2009 Golden Globe Nominations/Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What did he say about Guy Richie and Madonna that had Penelope Cruz looking disgusted and a bunch of almost-boos from the audience? I missed what he said.

He was talking about the recession and how it affected celebrities. Madonna had to let go of one of her servants "Guy Ritchie". Something like that. I have to look for the youtube video. Just classic.!

Ha! That's pretty funny. Watching/hearing the reactions, I thought it was something really offensive or something. I'm surprised that got the reaction it did.

I cringed when he said it. I thought it was obnoxious, and Richie/Madonna's best friends Sting & Trudie were in the audience. I guess my feeling about that is it's too soon to be making fun of their divorce. I understand when you're famous you set yourself up for that kind of thing but even though it wasn't the worst thing that could be said it seemed out of place and without basis, not that I follow celebrity gossip much to even know, but they seemed to be a well-liked couple amongst their celebrity peers. I don't know quite why it rubbed me the wrong way but it did. I guess I just thought it was mean rather than funny, like as though just because Madonna got divorced there must be a joke in there somewhere. Maybe people are just fond of Guy Richie?

Leonardo DiCaprio is fast becoming the Martin Scorcese of acting. Will the poor guy ever win? I thought he should have taken home all the major awards for The Aviator, but that didn't happen. He was fantastic in that role. Sean Penn was my first choice for Best Actor tonight, but he has notoriously unfriendly relationship with the Hollywood Foreign Press, so I wasn't holding my breath. I think Leo should have won, though, over Mickey Rourke. He was brilliant in Revolutionary Road. I'm thrilled Kate took home both awards, and now I really want to see The Reader. I'm beyond excited that Mad Men took home a much deserved best drama series. I was disappointed that January Jones and Jon Hamm didn't pick up the Best Actor/Actress trophies. Hugh Laurie was my second choice for Best Actor, but he's already won twice, so I'm ok with him not winning this year. Also, with all the John Adams love, I'm really thinking I need to see this. I'm a history geek, so I'm pretty sure I'd like it. If any of you have seen it, is it worth the watch? On a shallow note, I agree with those who say that Drew Barrymore's hair looked ridiculous, but her dress was my favorite of the evening. The color, the style, it was gorgeous.:drool:

I don't like Sacha Baron Cohen but I don't find that comment too upsetting... perhaps it's because a lot of British award ceremonies generally have comedians presenting and making such gags.

*see Russell Brand hosting the VMA's*

Leonardo DiCaprio is fast becoming the Martin Scorcese of acting. Will the poor guy ever win? I thought he should have taken home all the major awards for The Aviator, but that didn't happen. He was fantastic in that role. Sean Penn was my first choice for Best Actor tonight, but he has notoriously unfriendly relationship with the Hollywood Foreign Press, so I wasn't holding my breath. I think Leo should have won, though, over Mickey Rourke. He was brilliant in Revolutionary Road.

Leo DID win a Golden Globe for The Aviator. Jamie Foxx won the same year for Ray (musical or comedy category), and went on to take the Oscar.

Ha! That's pretty funny. Watching/hearing the reactions, I thought it was something really offensive or something. I'm surprised that got the reaction it did.

I thought it was pretty funny too. I guess the people who were booing were Sting and Trudie.

I'm glad Kate Winslet seems to be a shoo-in for an Oscar finally. Maybe now she would stop crying or giving dirty looks to those who win over her.

And Ricky Gervais was hilarious!

Maybe now she would stop crying or giving dirty looks to those who win over her.

Say what, now? I've never seen her do that - did she really? Not my Kaaaaaaaaaaaaate!

I did, however, see video of Angelina Jolie giving bitch-face to Anne Hathaway at the Critics' Choice Awards. ha!

As much as I like Leo, I didn't think his Rev Road performance was particularly strong.

Did you review this film?

I didn't either, though I saw it a couple days ago. I thought they were both very good. I think Winslet's been better but she had a few scenes that were up there with her best. Leo didn't do anything particularly interesting, but I did certainly feel his character's pain and struggle.

Say what, now? I've never seen her do that - did she really? Not my Kaaaaaaaaaaaaate!

I remember when she was nominated for "Titanic" and someone else won - I think Helen Hunt. When the name was announced, Kate smiled and politely applauded. But during the acceptance speech, the camera cut away to Kate and she looked as if she wanted to smack around the winner.

As for her crying, she got teary eyed when Helen Mirren won - and not because she was happy for her.

Did you review this film?

