2008 MTV VMAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rhinna? Katy Perry? Britany Spears? Mylie Cyrus(anyone with a brain can see that when she turns 18 it'll be adios disney channel hello mtv slut-hood)?

Its Rihanna, Britney Spears, and Miley Cyrus. Pop culture spell-check.

And that will not happen to Miley, I guarantee it.

i thought it was a lame performance too

Who cares? She butchered "Like A Virgin". If Madonna had a grave, she'd be turning in it. Hey, Katy, I'd like to invite you to this site called "Youtube" Type in 'Madonna 1983 VMAs'. That is a performance, not that steaming pile of shit you just phoned in.:|

I wonder why she agreed to do that song. :huh:

Her cover of Like a Virgin wasn't treated as a real performance anyway. She was singing with the house band.

Not really. It's kind of hard to put on a show dedicated to a concept that your own channel has abandoned for regular television broadcasting. The VMAS are in a way a reflection of how the music industry is in a state of flux anyway.

She didn't perform, she just opened the show. Rhianna performed during the show opening.

The only notable thing was that Britney finally won a VMA. I guess she never had before.

Ah okay. Did I miss any classic artists from the 80s or 90s? For the past 15 or 20 min it's been all current hip hop/top 40 whatever.

They're not doing any real flash backs. The only nod to previous performances is the house band is having various singers come up and do snippits of covers. That's all. And those performances aren't really featured or shown in their entirety.

So it's the 25th anniversary and no classic artists?? Wow, what a waste of time! I'm glad I didn't tune in earlier.

So it's the 25th anniversary and no classic artists?? Wow, what a waste of time! I'm glad I didn't tune in earlier.

MTV's target demographic wasn't even alive when Madonna performed in 1985.

Their demographic wasn't even alive in 1989.

One can't help but feel they're watching the TEEN CHOICE AWARDS instead of the 2008 MTV VMAs.

Kid Rock started singing Werewolves of Alabama :barf: and I turned the TV off! Put on some classic Floyd to rid my brain of that crap!

MTV doesn't really care about music history. They could invite past performers back, but why, they're not relevant according to MTV and they're no longer profitable. So it makes sense for them to get current hip and disposable performers to cover legendary songs because these current performers are recognizable by the 14-18 year old demographic MTV caters to and wants.

It's silly for MTV to have an award show for a concept they helped pioneer and then killed when it was abandoned for regular TV broadcasting.

The thing I don't get is... surely there's gotta be young people and even teenagers that are into good new music as well as classic artists! Why can't MTV try to cater to them??? I guess most kids listen to crap!?

I really like them this year!!!
Lil wayne holy crap he makes me hott lol
I think britt only got those cause people wanted to see if she was gonna go mental or something lol, and because her songs are kinda addicting lol and christian has lost so much weight and her boobs shrunk lol

The thing I don't get is... surely there's gotta be young people and even teenagers that are into good new music as well as classic artists! Why can't MTV try to cater to them??? I guess most kids listen to crap!?

If I have to guess....it's because of the internet. The kids with good taste in music...they can d/l what they want whenever they want....they can watch whatever video they want - past, present, future - on youtube whenever they want. I'm guessing that changes the business model for businesses like MTV and VH1. But that doesn't mean they have to just give up like they have.

I remember when Kurt Loder and John Henson actually had some credibility.

If I have to guess....it's because of the internet. The kids with good taste in music...they can d/l what they want whenever they want....they can watch whatever video they want - past, present, future - on youtube whenever they want. I'm guessing that changes the business model for businesses like MTV and VH1. But that doesn't mean they have to just give up like they have.

I remember when Kurt Loder and John Henson actually had some credibility.

I guess they made Kurt stay in the home this year, guys.:(

When good, meaningful music becomes profitable again, MTV will capitalize on it, and then over expose it (see 1992 the year grunge broke) and then move on. MTV, to their credit, has always been about the youth culture anyway. But honestly, if you are over the age of 25 and watched tonight's show you couldn't help but feel old and out of touch. This is the age of young, rich hollywood, TMZ and instant gratification. I couldn't help but felt the musicians played second to the celebrities that were involved with the show. And maybe because Viacom owns everything, I felt like I was watching the Nickelodeon Teen Choice Awards.

Back
Top Bottom