2008 MTV VMAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I turned on Vh1 this morning for a change instead of CNN as always. Saw this video from Pink... I think it was called So What. It was pretty awful!

Christina Aguilera is set to debut her 'comeback' single at the show... funny, because MTV is running four separate ads on TV, all featuring Britney Spears. An image from Britney's 2001 performance is on a billboard promoting the show in the middle of Times Square, and the night before the awards, MTV is airing "Pieces Of Me: Britney's Best Moments at The VMAs". Still, they've yet to confirm that she is even appearing at the show. I'll assume the Vanguard award goes to her this year. Gotta sting for the actual performers that MTV feels Britney is the only way they can grab an audience.

YouTube - Britney Spears & Russell Brand - MTV VMA 2008 - Spot2

If Britney wins the Vanguard award all the past winners should give theirs back.

Britney Spears will open the show at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday, PEOPLE has learned.

"MTV has long played an important role in my career. How can I not be there to kick off their 25th VMAs?" Spears tells PEOPLE in a statement. "I'm excited to open the entire show, to say hi to my fans and to be nominated."

Spears – who has been nominated 16 times and never won a Moon Man – is up for Best Female Video, Best Pop Video and Video of the Year for "Piece of Me."

It's still not known how she'll open the show. A source confirms that the opening segment will not feature a musical performance by Spears.

Adds MTV Networks Music President Van Toffler: "Britney has done everything from perform with a snake, lock lips with Madonna and prove that what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas," he says, referring to her lackluster performance at the awards show in Sin City last year. "I can't wait to see what she does to kick off this year's show."

YouTube - Britney Spears - Im a Slave 4 U (Live from the 2001 VMA's)

Even though this just happens to be the 25th VMA awards, MTV has shown that they don't really give a shit about their own history. In 2006, when MTV reached its 25th anniversary, MTV didn't even acknowledge that fact on MTV. I think they mentioned it on some other MTV channels, but not on the original channel. So, if U2 or some other relevant artist from the past (excluding Madonna) were to show up, I'd be surprised.
Historically, the show has always been a trainwreck, so that's really nothing new. I'm glad Britney is back on the show, because after this appearance, maybe the world will finally see what Britney is made of. Either she'll come back strong or fuck up hugely.

1467784996.gif

Look, Britney wants everyone to just be happy and smile. Okay? She don't know nothin bout this cruel, cruel world. And the last thing she needs is ridicule. Also, this is a VERY recent picture of Brit-Brit. I think it was taken like 3 weeks ago.

Katy Perry is confirmed to be doing a cover of 'Like A Virgin'. Brit and Madonna famously kissed during this song a few years back. Katy Perry kissed a girl, and liked it. I wonder how that performance will end.

I predict Brit will take home the Video Of The Year award. They're putting the whole show on her shoulders, and if you've been watching TV, the shows producers are talking about Britney like she is MTV. I agree to an extent - aside from Britney, no other performer has been able to make headlines from a performance (stripping one year during her Rolling Stones cover, kissing Madonna, dancing with the snake, and last years bomb).

You can't have the channel suck all the time with actual videos only shown in the end credits of reality shows and then expect the video music awards to not suck. The business that shows how little importance they put on music by airing videos for an hour or two a day, always in condensed format, most of the time in credits for their absolutely-non-music-related 'programming', is not going to produce a good video music awards program. When the channel altogether starts putting the importance on music again, the VMAs will follow suit. The VMAs will suck until MTV stops sucking

If I were suddenly magically the boss at MTV...can you say 'complete 100% overhall'?

Busted, Room Raiders, Made, Making The Band, The Hills, Exiled, NEXT, TRL, etc etc etc etc....basically every show on the schedule now...all axed. Cancelled. Gone. History.

I'd initiate a nation-wide search for the best VJs I could find - with actual knowledge of and passion for pop/rock/rap music not just in a current context but in a historical context, articulate speaking ability, and a telegenic personality.

