about Taylor Swift's music, but I think it boils down to an adult ruining what must have been a thrilling moment for a young girl. Eh. Time and a place, Kanye.

Madonna's speech about Michael was amazing and clearly from the heart, and the MJ tribute has been the best performance so far. Congrats Katy Perry, a dead man just out-performed your overrated, untalented ass. And, WOW, Kanye, what an epic douche.:down:

I just watched the first 20 minutes. I have to agree about Madonna's speech. Loved it. I fast forwarded thru Katy and Joe, and thru Russell Brand. Watched the first award. And yeah, Kanye. Douchebag of the year :down:

just catching this on the replay

this is the second time I have seen

that lady gaga mess > no talent. what so ever

but, I do like to see drag queens working :up:

Muse and Green Day both fucking rocked, as did Pink. I'm not a huge fan, but I like most of her singles, and that kicked ass that she was able to sing live while flipping and flying mid-air. I also loved Lady Gaga's performance, and I'm not ashamed to say it. She's pretty batshit, but I love the song, and it's got a great message about what the media can do to peoples' lives. I thought it was brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom