2008 MTV VMAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are they actually live again or tape delayed?
I thought they started tape delaying them about years ago.

I haven't watched them in years but that lineup has to be the worst.

Hoping Britney makes out with Rihanna.

I hate to sound like an old man, but, I truly did used to look forward to the VMA's. Then there came a point where I semi-looked forward to it, and now, you couldn't pay me to watch it.

I'd like to say, "well, it's a generational thing", but, I never stop questing for new music to listen to, so it's not like my tastes have atrophied. I was just at Lolla and enjoyed all three days. I just think what passes for truly mainstream music these days is tough to listen to, be it rock, "alternative", hip-hop, etc. And MTV itself, while "successful" is an abomination to me, along with its buddy VH1.

I just think of all the iconic, brilliant artists that were mainstream back in MTV's hey day. Some of them still are, but they're not what MTV's target audience is listening to. The VMAs back in the days of Madonna, Michael Jackson, U2, Prince, Nirvana, R.E.M, Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, George Michael, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Sure, you have the occasional greats show up, U2 back in 01 or 02, Madonna, RHCP, but, damn, it would've been amazing to have seen them all at the peak of MTV.

They let John Norris out of retirement, so that's cool...:lol:

Wow, what a difference a year makes. It's awesome to see the real Britney back. She looked beautiful, and acted like her old self. I'm so glad she's getting better.

i'm watching it live now. the venue looks like the size of a warehouse, much much smaller than previous years.

i'm watching it live now. the venue looks like the size of a warehouse, much much smaller than previous years.

That's the first thing I noticed, that, and how awful Rihanna is. When you think some of the genius performances in VMA history, it makes that look like some high school talent show thing.

I'm guessing since the venue is the size of a TV studio they're only letting in celebrities? I dont know what they did in previous years.

That's the first thing I noticed, that, and how awful Rihanna is. When you think some of the genius performances in VMA history, it makes that look like some high school talent show thing.

I was curious about a female point of view on this: Even though I am a guy, I am really disgusted with what MTV and the like choose to put at as role models for young girls and women as far as solo female artists go. Rhinna? Katy Perry? Britany Spears? Mylie Cyrus(anyone with a brain can see that when she turns 18 it'll be adios disney channel hello mtv slut-hood)?

I don't know, if I were a female, I'd be so offended and insulted by the fact that our young society has deemed these particular types of female artists to be good, and that corporations like MTV have acquiesced to that fact, when there are artists like Tori Amos, Feist, Fionna Apple, Sarah Mclachlan, Imogen, Bjork, Yael Naim, Alanis Morissette, Norah Jones, etc etc etc out there just to name a few. You get the idea. Doesn't it bother you that slutty 'artists' who make shit music get all the airtime vs intelligent, mature women that create music of depth and substance?

It's why I am of a mixed opinion about Madonna. I think she has put out some really good material in her career(I think Ray Of Light is her best and most mature album), but I think she has also put out some really slutty material in her career, and I think she has been more influential than just about any other woman in music in shaping the way MTV approaches its female output these days.

Anyway, just felt like saying that.

I don't know, if I were a female, I'd be so offended and insulted by the fact that our young society has deemed these particular types of female artists to be good, and that corporations like MTV have acquiesced to that fact, when there are artists like Tori Amos, Feist, Fionna Apple, Sarah Mclachlan, Imogen, Bjork, Yael Naim, Alanis Morissette, Norah Jones, etc etc etc out there just to name a few. You get the idea. Doesn't it bother you that slutty 'artists' who make shit music get all the airtime vs intelligent, mature women that create music of depth and substance?

It's why I am of a mixed opinion about Madonna. I think she has put out some really good material in her career(I think Ray Of Light is her best and most mature album), but I think she has also put out some really slutty material in her career, and I think she has more influential than just about any other woman in music in shaping the way MTV approaches its female output these days.

Tori Amos, Feist, Fionna Apple, Sarah Mclachlan, Imogen, Bjork, Yael Naim, Alanis Morissette, Norah Jones, Madonna are not who MTV market to anymore. They only market to such a small demographic of teenage consumers now. That's why everything they show is so disposable and replaceable a year after it was overexposed on MTV. I remember when Fionna Apple was an MTV darling, but that was over 10 years ago.

The sad thing about MTV is that they just want what is new and marketable and trendy.

It's being shown on MTV2 right now

Weird, it's not on up here, with my Seattle-area cable.

I was surprised to see it's not starting until 9. Like I'm going to stay up past 10 to watch this. I'll watch the first hour, that'll probably be it.

I was curious about a female point of view on this: Even though I am a guy, I am really disgusted with what MTV and the like choose to put at as role models for young girls and women as far as solo female artists go. Rhinna? Katy Perry? Britany Spears? Mylie Cyrus(anyone with a brain can see that when she turns 18 it'll be adios disney channel hello mtv slut-hood)?

It's why I am of a mixed opinion about Madonna. I think she has put out some really good material in her career(I think Ray Of Light is her best and most mature album), but I think she has also put out some really slutty material in her career, and I think she has more influential than just about any other woman in music in shaping the way MTV approaches its female output these days.

It absolutely does. It's why I can't stand most of the newer female artists around right now with the exceptions of Amy Winehouse, Christina Aguilera, Lily Allen, and Corinne Bailey Rae.

As for Madonna, I think certain periods of her career have been misunderstood greatly. (She and U2 are my all-time favorite artists.) I've never viewed anything she's done as "slutty". People like Rihanna, Britney, Katy Perry, even Christina at times, etc. were and are record company puppets who were marketed as American girl next door whores. Madonna was always a woman in complete control of her career. She wrote her own music and always had a message. She didn't let a record company own her sexuality in a way that demeaned her, she owned her own sexuality in a way that said "I'm a woman, I'm a sexual being, and I'll express it in a way that shows I have the power of my own sexuality." She always had a brain and always had something to say. Not to mention, she's one of the greatest performers of all time. None of these girls that claim Madonna as an influence are anything like her, they're low-rent version of what their record companies think she's like.

Hey kids! use a canned beat, dont play an instrument, copy the same song from the other 4 nominees and you too can win best male!

Back
Top Bottom