2009 Golden Globe Nominations/Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, gotcha. I've never been a Colin Farrell fan because he always just looks so ... so ... grubby. But while I didn't love In Bruges like some people did, I thought he was quite good in it, and it made me like him better.

Plus, I've heard about some charitable things he does with kids (I think that's what it was), and that tipped the scales in his favor for me, too.

But he still looks grubby, hot accent or no. ;)

The way Winslet went on you'd think she just won an award for saving a life. Silly woman. She makes us Brits cringe every time she opens her gob.

As an ex-pat I'm with you on that. I think a lot of viewers were sitting at home watching her carry on with that look on their faces like they just sucked on a lemon. I had to change the channel the second time she went up. Now Mickey Rourke's acceptance speech was refreshing, he thanked the appropriate people - Axl Rose, Bruce, director, film company, his dogs...lol.

Farrell's win was probably my favorite of the whole awards. He's really growing into one of my favorite actors. The New World, Miami Vice, In Bruges, all triple-A stellar performances. Glad to see him get some acknowledgment for his work.

The New World was definitely the role where I first squinted at the screen and said "Huh. I guess Colin Farrell isn't so bad!"

God, I love that movie.

Colin Farrell is hot and talented. I was thrilled that he won even though I haven't seen In Bruges, yet. You really have to give the guy credit; he struggled with his alcohol and drug addiction for a long time, but he got help and has been nothing but honest about it. He does do a lot of charity work, especially for kids with special needs. His 5 year old son has something called Angelman's Syndrome which slows down normal growth and development, but he's so proud of him.

The way Winslet went on you'd think she just won an award for saving a life. Silly woman. She makes us Brits cringe every time she opens her gob.

:lol: I'm British and have never met someone who doesn't like Kate Winslet!

It's only an acceptance speech and, to be fair, acceptance speeches are generally pretty cringeworthy :shrug: Considering she's one of the best actresses we've got, give her some damn credit :madwife: :madwife:

The reactions of the Brits in this thread caught me off guard, too. Then I saw a link elsewhere to a column in a British newspaper that's echoing their sentiments, so apparently it's not just the few posters here who had those same thoughts.

Heaven fucking forbid someone actually show some emotion while accepting an award and are a) excited; b) shocked; c) overwhelmed. :rolleyes:

I loved both of Kate's acceptance speeches. I think she was truly and genuinely humbled and surprised. She's been nominated so many times and has never won. She's a brilliant actress, and she was amazing in Revolutionary Road.

I felt more cringe induced when Sally Hawkins received her award. She looked like a concentration camp victim. Her shoulders and elbows are sharp instruments of death.

Please somebody give her a plate of sausages and a protein powder shake!

sallyhawkins_1236783f.jpg

The reactions of the Brits in this thread caught me off guard, too. Then I saw a link elsewhere to a column in a British newspaper that's echoing their sentiments, so apparently it's not just the few posters here who had those same thoughts.

This American was embarrassed for her. :reject: But I still love her. She deserved them and aside from over-the-top acceptance speeches, can do no wrong.

I never knew Kate Winslet was so disliked until I opened this thread. :shrug:

Heaven fucking forbid someone actually show some emotion while accepting an award and are a) excited; b) shocked; c) overwhelmed. :rolleyes:

:up:

Kate was on Oprah Tuesday. Talked about The Reader, and then about Revolutionary Road, with Leo on remote/Skyped in from L.A. Showed the clip of her winning Best Actress.

Oh, gotcha. I've never been a Colin Farrell fan because he always just looks so ... so ... grubby.

That, and I also find him too, I don't know, puppyish. He still looks like an overgrown boy, and not in an endearing way either.

They didn't screen Golden Globes on free-to-air in Australia, :sad: It's a shame, I always find the show entertaining. Will be interesting to see how Slumdog fares at the Oscars.

Speak for yourself! I'm British and i love Kate as do many from here - she's my favourite actress, i adore her, think she's fab&i loved her speeches, so genuine&emotional&i was ecstatic&squealing along with her when i watched her getting her 2 Golden Globes on tv! Everyone from this country should be so proud of her instead of dissin her!

I just don't understand people's criticism of her being that way or anyone being that way, what is their problem with someone getting excited 'cos they finally won&deserved a major award? So many miserable&cynical people around these days, especially in the press.

Bring on the Oscar speech!!!!! :applaud::hyper::love:

Go Kate :dance::bow:

^ i posted that shaking head smilie in the wrong place&don't know how to remove it! It's meant to go right after 'instead of dissin' her' :doh:

It's ridiculous, because she's generally REALLY liked by the British press. But as soon as someone does anything even slightly emotional, they've had it. No one's counting in the fact that she was probably as nervous as hell.

I love Kate and don't care if she gives an even more embarrassing speech at the Oscars when she wins Best Actress :happy:

Back
Top Bottom