I'd order a raise in the quality of the music we're airing, while staying relevant/current. Arcade Fire/Radiohead/Snow Patrol/Foo Fighters/Feist/Killers/Wilco/White Stripes/Coldplay/Green Day/Imogen/The Muse/Sigur Ros/Travis/Kings Of Leon/Franz Ferdinand/and all of the other good current bands that are talked about on the internet all the time and never seen on so-called music channels. Mixed with videos from 80s and 90s artists that owe a good deal of their fame to what MTV used to be...U2, Madonna, Depeche Mode, REM, Nirvana, Pearl Jam(although they don't have many videos to show), Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Weezer, Rage Against The Machine, RHCP, Alanis Morissette, Tori Amos, etc etc.

When these VJs are hired, I'd initiate around-the-clock videos w/ the VJs hosting, to start with.

Eventually programming would be re-entered into the equation, but all MUSICAL programming - rockumentries, live concerts, unplugged would return with a vengeance, countdowns, etc.

No reality tv. None at all. Not under my watch.

Yep.

I'd basically make it into what VH1 was in the 90s and first year or two of this decade, before they went down the shitter too.

You can't have the channel suck all the time with actual videos only shown in the end credits of reality shows and then expect the video music awards to not suck. The business that shows how little importance they put on music by airing videos for an hour or two a day, always in condensed format, most of the time in credits for their absolutely-non-music-related 'programming', is not going to produce a good video music awards program. When the channel altogether starts putting the importance on music again, the VMAs will follow suit. The VMAs will suck until MTV stops sucking

If I were suddenly magically the boss at MTV...can you say 'complete 100% overhall'?

Busted, Room Raiders, Made, Making The Band, The Hills, Exiled, NEXT, TRL, etc etc etc etc....basically every show on the schedule now...all axed. Cancelled. Gone. History.

I'd initiate a nation-wide search for the best VJs I could find - with actual knowledge of and passion for pop/rock/rap music not just in a current context but in a historical context, articulate speaking ability, and a telegenic personality.

I'd order a raise in the quality of the music we're airing, while staying relevant/current. Arcade Fire/Radiohead/Snow Patrol/Foo Fighters/Feist/Killers/Wilco/White Stripes/Coldplay/Green Day/Imogen/The Muse/Sigur Ros/Travis/Kings Of Leon/Franz Ferdinand/and all of the other good current bands that are talked about on the internet all the time and never seen on so-called music channels. Mixed with videos from 80s and 90s artists that owe a good deal of their fame to what MTV used to be...U2, Madonna, Depeche Mode, REM, Nirvana, Pearl Jam(although they don't have many videos to show), Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Weezer, Rage Against The Machine, RHCP, Alanis Morissette, Tori Amos, etc etc.

When these VJs are hired, I'd initiate around-the-clock videos w/ the VJs hosting, to start with.

Eventually programming would be re-entered into the equation, but all MUSICAL programming - rockumentries, live concerts, unplugged would return with a vengeance, countdowns, etc.

No reality tv. None at all. Not under my watch.

Yep.

I'd basically make it into what VH1 was in the 90s and first year or two of this decade, before they went down the shitter too.

:applaud: That's how it should be!

Videos. Rockumentaries. Unplugged. Countdowns. Headbanger's Ball. 120 Minutes. News with Kurt Loder and Tabitha Soren. :drool::D

when Michael Phelps is the biggest thing in your MUSIC VIDEOS awards show... there's something wrong

(unless he can beat another WR)

Ha! I doubt it since Madonna so happily endorsed Katy's music!

I know she said she likes Katy's music, but I wonder if she's ok with Katy murdering her way through such an iconic song. I don't know if Madonna owns the rights to "Like A Virgin", seeing as its one of the few songs of hers that she didn't write.

:ohmy: What other songs of hers did she not write?

"Bedtime Story", and then a couple on the first 2 albums, I believe. Oh, and "Papa Don't Preach" was originally written by someone else, but she added lyrics to it, hence the reason it says by "Brian Eliot" Additional lyrics by Madonna in the album jacket.

Back
Top Bottom