I didn't either, though I saw it a couple days ago. I thought they were both very good. I think Winslet's been better but she had a few scenes that were up there with her best. Leo didn't do anything particularly interesting, but I did certainly feel his character's pain and struggle.

I didn't review it here. Would give it a 6 probably. Not crazy about it. I guess it would be mostly due to a weak written adaptation. It sort of just laid all its cards out there from the beginning. It was generally well acted though, and shot nicely. I particularly liked the final scene with the older husband tuning out Bates' character.

I remember when she was nominated for "Titanic" and someone else won - I think Helen Hunt. When the name was announced, Kate smiled and politely applauded. But during the acceptance speech, the camera cut away to Kate and she looked as if she wanted to smack around the winner.

As for her crying, she got teary eyed when Helen Mirren won - and not because she was happy for her.

How do you actually know she wasn't happy for her?

Well, she wasn't smiling. Usually when people are happy for someone, they smile even if they are crying. Kate also looked very disappointed.

I don't think it's unreasonable to look disappointed. I only point and laugh when they're caught rolling their eyes or pouting, or doing anything that just looks like it's good pickins for pointing and laughing. :)

Can we please talk about Emma Thompson. I love her to bits. Do you think she pissed off Dustin? They seemed totally AWKWARD on stage, i think he was totally unimpressed.

That Sally or summat that won the award for a movie that looks terrible (happy go lucky) fuck me she got the award from Johnny Depp and se didn't even go in for a hug or kiss. I would have been all over his ass. It would have been better then getting the bloody award!

That Sally or summat that won the award for a movie that looks terrible (happy go lucky) fuck me she got the award from Johnny Depp and se didn't even go in for a hug or kiss. I would have been all over his ass. It would have been better then getting the bloody award!

lol, yes he looked so good. He cleans up very well :wink: I don't even know who Sally Hawkins is.

Honestly I somewhat enjoyed seeing Brad And Angelina get snubbed (I heard they ignored Ryan Seacrest too but I missed it), they have their butts kissed too much. Maybe Benjamin Button will get shut out at the Oscars too, but I doubt it.

Colin Farrell should really cut the act and grow up. Was that movie really popular in Europe? :huh:

I thought the worst dressed were Renee Zellweger and Maggie Gyllenhaal

Sting scared me

Reuters
updated 9:02 p.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 12, 2009

LOS ANGELES - The Golden Globe for best supporting actor awarded to the late actor Heath Ledger will likely be given to his young daughter Matilda, Ledger's mother Sally Bell said on Monday.

Bell told People magazine in an interview from her home in Perth, Australia that the family was "bursting with pride" over the critical recognition of Ledger's performance as the Joker in Batman thriller "The Dark Knight."

"I should imagine that eventually it will be going to Matilda," Bell said. "At this stage she is only so young, but down the track she will have all these things. It will belong to her because she is part of him."

"The Dark Knight" was released several months after Ledger's death in January 2008 of an accidental prescription drugs overdose.

The movie has garnered Ledger, 28, not only the Golden Globe but also won a Critics Choice Award, a Screen Actors Guild nomination, and he is widely expected to receive an Oscar nomination next week.

The Golden Globe was accepted in Beverly Hills on Sunday by "Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan.

"It is such a fantastic and wonderful legacy for his daughter. Matilda will have so many people who will be able to speak to her about her father's abilities and respect he had in the industry. That is such a wonderful legacy to leave," Bell told People.

Matilda, 3, is the daughter of Ledger and actress Michelle Williams. The couple separated a few months before Ledger's death and Matilda is being raised by Williams.

Ledger's mother said the recognition for Ledger has been an emotional rollercoaster for the family.

"There is a lot of emotion tied up in this and we have to deal with that emotion first before we can relax and enjoy the moment, if you know what I mean," she said.

Colin Farrell should really cut the act and grow up. Was that movie really popular in Europe? :huh:

What did he do that was immature? I know I watched his speech, but I don't remember what he did or said. The movie got great reviews but wasn't a "big" movie by any stretch. I don't know if it was more popular there than here.

But I know more people saw it than Happy Go Lucky! I read some rave reviews of it, but it seems pretty obscure. I guess not for much longer!

I saw him on the red carpet, it was just the same old swearing act, leching, etc :wink:I think he said something on stage about sniffling from a cold and not the reason it used to be. Personally I'm just tired of his schtick.

I never heard of Happy Go Lucky either

The way Winslet went on you'd think she just won an award for saving a life. Silly woman. She makes us Brits cringe every time she opens her gob.

Back
Top Bottom